08/31/2023 1:10 pm EDT New York Yankees vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

I keep thinking that, now that it is "his" team that is embarrassing itself at the plate, Harris will feel compelled to add some established offense through FA or (more likely) trades. And I don't mean Carson Kelly.

There will be a lot of growing pains integrating Meadows, Keith, Malloy, Perez and more from Toledo for sure (at the extent that those are not the guys traded.)

52 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I keep thinking that, now that it is "his" team that is embarrassing itself at the plate, Harris will feel compelled to add some established offense through FA or (more likely) trades. And I don't mean Carson Kelly.

There will be a lot of growing pains integrating Meadows, Keith, Malloy, Perez and more from Toledo for sure (at the extent that those are not the guys traded.)

I'm not sure Carson Kelly was added for his offense. I wonder whether he was added as a hedge against Dillon Dingler's development. If that's true, then maybe if Dingler can develop over the fall and winter (AFL ball again?) and have a good spring, Kelly gets released; and Dingler doesn't and we can't find a better option in the meantime, Kelly's option gets picked up.

Almost two-thirds of plate trips in the second half of this season have gone to players acquired under Avila, so I wouldn't regard it as being quite "Harris's" offense just yet. I don't think it was part of the plan to turn over the entire roster from "Avila's team" to Harris's by now. I think we might in the phase of his plan where they are trying to figure out who they can rescue from Avila's development hell, and who is too far gone to save. Baddoo and Short are probably on the bubble. I do think Maton comes back because his second half numbers weren't bad, actually, a lot better than Vierling, at least at the plate. We'll see what happens when Nick comes back up to Detroit tomorrow.

Is this the least trafficked game thread in MTF/MTS history?

Anyhow, on today’s audio overlay on the video on MLB.tv, Dan’s call is running maybe half a second or full second ahead of the video. This was a persistent problem all last year for home games, never road games; this year I thought early on that they fixed it and got them to synch up, but there have been maybe four or five games I’ve seen where that problem has occurred, and today is one. It’s a weird problem and even weirder that it has happened in maybe 10% or so of home games. Must be some setting that gets triggered and they can’t fix it in process. I can’t imagine what that looks like on their end. 

7 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

I wish I could’ve seen manning pitch, sounds like he was really good today. 

Mckinstry should never, ever bat above 6th little less head off. Put meadows or Vierling there and be done with it. 

Vierling is slashing .225/.258/.258 for the last month and is 3-for-18 with no walks just in the last week, so at least leading him off would give us something new to curse out Hinch over.

Just now, AZTigersfan said:

You’re back!

Lol, meh, I'm always hangin around, but not much to say about this season at this point...team is what it is, but when I see unmitigated ass a'la Lange as a closer, well, I feel compelled to push phone buttons and give the old what for.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Vierling is slashing .225/.258/.258 for the last month and is 3-for-18 with no walks just in the last week, so at least leading him off would give us something new to curse out Hinch over.

Just HAD to f with him moving to third base....the chess master...new young player doing ok , settling in , and looks like he might be good then Presto new position !

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

I'm not sure Carson Kelly was added for his offense. I wonder whether he was added as a hedge against Dillon Dingler's development. If that's true, then maybe if Dingler can develop over the fall and winter (AFL ball again?) and have a good spring, Kelly gets released...

I'll throw another oddball chance in here:

Harris tried to trade Jake Rogers to the Dodgers at the deadline. I know Eduardo was the headliner... but if the rumors were correct, he was a part of the trade.

IMO: (A) Harris may be willing to move Rogers this offseason. Maybe he's looking to the future? (B) The other part of the Dodgers rumor was we were getting a catching prospect back. I'll take Dalton Rushing please, even though he's a few years away... The Dodgers have lots of decent catching prospects... maybe they think Rushing is expendable? He's a LH'ed catcher with power...

That would make Kelly the vet starter as they bring up Sands and/or Dingler next year to be shepherded by Kelly.

Maybe Harris thinks Kelly is a better shepherd than Haase?