Northwestern Hazing Scandle

CMRivdogs

I have a relative that is a college football coach.  He once told me the coaches always know.

That article didn't even mention the worst allegation.  They did something called the car wash.  Guys would get naked and stand at the entrance to the showers and spin around.  Then the underclassman would have to walk through the naked spinning guys to get into the shower.

even if he didnt know, its his job to know.  he's in charge of the program.

that said, there are conflicting reports about whether this happened and the extent it did, with current players now saying the "whistleblower" told them he was just doing it to get fitzgerald fired, and that everything he's said has been overblown.

i have no doubt that everything is overblown and taken out of context because its a media report.  however, its probably still enough to get fitzgerald fired.

or he can do penance 2023 and do some "therapy" and go on his "personal journey" to understand how his actions injured people.  issue a statement about how he has a lot to learn and he takes that seriously, yadda yadda yadda.

that worked for ferentz at iowa.

8 hours ago, buddha said:

or he can do penance 2023 and do some "therapy" and go on his "personal journey" to understand how his actions injured people.  issue a statement about how he has a lot to learn and he takes that seriously, yadda yadda yadda.

that worked for ferentz at iowa.

It worked for Bob Huggins until...

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I guess I struggle to see how that exists anymore, particularly at a school like Northwestern.

I think it being Northwestern probably made him more likely to be fired than had it been an SEC school not named Vanderbilt.

The highest echelon of universities care about their public image, making money, and not much else. Some are better at protecting their image than others, but I don’t think Northwestern’s ultimate decision makers would hesitate for a second to burn entire athletic programs to the ground, so long as it the cost in money doesn’t outweigh the benefit to image… fresh off a 1-11 season, this was easy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think it being Northwestern probably made him more likely to be fired than had it been an SEC school not named Vanderbilt.

The highest echelon of universities care about their public image, making money, and not much else. Some are better at protecting their image than others, but I don’t think Northwestern’s ultimate decision makers would hesitate for a second to burn entire athletic programs to the ground, so long as it the cost in money doesn’t outweigh the benefit to image… fresh off a 1-11 season, this was easy.

he would have been fine with 1-11 as long as there was no scandal.  he's a god at northwestern.  if anything, he would have been moved up the ladder to some sort of admin position.

but he pissed off a player who went public with allegations that mobilized the moral outrage merchants in the chicago media so he had to go.  

brian kelly kills a kid at notre dame and the chicago media barely blinks.  fitzgerald's team did naked pull ups and some kid cries about it and the media goes nuts.

must be baseball season.  slow news time.

8 hours ago, buddha said:

he would have been fine with 1-11 as long as there was no scandal.  he's a god at northwestern.  if anything, he would have been moved up the ladder to some sort of admin position.

but he pissed off a player who went public with allegations that mobilized the moral outrage merchants in the chicago media so he had to go.  

brian kelly kills a kid at notre dame and the chicago media barely blinks.  fitzgerald's team did naked pull ups and some kid cries about it and the media goes nuts.

must be baseball season.  slow news time.

Chicago & national media.  It is criminal how this was swept under the rug.

• Like 1

Maybe a lot of these athletes would be a lot happier if they just came out of the closet and admitted they're gay or bisexual, because so many of these hazing scandals could lead one to no other conclusion.     It's freaking weird. 

My only hazing was in college radio where you'd get thwacked in the head with an album (in it's cover) while talking on the air.  If you got through it without messing up your break , you were gold..........if you messed up your break you got TWO albums in the sleeve,  then three and so on.      No way that would fly today because technically it's an assault, but nobody really got hurt and it sure wasn't anything sexual.    (you have no idea how many completely useless albums our college station would get - - stuff that would never get played and just took up space).   

18 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Maybe a lot of these athletes would be a lot happier if they just came out of the closet and admitted they're gay or bisexual, because so many of these hazing scandals could lead one to no other conclusion.     It's freaking weird. 

My only hazing was in college radio where you'd get thwacked in the head with an album (in it's cover) while talking on the air.  If you got through it without messing up your break , you were gold..........if you messed up your break you got TWO albums in the sleeve,  then three and so on.      No way that would fly today because technically it's an assault, but nobody really got hurt and it sure wasn't anything sexual.    (you have no idea how many completely useless albums our college station would get - - stuff that would never get played and just took up space).   

Seems you missed the days of drooped trousers, burning copy, and such. i heard tales of one young lady who when seeing a jock lay a private part on while teasing the news nonchalantly used her fist as a hammer...

By the university's definition following a lengthy investigation, I was deemed to have been a part of a group that was the victim of hazing in undergrad. Nothing sexual, coercive, or even what I would consider bad. There was voluntary drinking (some by under 21s, appalling I know) and that drinking went against university rules. Coupled with it being an outgoing/incoming leadership event, which made the university think it could have been coercive. That was the net sum of it. It only came up because a disgruntled ex-member who had been there got upset over a year later and decided to say report it to admin because they knew it would cause all sorts of problems. Which it did.

I was also in a fraternity and was "hazed" without it being reported. Nothing sexual. Maybe a little coercive in that all your friends are doing these ridiculous tasks and you're "supposed" to do it to get in, but nothing outrageous was expected, boundaries were completely respected, and anyone definitely could have said no. I said no to one or two. Some others I joined with did not drink (by choice) and that was totally fine.

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

you are the weirdest person i have ever (virtually) met.  🙂

This isn't necessarily about the incident here but in regards to hazing in general I never really understood it and it certainly has no place in this day and age.

Some relatively "good natured" rookie hazing I'm not totally against like for instance I remember going to a Tigers game and one of the teams had the rookies carry out some of the equipment in pink Barbie(or some girl based toy like that) themed backpacks to the bullpen but the harsh and vile things that you hear about still should be outlawed and any coach that oversees that and lets it go on needs to be reprimanded or fired. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

This isn't necessarily about the incident here but in regards to hazing in general I never really understood it and it certainly has no place in this day and age.

Some relatively "good natured" rookie hazing I'm not totally against like for instance I remember going to a Tigers game and one of the teams had the rookies carry out some of the equipment in pink Barbie(or some girl based toy like that) themed backpacks to the bullpen but the harsh and vile things that you hear about still should be outlawed and any coach that oversees that and lets it go on needs to be reprimanded or fired. 

It's a false premise anyway. It's experiencing and overcoming *shared* meaningful adversity that creates corps bonding. You don't get it from abuse manufactured and applied from within by other members inside the group.

• Like 2