Northwestern Hazing Scandle

CMRivdogs

On 7/14/2023 at 10:26 AM, gehringer_2 said:

It's a false premise anyway. It's experiencing and overcoming *shared* meaningful adversity that creates corps bonding. You don't get it from abuse manufactured and applied from within by other members inside the group.

The only point of hazing at any level is to make bullies feel good about themselves.  The stuff about bonding is BS.  

they've now filed suit, unsurprisingly.

in other news, a "class action" against the cpd just netted a $5 million settlement.  of the original 35 plaintiffs, 30 dropped out.  the remaining five will split $120k.  the lawyers will net 4.8 million.

it will be the same here.  as usual, the plaintiff's lawyers will make millions and the plaintiff's themselves will make nothing.  which is fitting considering they have no real injuries from being "hazed."

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The only point of hazing at any level is to make bullies feel good about themselves.  The stuff about bonding is BS.  

What’s the operational definition of hazing?

I’m not defending hazing by any means, but I think the conversation behind what is acceptable in social groups, on teams, on college campuses, etc., and what is not, has to be grounded in some shared understanding of what that word means. It seems murky at the institutional level.

48 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

What’s the operational definition of hazing?

I’m not defending hazing by any means, but I think the conversation behind what is acceptable in social groups, on teams, on college campuses, etc., and what is not, has to be grounded in some shared understanding of what that word means. It seems murky at the institutional level.

Anything that is done deliberately physically hurt or humiliate somebody is just bullying and has no purpose other than to make the bullies feel good about themselves.  Other types of hazing might be acceptable, but I don't think it's ever necessary for bonding. 

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Anything that is done deliberately physically hurt or humiliate somebody is just bullying and has no purpose other than to make the bullies feel good about themselves.  Other types of hazing might be acceptable, but I don't think it's ever necessary for bonding. 

I agree that by this definition hazing should be handled swiftly and strongly and that there is no excuse for it, just as there is no excuse for bullying. Some institutions have (or at least utilize it) a definition much more broad than that. For instance, the fraternity advisor at my undergraduate school once told me that four guys, all of legal drinking age, drinking on a couch and playing video games, could be considered hazing if one of the four guys was an incoming member or incoming leader to a mutual social group (not just fraternities). Because he could plausibly in some nonexistent reality feel coerced into the drinking.

Personally, I just call four guys drinking on a couch and playing video games pathetic. Not hazing. 🙂