Things to do around Pictured Rocks?

Pasties. I tried one at this little place up by the falls and it was horrible. Then I tried one in St. Ignace and it was fantastic. We bought some frozen ones to bring home.

Also, if you haven't done the bridge walk on Labor Day, that is really cool too. Plan on a parking nightmare when you get there but exiting is velvety smooth thanks to the MSP.

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Pasties. I tried one at this little place up by the falls and it was horrible. Then I tried one in St. Ignace and it was fantastic. We bought some frozen ones to bring home.

Also, if you haven't done the bridge walk on Labor Day, that is really cool too. Plan on a parking nightmare when you get there but exiting is velvety smooth thanks to the MSP.

I'll vouch for the Labor Day walk - It really is cool.  Pasties are one thing I've never been a fan of, for exactly that reason. You never know what you're gonna get. It's just a pot pie.

On 8/2/2023 at 12:18 PM, Toddwert said:

You have to stop at the Mystery Spot just west of St. Ignace

No thank you. Probably about 10 years ago my extended family was vacationing in Mackinaw City and one of the sibling's families when up to see that. Said it a total waste of money.

On 8/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, Biff Mayhem said:

I keep trying to talk my wife into doing it... how does it operate? Do you walk from "land" all the way over to "land"? Can you walk on the metal grate part?  Do you have to walk back over?

8 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

No thank you. Probably about 10 years ago my extended family was vacationing in Mackinaw City and one of the sibling's families when up to see that. Said it a total waste of money.

Oh it is … I guess im more in to hooky old fashion roadside attraction of it

On 8/4/2023 at 2:33 PM, RedRamage said:

I keep trying to talk my wife into doing it... how does it operate? Do you walk from "land" all the way over to "land"? Can you walk on the metal grate part?  Do you have to walk back over?

You can walk as far as you want. You start at one end and most people go halfway and then walk back (that's about 5 miles) but you can turn around at any point or you can walk the whole distance as there is a ferry service back to where you started. You can walk on the grate (which doesn't start until about a mile from the start) or just walk on the solid surface. 

When you get back, there are people handing out certificates which I though was kinda nifty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

You can walk as far as you want. You start at one end and most people go halfway and then walk back (that's about 5 miles) but you can turn around at any point or you can walk the whole distance as there is a ferry service back to where you started. You can walk on the grate (which doesn't start until about a mile from the start) or just walk on the solid surface. 

When you get back, there are people handing out certificates which I though was kinda nifty.

How much is the ferry trip back?

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

How much is the ferry trip back?

I don't know we've never done it. We went halfway last year. My wife wants to go early this year so we can do the whole bridge so we'll see....

We get a hotel the night before, get up, eat breakfast and head to the bridge. We hang around St Ignace after the bridge walk because of the traffic backup (which clears out by about 1:30). 

Plan on 6 hours back from the bridge to GR as tons of people with campers are heading south after the holiday weekend.