01/14/2022 07:00 EST Toronto Raptors @ Detroit Pistons

casimir

Looks like Cade, Bey, and Diallo all had nice games.  That's encouraging.  I think Diallo is getting close to the point now where you feel like he is part of your future.  He has fit in as a role player next to Cade better than I expected given that he is not really a shooter.  But he does a good job of blending in, picking his spots, and scoring efficiently.  

10 hours ago, Hart said:

Looks like Cade, Bey, and Diallo all had nice games.  That's encouraging.  I think Diallo is getting close to the point now where you feel like he is part of your future.  He has fit in as a role player next to Cade better than I expected given that he is not really a shooter.  But he does a good job of blending in, picking his spots, and scoring efficiently.  

I don't know if this is entirely accurate, or if last night's game in particular is just in the forefront of this thought.  Diallo does a pretty good job of finding holes in the defense around the basket when not being a primary piece in a play.  Its not necessarily always there to get to the basket and await a pass for a layup, but there were several times last night that went to the basket and made himself available.

Bey suddenly appears to be a different player than earlier this season.  There was a game or two a few weeks ago where it seemed like there was a concerted effort to get him some layups early in the game.  Probably a play to get his confidence up and hope that it translated to out beyond the arc?

I'm still hopefully that Hayes & Cunningham can become a cohesive backcourt.  I know Hayes has not exactly lived up to the hype and the early returns suggest a whiff on picking him rather than Tyrese Halliburton.  Hayes won't be someone to build around, but can he still become a good complimentary piece of the puzzle?  Last season was rough between his play, the roster, his injury, etc.  This season there was the COVID break.  I know this is going to sound like an excuse, but that's quite a set of obstacles to deal with as a young player.  Like I said, it ain't been pretty so far, but hopefully there's more consistency going forward so that he can develop into something.

9 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't know if this is entirely accurate, or if last night's game in particular is just in the forefront of this thought.  Diallo does a pretty good job of finding holes in the defense around the basket when not being a primary piece in a play.  Its not necessarily always there to get to the basket and await a pass for a layup, but there were several times last night that went to the basket and made himself available.

Bey suddenly appears to be a different player than earlier this season.  There was a game or two a few weeks ago where it seemed like there was a concerted effort to get him some layups early in the game.  Probably a play to get his confidence up and hope that it translated to out beyond the arc?

I'm still hopefully that Hayes & Cunningham can become a cohesive backcourt.  I know Hayes has not exactly lived up to the hype and the early returns suggest a whiff on picking him rather than Tyrese Halliburton.  Hayes won't be someone to build around, but can he still become a good complimentary piece of the puzzle?  Last season was rough between his play, the roster, his injury, etc.  This season there was the COVID break.  I know this is going to sound like an excuse, but that's quite a set of obstacles to deal with as a young player.  Like I said, it ain't been pretty so far, but hopefully there's more consistency going forward so that he can develop into something.

Diallo really started to shine when Cade was out and now he is continuing to find a role with Cade back.  I would say that is the basis of my comments. 

I was never concerned about Bey.  As far as positions go, I do find it interesting that the Pistons still list Cade as a starting guard and Diallo as a starting forward.  It doesn't really matter who is listed where but I do prefer Cade defending bigger/ slower guys than smaller/quicker guys.  And I do think the easiest path to project success forward at this point is some kind of lineup that includes Cade and Bey next to two other wing players (including a point guard).  Similar to what they are doing now.  But I am more a seller than buyer on Hayes at this point.  Not that I don't think he can't carve out a productive career but I am just not sure I want it to be as a starter with the Pistons.  

• Like 1

Hami has been big for this team in their recent success. He simply brings something nobody else does with his elite athleticism and ability to attack. 

I just don’t understand Casey’s reluctance to play him the 4th - last night I watched the lead whittle away while Hami rode the pine until the 2:50 mark in the 4th, even though he was clearly one of the biggest difference makers in creating the lead. Same thing the other night. 

Also, once again the team was better with a big man who is an offensive threat on the floor. It was to our benefit that Stew got into foul trouble. 

should we start talking about the 6-10 pick? This recent winning is nice, but…

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Hami has been big for this team in their recent success. He simply brings something nobody else does with his elite athleticism and ability to attack. 

I just don’t understand Casey’s reluctance to play him the 4th - last night I watched the lead whittle away while Hami rode the pine until the 2:50 mark in the 4th, even though he was clearly one of the biggest difference makers in creating the lead. Same thing the other night. 

Also, once again the team was better with a big man who is an offensive threat on the floor. It was to our benefit that Stew got into foul trouble. 

should we start talking about the 6-10 pick? This recent winning is nice, but…

While I would like another top 3 pick, is it as crucial this year as last year?  I would say no.  We have a lot riding on Cade now and free agency is an option to get him some help as well.  

every high pick is crucial for this team.  if they can get a top 3 pick and get a second star to go with (hopefully) cade being a star, that makes the "process" much closer to coming to fruition.

cause hayes, bey, and stewart are just role players if they continue to develop.  none of them will ever be stars.

• Like 1