03/07/2023 7:00 EDT Washington Wizards vs Detroit Pistons

casimir

This was a fun game.

Ivey with 26 and 12 assists. He's really showing a ton of improvement in his game this year in so many areas that were supposed to be his weaknesses. Still makes mistakes, but I'm loving a lot of what I'm seeing. Also, he's so much better without Killian next to him taking lead guard possessions and providing nothing when he's playing off-guard. Even a washed up vet like McGruder provides more next to Ivey.

Next year we need to stagger Ivey and Cade so one of them is on the court at all times to run the show. Let Killian go and get a vet PG (similar to CoJo) who can just be insurance and locker room influence. We have our lead guards now, save those other roster spots for 3 and D wings.

Wiseman with a really nice offensive game. Benefited from Ivey screen and roll all night. Had some really good plays on defense and some really bad ones. Also, needs to get more than 5 rebounds, but you can definitely see the potential.

This team looks so much different when they have some wings who actually try on defense. Doesn't matter that one of them is on a 10-day contract (Omoruyi) and the other is just a role player (Livers). Much as I like Bogey's scoring, I wouldn't mind seeing him moved as part of a deal to bring in a 3 and D wing or another pick. We desperately need better wings around this young core of Guards and Centers.

Edited by Betrayer

30 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

This was a fun game.

Ivey with 26 and 12 assists. He's really showing a ton of improvement in his game this year in so many areas that were supposed to be his weaknesses. Still makes mistakes, but I'm loving a lot of what I'm seeing. Also, he's so much better without Killian next to him taking lead guard possessions and providing nothing when he's playing off-guard. Even a washed up vet like McGruder provides more next to Ivey.

Next year we need to stagger Ivey and Cade so one of them is on the court at all times to run the show. Let Killian go and get a vet PG (similar to CoJo) who can just be insurance and locker room influence. We have our lead guards now, save those other roster spots for 3 and D wings.

Wiseman with a really nice offensive game. Benefited from Ivey screen and roll all night. Had some really good plays on defense and some really bad ones. Also, needs to get more than 5 rebounds, but you can definitely see the potential.

This team looks so much different when they have some wings who actually try on defense. Doesn't matter that one of them is on a 10-day contract (Omoruyi) and the other is just a role player (Livers). Much as I like Bogey's scoring, I wouldn't mind seeing him moved as part of a deal to bring in a 3 and D wing or another pick. We desperately need better wings around this young core of Guards and Centers.

The other thing about Ivey.  He is 66 games into his rookie season and no signs of hitting the "rookie wall".  OK, his 3pt shooting has cratered a bit in March, but that's only 4 games.

It did appear that he had some extra heat on some passes early last night.  A bit less heat, a bit more touch.  Maybe the pass wasn't really there to begin with?  But, like you said, he's going to make mistakes.  The progression is there. 

• Like 1

Yea, there were a couple of passes that I thought were too hot, but definitely a couple that the big man should've caught regardless. One of the ones for Bagley would've been a clean layup, but he just blew the catch.

More importantly for me is that I'm seeing him make some really good reads when the defense reacts to his drives. That's the type of stuff people said he couldn't do coming out of college. Same with the mid-range game which is showing some nice signs.

Also of interest is that Cade shot 31.4% from 3 in his rookie year and Ivey is currently shooting 33.2%. He also has a better assist to turnover at 1.68 to Cade's 1.51. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Ivey is the better player, just that he should be getting a lot more love than he is, especially for the improvements he's made in just his rookie year.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

precautionary measures....

"this game is hard....he might get hurt!  better shut him down."  lol.

the okc school of management 

We might see Rick Mahorn and Greg Kelser take off the headsets and check into a game before long.