Lidstrom hired as VP of Hockey Ops

oblong

I didn’t see anything from the press conference.  Is this a real job or just an Al Kaine/Willie Horton thing?  Is he moving back to Detroit?  In other words is he Vice President of hockey ops or a Vice President of hockey ops?  There’s a difference.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I didn’t see anything from the press conference.  Is this a real job or just an Al Kaine/Willie Horton thing?  Is he moving back to Detroit?  In other words is he Vice President of hockey ops or a Vice President of hockey ops?  There’s a difference.  

I read somewhere he is staying in Sweden but will be involved in helping develop the defense (by watching European prospects in person and US games on TV I guess?) and be a sounding board for Yzerman on moves, etc.  Steve was VP of Hockey OPs under Holland (I am pretty sure) so this is probably a way for him to get into the management side of it slowly I would think.  Seems like a lot like what Kronwall does over in Europe with the defense prospects but not as direct on ice and more... overall focused I would imagine.