08/31/2023 1:10 pm EDT New York Yankees vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

13 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'll throw another oddball chance in here:

Harris tried to trade Jake Rogers to the Dodgers at the deadline. I know Eduardo was the headliner... but if the rumors were correct, he was a part of the trade.

IMO: (A) Harris may be willing to move Rogers this offseason. Maybe he's looking to the future? (B) The other part of the Dodgers rumor was we were getting a catching prospect back. I'll take Dalton Rushing please, even though he's a few years away... The Dodgers have lots of decent catching prospects... maybe they think Rushing is expendable? He's a LH'ed catcher with power...

That would make Kelly the vet starter as they bring up Sands and/or Dingler next year to be shepherded by Kelly.

Maybe Harris thinks Kelly is a better shepherd than Haase?

I don’t think so. Jake’s doesn’t profile as a #1, but he’s at least a decent backup with some pop in his stick, and he is fWAR positive. At the time all we had otherwise was Haase, and I’m pretty sure Harris was never thinking of dumping Jake to go long with Haase. In fact, we now know that Haase was already toast at age 30.

I’m thinking more that they are hoping to unlock something with Kelly over the offseason and into spring. He’s had a couple 2-win-ish seasons already and is still under 30, and if they can get another win or two out of him over at least the next year, it would be worth the four bills to hang on to him as a bridge to Dingler, or as a placeholder to finding someone else on the market somehow.

I think we might agree that things are still unsettled at catcher for the Tigers.