Option players to minor leagues?

RedRamage

Given that we've got two leagues now both in a second season, I'm wondering if the NFL might not consider doing some sort of optioning of players to the "minor" leagues for seasoning. Just thinking out loud... I'd say something like each team is allowed to "option" 5 players... these players can sign with a minor league team but the parent club still holds the rights to that player.

This would allow the player to get more seasoning/practice to develop themselves. It would give the minor leagues some more interest from NFL fans and would let the parent clubs see some developmental players in real game action.

Off the top of my head I would see the Lions "optioning" people like Obinna Eze, maybe Chase Lucas?

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Given that we've got two leagues now both in a second season, I'm wondering if the NFL might not consider doing some sort of optioning of players to the "minor" leagues for seasoning. Just thinking out loud... I'd say something like each team is allowed to "option" 5 players... these players can sign with a minor league team but the parent club still holds the rights to that player.

This would allow the player to get more seasoning/practice to develop themselves. It would give the minor leagues some more interest from NFL fans and would let the parent clubs see some developmental players in real game action.

Off the top of my head I would see the Lions "optioning" people like Obinna Eze, maybe Chase Lucas?

Thoughts?

This kinda goes back to the college realignment discussion. The Super Conference have become more of a minor league than they were in the past.

The better option would be to affiliate with one of the lesser leagues. That would be closer to what was loosely tried back in the late 60s and early 70s with entities like the Atlantic Coast Football League that had a loose affiliation with NFL teams at the time