Happy 25th Anniversary

I moved to Albuquerque on March 26, 1996,  I moved away on March 25, 1997.   There exactly one year. 

First day of the drive home was through New Mexico and Texas.   Second day started in in Oklahoma and by 7/8pm me in my truck and my friend John, driving the Ryder truck with all my stuff in it were in Missouri and thanks to AM skip we were able to listen to the game.     This was just before cellphones so we bought cheap walkie talkies,  we had to be within half a mile to talk and we were separated because the Ryder couldn't go over 70.    The fight happens and I am driving and all of a sudden the walkie comes alive WHERE ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU?  ARE YOU LISTENING TO THE WINGS GAME?  HOLY SHIT, IT'S GOING DOWN, MAN, IT'S GOING DOWN.     We met up and drove until about 11pm and stopped for the night in Illinois because we knew ESPN was replaying the game at 11pm.   We put the game on and due to the tiredness of the road we both fell asleep  before that part of the game played.    We saw the highlights on SportsCenter the next morning.   I knew at least 10 people who had taped the game.   I actually have it on DVD now.   

Darren McCarty was the King of Detroit that year.   

I'm kind of hoping after this anniversary, we kind of move on from it.   No doubt it was exciting and changed the direction of the team and the future.  But we've heard every story from everyone involved ad nauseum.  Let's look forward to a new generation and make some new storylines.  

2 hours ago, Shinma said:

It took a little doing and a new account, apparently there has been some changes but MERRY BEATDOWN DAY!

Old side was erased on around a days notice. I was able to grab parts of my 1967!! Leafs elimination thread. But your turtle day anniversary thread plus GdTS from the 2008 Cup seem to be lost to history. 

9 hours ago, Kacie said:

I'm kind of hoping after this anniversary, we kind of move on from it.   No doubt it was exciting and changed the direction of the team and the future.  But we've heard every story from everyone involved ad nauseum.  Let's look forward to a new generation and make some new storylines.  

You're kidding, right?    Move past the best regular season game I've ever seen?   Even without the fights it was a great game, but with the fights?   No, I will relive this one forever.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No, I will relive this one forever.  

More than 45 years since the Fidrych MNF game vs the Yankees where my parents held my 9th birthday party for my friends in the lower deck in left. Still one of the most memorable days of my life. I spend half an hour or so every year on June 28 thinking about it.

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You're kidding, right?    Move past the best regular season game I've ever seen?   Even without the fights it was a great game, but with the fights?   No, I will relive this one forever.  

Nope, not kidding.  Again, very exciting, great game and all that. Have great memories of it all.  It's just starting to get that Progressive commercial becoming your parents kind of thing.  I can remember as all the endless talk of the '68 Tigers as a kid from the "old people".  Cool at first, but after a while, you realize they're still talking about the good old days, because the current teams aren't so great.  We've heard the same stories over and over, mostly from McCarty who doesn't seem to have a whole lot else going on.  He's become a caricature, doing money making events with Claude Lemieux.  Then having Mickey pretend to do the commentary because he missed it...just all kind of cringey.  Not saying forget the whole thing happened,  or not enjoy the memories, but I'm kind of ready for a new chapter.  

3 minutes ago, Kacie said:

Nope, not kidding.  Again, very exciting, great game and all that. Have great memories of it all.  It's just starting to get that Progressive commercial becoming your parents kind of thing.  I can remember as all the endless talk of the '68 Tigers as a kid from the "old people".  Cool at first, but after a while, you realize they're still talking about the good old days, because the current teams aren't so great.  We've heard the same stories over and over, mostly from McCarty who doesn't seem to have a whole lot else going on.  He's become a caricature, doing money making events with Claude Lemieux.  Then having Mickey pretend to do the commentary because he missed it...just all kind of cringey.  Not saying forget the whole thing happened,  or not enjoy the memories, but I'm kind of ready for a new chapter.  

hockey isn't the same game anymore, you could never have anything like this again.    it would never be allowed to happen, but the refs knew that claude deserved it.  otherwise they would have thrown darren out of that game.    do you think brad marchand gets away with his bullshit back then?   no way.     

6 hours ago, lordstanley said:

More than 45 years since the Fidrych MNF game vs the Yankees where my parents held my 9th birthday party for my friends in the lower deck in left. Still one of the most memorable days of my life. I spend half an hour or so every year on June 28 thinking about it.

i still remember that game - just how electric it was - just watching on tv.   

I still remember the first start he had too.  A Saturday against the Indians (RIP) and the game started and I was watching (I was 11) and I was thinking what a goofball he was and then i went with my dad to the pool supply shop and they had it on a little black and white TV and I was watching while my dad did dad things and by the time we got home the game was already over.  i swear it ran less than 2 hours (like Armando's imperfect game).    I remember thinking there just something about that guy, but I had no idea..........

(just looked it up, his first game ran 1:57)

• 1 year later...