#141 Indiana at #17 Michigan in a football game

romad1

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

so someone persuade me that we are better off now with this massive imbalance and scores of bowl games played to empty seats and probably terrible TV ratings, than with the old system where conference winners could all end the year happy and you had bowl games that played to  established inter-conference rivalries and actually generated regional fan interest?

I think it is worse now, but a step towards better (that has taken way too long to make another). The ideal of an eight, ten, or sixteen team playoff is not something grand that needs to be invented, it's literally already done by every professional league and the lower subdivisions of college football. The fact that this "step" of going from a two-team playoff to a four-team playoff has lasted eight years though is outrageous.

At the same time I don't think the answer is to go back to when you had two teams simultaneously claiming to be National Champions like occurred before the BCS was a thing.

21 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

so someone persuade me that we are better off now with this massive imbalance and scores of bowl games played to empty seats and probably terrible TV ratings, than with the old system where conference winners could all end the year happy and you had bowl games that played to  established inter-conference rivalries and actually generated regional fan interest?

I agree with you .. we are not. This is exactly why I never wanted a playoff system, but it's had the unexpected consequence (at least to me) that I wouldn't even care anymore after 1 loss.  I remember after losing the jug in `86 I think, I was all in ready to watch them next week & root.  Now, it feels like all hope is lost.  I hate that.