Lions vs Ravens - 9/26/21 - 1:00pm - CBS

RedRamage

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Not to put too much emphasis on a single game, but are we seeing the Lions version of what happened with the Tigers this season?  A difference in attitude in the players... a better approach to each game?

One would hope so. If it's true that Patricia was a truly bad coach (widely assumed), both from the Xs and Os as well as motivationally, then certainly better scheme and discipline should yield better results even with the same personnel. If this weren't true then good coaching vs bad coaching wouldn't matter. And if we assume that on offense some of that improvement is going to be negated by the change to a less gifted QB (also assumed), then it would be the defensive side of the ball where the most difference would appear - plus improvement is easier the worse a unit is to begin with, and the Lion's D started this season from about as bad a starting point as you could. Or another way to put it: They still won't be able to play beyond their talent level, but that could still be better than it looked last year.

Edited by gehringer_2

I kept trying to post from my phone over the weekend, and all I got was the circle of death.

I know this is a day late and very predictable to say, but here goes anyway:

- when Baltimore had the ball 4th and 19 from their own 16 with like 20 seconds left to go down 2 points, all I could think was "how are the Lions going to lose this one?"

- when they completed the pass to mid-field, I figured that the best-case scenario was a long FG attempt, but I never thought they'd line up for a bleeding 66 yarder.  I was at a restaurant, and I was too far away from the TV to see the play clock run out on the pass attempt. 

- when they lined up for the 66 yarder, Turner's 61 yarder from 2013 was replayed; that particular replay of ill fate seemed way too poetic to be avoided. 

- when the kick bounced high off the crossbar and landed on the back-side, it seemed like an extra-special FU to the Lions.

- I had not seen the half-time debacle until later in the evening. 

- Shame on the Lions and Calvin for letting this stupid controversy get to this point....obviously the Lions had every right to demand the $$ back, but obviously they did so in the face of standard practice for star players in the NFL, and the predictable PR nightmare they would face.  Calvin was dissed and pissed, as he should be, but he also knows that forcing a showdown with the Ford family basically never ends well, so he had to know his legacy would be more about his feud than his incredible play and generally great personality. 

- Shame on the fans for making the ceremony such an awful spectacle.  I get booing Sheila to some extent, obviously Sheila has not been able to convince herself and her mom/siblings (however the decision-making process works) to pay the $$.  But completely drowning her out is a massive and very personal slap in the face that I imagine Sheila and the Ford family will remember forever, as they always do, even when they deserve a slap in the face.

Now after being utterly and infamously humiliated in public, the Fords will certainly double-down and forever grimly stick to their guns.  This will demonstrate again that no matter what positive changes may occur with the Lions, they are likely to always be a very sclerotic and tone-deaf organization vis a vis the fans as long as the Fords are involved.

What a bleeding mess this organization is.  Can the personnel side of the FO and Coaching staff overcome the accursed nature of this organization and move it forward?  If they do, they should be heralded as the greatest sports management team in history.

Edited by sabretooth

5 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I kept trying to post from my phone over the weekend, and all I got was the circle of death.

I know this is a day late and very predictable to say, but here goes anyway:

- when Baltimore had the ball 4th and 19 from their own 16 with like 20 seconds left to go down 2 points, all I could think was "how are the Lions going to lose this one?"

- when they completed the pass to mid-field, I figured that the best-case scenario was a long FG attempt, but I never thought they'd line up for a bleeding 66 yarder.  I was at a restaurant, and I was too far away from the TV to see the play clock run out on the pass attempt. 

- when they lined up for the 66 yarder, Turner's 61 yarder from 2013 was replayed; that particular replay of ill fate seemed way too poetic to be avoided. 

- when the kick bounced high off the crossbar and landed on the back-side, it seemed like an extra-special FU to the Lions.

- I had not seen the half-time debacle until later in the evening. 

- Shame on the Lions and Calvin for letting this stupid controversy get to this point....obviously the Lions had every right to demand the $$ back, but obviously they did so in the face of standard practice for star players in the NFL, and the predictable PR nightmare they would face.  Calvin was dissed and pissed, as he should be, but he also knows that forcing a showdown with the Ford family basically never ends well, so he had to know his legacy would be more about his feud than his incredible play and generally great personality. 

- Shame on the fans for making the ceremony such an awful spectacle.  I get booing Sheila to some extent, obviously Sheila has not been able to convince herself and her mom/siblings (however the decision-making process works) to pay the $$.  But completely drowning her out is a massive and very personal slap in the face that I imagine Sheila and the Ford family will remember forever, as they always do, even when they deserve a slap in the face.

Now after being utterly and infamously humiliated in public, the Fords will certainly double-down and forever grimly stick to their guns.  This will demonstrate again that no matter what positive changes may occur with the Lions, they are likely to always be a very sclerotic and tone-deaf organization vis a vis the fans as long as the Fords are involved.

What a bleeding mess this organization is.  Can the personnel side of the FO and Coaching staff overcome the accursed nature of this organization and move it forward?  If they do, they should be heralded as the greatest sports management team in history.

I had the same issues with the mobile site. I found clearing cache and cookies on my browser fixed it. 

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Anzalone looked noticeably better with Barnes and Reeves-Maybin playing along side of him. 

Overall speed can cover a lot of blemishes.     Plus, it seems there may be some hints that Jamie Collins was not following protocols, playing out of position, not covering guys he was supposed to, he was kind of improvising out there and it probably threw everyone else off.    I think they were better without Flowers too.  They had more energy overall.    Maybe because these guys are from the old regime they just are not buying in 100% to what Glenn and Campbell want................HA, Glen Campbell !

Glen Campbell, Whose Hit Songs Bridged Country and Pop, Dies at 81 - The  New York Times

I've got an idea.   Since all referees wear earpieces now how about a system like the NBA shot clock.   When the shot clock expires there is a buzzer sound.    Now, I don't think they should have  a buzzer sound that plays in the whole stadium because it would have to be insanely loud and since many QBs wait until the very last second to snap the ball, if you had a snap and buzzer going off all the time it could be distracting, but how about the officials, hear a ding, like you do when you get a message on your phone and if you hear that ding before the ball is snapped, it's Delay of Game.   

I don't know, it doesn't seem all that radical to me (Unless there is an effort to favor some teams over others...........no way that could be happening). 

I agree with this:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/9/27/22695301/lions-fans-wrong-boo-ownership-ruin-calvin-johnson-hall-of-fame?fbclid=IwAR0Bqf3PIUlRbkVcNgu9XRNzdk6d9kbUIpvhqXq7CRa_0HVeg7aQMB-Z_2M

It must be satisfying to boo ownership at a certain level, but the extent of it was just embarrassing, and I believe it makes the Ford family a lot less likely to seek an amiable resolution or any resolution that Calvin would want (to the extent that Calvin's interests were even on people's minds when they kept booing and booing).

On a day where they lost in an embarrassing and historic way, it just makes it all so Lions.

Man I wish this franchise could stop slamming it's fingers in the drawers.

Sheila has tried to give the diva his unearned money. She simply can't just write a check because that would violate league rules. The Lions were willing to pay him $1.6 million just to make some promotional appearances and he refused. At some point, Calvin Johnson is going to have to work with the team as well. Frankly, I could care less if Calvin Johnson is involved with the team. The Lions paid him $113 million already. He can just go away. 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I've got an idea.   Since all referees wear earpieces now how about a system like the NBA shot clock.   When the shot clock expires there is a buzzer sound.    Now, I don't think they should have  a buzzer sound that plays in the whole stadium because it would have to be insanely loud and since many QBs wait until the very last second to snap the ball, if you had a snap and buzzer going off all the time it could be distracting, but how about the officials, hear a ding, like you do when you get a message on your phone and if you hear that ding before the ball is snapped, it's Delay of Game.   

I don't know, it doesn't seem all that radical to me (Unless there is an effort to favor some teams over others...........no way that could be happening). 

This already exists. High school officials (without an on-field play clock) wear one of these:

image.png.ff8bf9937e3fcbac86fdd266f50a4ef6.png

It clips on your belt. Click the filled-in circle for 40 seconds or the empty circle for 25. It vibrates at 10 seconds and then a steady vibration for the last 5 seconds. When it stops vibrating, time is expired. It would not be hard to connect one of these to the on-field play clock for the same effect.

There has to be a camera angle from behind Lama Jackson where you see the play clock in the other end zone, the same one he sees.  That's the one the players use.   I want to see that angle, maybe the broadcast clock was off.  

But it doesn't matter, the Fords won't make a fuss, they'll just keep getting beat down by this stuff.  

Campbell made some tactical errors this past week.  None of them were to the level of a freakout.  I mean, seriously, even with the 4th and 19 conversion they left them with a 66 yard attempt.   But I am fine with it.  This is the year to get the mistakes out of your system.  This is the year to learn what not to do for the players and coaches.   This year doesn't matter, except for draft position.    If he's doing this stuff in year 3, I'm going to be more unhappy about it.  

One of the things I am happy about was that they are not going to be married to an older player who's not working out.   They put the young guys in.  They had energy, they made plays.  The young LBs made the secondary a little better.  They made mistakes too, but you'll take that with the young guys, not guys who are 30 or over. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

• MotownWebGuy changed the title to Lions vs Ravens - 9/26/21 - 1:00pm - CBS

God I tried listening to the radio today and I just can't. For years these hosts and callers have plead for the Lions to tear it down and now that they do they bitch about how horrible the franchise and team is.

When one caller smartly says "what did you expect?" They respond with "they are worse than expected." How so? They played 3 playoff teams thus far and 2 of them came down to the wire and the other they led at halftime. 

I also don't want to hear the narrativr that the 49er game doesn't count cause they weren't "trying", if that were the case you would see things like that every time teams got big leads but guess what you don't. If you're gonna throw that 3 minutes of great football by the Lions out then why not throw the 3 minutes of terrible football out against the Packers,if you do that then that game ends up being one possession too.

Then you get the whole "well the Ravens game wasn't that close cause they dropped easy TDs", again that's not how things work, teams make mistakes every game including the Lions, yet when the Lions do those people don't say "well if they didnt do this they would've won", no they just chalk it up to football or the Lions being the Lions when in fact every team drops passes, has costly penalties, misses throws etc. it happens and is part of the game. 

The bottom line is they competed to the end against 3 playoff teams, I don't know how you can be disappointed in the team if you wanted them to tear it down. This is what you get when you do that. Ok End of Rant!

16 minutes ago, KnoxP said:

I also read 1.77 sec between game clock hitting 0 and the snap.  It’s an eye shift for the BJ from game clock to ball.

Actually the back judge is supposed to be in a position to be able to see both at the same time.   Plus everyone moves the second the ball is snapped, so you can judge it that way too.    There is no excuse for 1.77 seconds.  

Is Spartan Bob from Baltimore by any chance?  

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

But wasn't there's intentional?   They tried to draw them offsides, drew their own guy offsides, and then tried (sort of) again but only backed up 5 yards for the punt.  

Right, it was intentional but the refs were quick to whistle it. I guess the refs could have assumed it was intentional but they also couldn't be sure and assume the Lions wouldn't take a timeout. 

i think the lions have played pretty well thus far.

i also think they have a lot less talent and a lot less playmakers than these other teams and it will take some turnover luck and in game luck to keep them close and when they get unlucky they arent good enough to make up for it. the 49ers were dominating them.  conversely, they were taking it to the packers until they failed on a 4th and 1 and goff fumbled, and they should have beaten the ravens.

the niners game was a fluke finish.  the niners dominated them.  but the packers and ravens games were good games the lions played well in and got a bit unlucky to lose.

has anyone seen the jets?  or the jaguars?  those teams are much worse than detroit and arent even competing in the second halves of games.

btw, how awesome is it to watch urban meyer lose?