Championship
San Diego over Atlanta (4-1)

MVP - Trea Turner, Philadelphia
CY Young - Max Scherzer, NY Mets
Rookie - Jordan Walker, St. Louis

World Series 

SAN DIEGO over TORONO  4 - 2

Tiger All-Star - Eduardo Rodriguez
Tiger Deadline Trade  - Eduardo Rodriguez to Padres (for prospects we won't see until 2025)
Biggest Surprise Tiger - Nick Maton
Biggest Disappointment Tiger - Alex Lange
Tiger Rookie Of The Year - Donny Sands (but it's slim pickins, folks)
Tiger BA Leader - Nick Maton  .288
Tiger HR Leader - Javier Baez - 23
Tiger ERA Leader - Matthew Boyd  4.22
Tigers Wins Leader - Matthew Boyd - 11  (11-14)
Tigers Saves Leader - Alex Lange - 16 (Save by committee)
Tiger MVP - 'Harvey' Baez  (.264 BA,  .319 OBP,  23 HR,  79 RBI)

Miguel Cabrera goes on the 60 Day DL in May and then again in Mid July.  Donny Sands fills much of the slot at DH and does very well at drawing walks and showing some surprising power (.374 OBP, 12 HR).   Miggy is reactivated with less than 10 games left in the season.   He steps up to the plate one final time in the last game of the season at Comerica.  In the 8th he is brought in as a pinch hitter (something the team indicated would happen, and the reason the game is a sellout). The Guardians (having clinched their playoff slot) unintentionally intentionally walk him.  Miggy is taken out of the game for  pinch runner Parker Meadows) and the crowd gives him a loud, thunderous standing ovation as he slowly walks off the field, his Tiger teammates and family standing outside the dugout to greet him.   Chris Illitch, overcome with the emotion of no longer having to pay him, cries one single tear.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

I like your W/L prediction for the Tigers—I would have guessed 75 wins.

individual predictions are interesting.  I agree ERod gets dealt, but I’m predicting to the Yankees.  Their starting rotation is a mess and they have too much invested in that team to win to trust their minors guys.  We might have to take on another contract (ie, Donaldson or LeMehieu), to get a good prospect or two in return.

I think our team ROY will be Carpenter.  I don’t see Sands getting called up, barring an injury or poor performance by our catchers.

I also think Greene will lead in BA and HR.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I like your W/L prediction for the Tigers—I would have guessed 75 wins.

individual predictions are interesting.  I agree ERod gets dealt, but I’m predicting to the Yankees.  Their starting rotation is a mess and they have too much invested in that team to win to trust their minors guys.  We might have to take on another contract (ie, Donaldson or LeMehieu), to get a good prospect or two in return.

I think our team ROY will be Carpenter.  I don’t see Sands getting called up, barring an injury or poor performance by our catchers.

I also think Greene will lead in BA and HR.

I went with 74-88 based on this...........

Last year

- Every starter from our O.D. rotation had a long term injury/illness

- Our hottest hitter early and one of the guys we were depending on in the everyday lineup got Vertigo

- Our star rookie broke his foot the week before the season

- Our other star rookie simply wasn't ready but they had no real options at the position so they let him stay too long

- Four starting position players (Schoop, Candy, Javy and Grossman) all had career-worst hitting years, and by far

Even with all that, they managed not to lose 100 games.   There is no way that their luck could be close to that bad again,  so only on that alone, I'm giving them another 8 wins.    I think they'll hit alot better and draw a lot more walks.  Their rotation is rocky at best, but they should score more.    How could they not? 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

This team should be better than last season.  It should post a better record than last season if they played last season's schedule.  But fewer games within a weak division should pull that improved record down a bit.  That's a bit of a factor bridging from one season to the next that I think is easy to forget.

I think I am more interested in individual performances this season. I can handle a losing Tigers' team if there is competitive play and promise from the youngsters.  Rebounds from the veterans are reasonable bets, I think.  But I want to see what happens with the guys that could be here in 2025.  Can they be components on a winning team in a couple of seasons?

And, for that matter, what about guys at Toledo/Erie/West Michigan?  What's the development process look like this season and next?  What kinds of strides can be made?

The evened-out schedule may have an effect, but it’s not as though all 24 games we lose against division rivals are coming from the Royals and going to the Dodgers and the Braves. A lot of them are coming from the Guardians and White Sox and Twins, who we’ve struggled against, and going to the Nationals and Reds and Rockies and Diamondbacks. We may lose a little bit in the transition, but I don’t think it will be as dramatic as all that.

I think this team is a 72 win team. I see them struggling to achieve a 12-28 in the first forty games. After the first forty, the schedule becomes a little easier over the long haul. The only thing that concerns me after game 1 is that the 2023 TORK! looks exactly like the 2022 TORK!