2024 Draft

6 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Drafting Cole Eiserman opens up a lot of joke potential (if it is pronounced like Yzerman), I'm in.

That would involve not getting f’d over in the draft lottery and we know how that goes.  

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

Drafting Cole Eiserman opens up a lot of joke potential (if it is pronounced like Yzerman), I'm in.

We already have a Lindstrom on the team too. Last time we had both a Lindstrom and an Eiserman on the roster I'd reckon to say we were pretty good.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, buddha said:

barring big injuries like last year they'll be in the 10-14 range, imo.

You're dreaming. We gonna suck next year. But I have a feeling thats it after that. We'll be sellers at the deadline and call up a lot of prospects next year I'm thinkin. Then when free agency starts, we gonna sign some good boys to go with the young core. Hopefully we'll be trading our first and second rounders to suppliment all that.  We will have a nice team after next year I'm guessing.

7 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

You're dreaming. We gonna suck next year. But I have a feeling thats it after that. We'll be sellers at the deadline and call up a lot of prospects next year I'm thinkin. Then when free agency starts, we gonna sign some good boys to go with the young core. Hopefully we'll be trading our first and second rounders to suppliment all that.  We will have a nice team after next year I'm guessing.

we picked 9th this year.  predicting were going to pick 10th to 14th is not saying were going to be good.

i actually think they'll be ok next year with predictable growth from the young players and the depth they've bought this summer.

if they get a debrincat they might actually finish 6th in the division next season...

it's two years from now, when seider and raymond should just be entering the beginning of their primes, that they should be competing for a playoff spot.  then the question will be how we get rid of chairot and holl's contracts...

• Like 1

I think the Wings will be much improved next season.  Adding Compher, Kostin, Sprong and Fischer while losing Zadina, Erne, Suter and guys like Chiasson/Czarnik/Sundqvist who were there part time is a big net win in my eyes.  Replacing Oesterle and Hagg with Holl and Gostisbehere is another improvement overall in my eyes, even with them not being perfect players.  I have to imagine the corpse of Remier and Lyon can stitch together something similar or better to last season's backup goaltending, hopefully while giving Husso more breaks.  Most of the roster will have played in Lalonde's system for a year and feel more familiar.  Compher adds depth and PKing.  Kostin is big and had the second most fights last season I think.  He looked good last playoffs too i thought. Sprong is great depth scoring, will hopefully help the power play.  Fischer is hard to play against, hopefully will help in situations like against Ottawa last season where the Wings got pushed around.  I can see what Yzerman is going for, and I think the Wings will definitely be a threat for the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I think the Wings will be much improved next season.  Adding Compher, Kostin, Sprong and Fischer while losing Zadina, Erne, Suter and guys like Chiasson/Czarnik/Sundqvist who were there part time is a big net win in my eyes.  Replacing Oesterle and Hagg with Holl and Gostisbehere is another improvement overall in my eyes, even with them not being perfect players.  I have to imagine the corpse of Remier and Lyon can stitch together something similar or better to last season's backup goaltending, hopefully while giving Husso more breaks.  Most of the roster will have played in Lalonde's system for a year and feel more familiar.  Compher adds depth and PKing.  Kostin is big and had the second most fights last season I think.  He looked good last playoffs too i thought. Sprong is great depth scoring, will hopefully help the power play.  Fischer is hard to play against, hopefully will help in situations like against Ottawa last season where the Wings got pushed around.  I can see what Yzerman is going for, and I think the Wings will definitely be a threat for the playoffs.

i agree with this.  they are getting closer to a team that can run four lines.  their "problem" remains what we all know: no top goal scorers.  they still need 2 or maybe even 3 debrincats to come along.  hopefully raymond takes a leap this year.

as of now i dont think theyre a playoff team because the east is stacked.  pittsburgh, boston, tampa, and maybe the rangers are major regression candidates in the next two years.  but thinking they'll fall apart next season might be wishful thinking.

i see the wings falling short next season, even if they do get debrincat UNLESS they get major leaps internally.  i think those leaps are coming, but not next season.

im an yzerman slappy, but i think the franchise is well positioned for the first time in a decade.  i hope they dont have to give up boston's pick next year for debrincat, but even if they do, they now have meaningful prospects who are showing real promise.

again, im a slappy.  but im not too depressed about the wings like some people seem to be.

• 10 months later...
On 7/5/2023 at 2:24 PM, slothfacekilla said:

Eiserman is within range but I don't think he makes it all the way to 15.

Does Stevie want to trade up in this draft...?

On a WAG I'll say no.

I like the 2-way forwards/ power forwards being mocked in our range. Beckett Sennecke seems just slightly out of our reach... But I really like the looks of Michael Brandsegg-Nygard who is often mocked to us. Other options that might be in our range: Sennecke or Eiserman (if one of them falls to us), Igor Chernyshov, maybe Liam Greentree or Cole Beaudoin as fallback options.

...  Eiserman scares the crap out of me since he seems to be all offense zero defense.

Which is why I absolutely would prefer Sennecke or MBN ahead of him. Even if he falls to us and those two are gone... I think I'd look at Chernyshov as the next best option... and he's in Russia.

If it's the top two gone and Eiserman staring at us... Actually, I hope Stevie can engineer a trade-down...

I think MBN might be gone before the Wings' pick with how he played at worlds or whatever they call it.  Eiserman scares the crap out of me since he seems to be all offense zero defense.

eiserman might be mantha 2.0.

What about Iginla's kid? I know Tij Iginla isn't the type of power forward with size, who can win the tough battles in the corners. Smaller size, a lack of physicality and defensive hockey don't appear to be his strengths from what I've read. Scouting reports do seem to indicate that he's a really good skater (albeit not the fastest guy on the ice), a good puck handler with a nice pass, and a prolific scorer. He had 47 goals on 84 points total in the WHL last season, so he's gone some scoring prowess as well. He can also startle between C/F and give us versatility there.

15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What about Iginla's kid? I know Tij Iginla isn't the type of power forward with size, who can win the tough battles in the corners. Smaller size, a lack of physicality and defensive hockey don't appear to be his strengths from what I've read. Scouting reports do seem to indicate that he's a really good skater (albeit not the fastest guy on the ice), a good puck handler with a nice pass, and a prolific scorer. He had 47 goals on 84 points total in the WHL last season, so he's gone some scoring prowess as well. He can also startle between C/F and give us versatility there.

cant imagine he'll het past calgary at 9.

wings lack elite skill players in their system.  its the one thing they lack and also the one thing that's hardest to find.  not sure if iginla fits that bill, eiserman has elite scoring skill, but lacks drive and defensive responsibilty.  

i doubt either of them are there.

michael hage was brought up on wwp today.  nygard screams yzerman pick.  jack of all trades, elite master of none, hard worker, responsible, plays in sweden.

15 hours ago, buddha said:

lots of variation from the consensus.

lindstrom at 2?  levshunov at 10?  hage at 40?

Ya I'm kind of shocked at some of their rankings here, it should be interesting to see how these stack up after the draft because I'm not feeling super confident about them.  Writeups are still super interesting but still...

This is from Pronman at the Athletic (I thought this was a very interesting comment.. and I like it!!!):

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5524296/2024/06/18/2024-nhl-draft-biggest-questions/

Where does my team need to pick to have a realistic expectation of landing a future top-six forward or top-four defenseman?

Pronman: I have 18 players in this draft that I’m very passionate about and project as top-six forwards or top-four defensemen on competitive teams.

Wheeler: A clear top-17 emerged for me in this draft, and I think all of those players project as that caliber of player. I expect 14 of those players to be gone in the front half of the first round but there are three who could conceivably linger into the late teens or 20s: Michael Brandsegg-Nygard (the least likely of the bunch to linger), Trevor Connelly and Michael Hage, all of whom are forwards. There are others who I think could become that (players like Solberg and Adam Jiricek could become second-pairing D, for example, and there are others who will develop nicely and become second-line forwards) but my “expectation” does lower once those 17 are taken. If your team is drafting in the top 15 this year, you’re going to get a very good player. There may be a small group of them available for a short time after that.