Tweets Not Rendering in Firefox?

chasfh

Question

This would happen to me occasionally at MTS but now I see it happening here, too: tweets are not rendering properly in Firefox on PC. It started happening just today.

This is what I see in FFX:

image.png.a17f92841f6ac23ca04f2fed49ef8fa4.png

And when I open the same post in another browser, like Edge, I see the tweet rendered:

image.png.600fcb0d954ff7224714d2698eac6ade.png

I tried disable some of my blockers like uBlock and Adblocker and Malwarebytes for just this website and that didn't do the trick. I logged out, problem still there. I cleared my MTF cookies, still happening.

Any feel for what about Firefox might be causing this?

3 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This would happen to me occasionally at MTS but now I see it happening here, too: tweets are not rendering properly in Firefox on PC. It started happening just today.

This is what I see in FFX:

image.png.a17f92841f6ac23ca04f2fed49ef8fa4.png

And when I open the same post in another browser, like Edge, I see the tweet rendered:

image.png.600fcb0d954ff7224714d2698eac6ade.png

I tried disable some of my blockers like uBlock and Adblocker and Malwarebytes for just this website and that didn't do the trick. I logged out, problem still there. I cleared my MTF cookies, still happening.

Any feel for what about Firefox might be causing this?

Running FF 94.0 with AdBlockPlus in linux and tweets are rendering OK.

But yes, I have seen this behavior. It has come and gone with various updates. But I'm usually on Fedora Linux which is such a fast moving target that by the time you figure out where the bugs are they've fixed them and something different is broken. I have also had Safari not load tweets in Big Sur - but it looks different - it doesn't just give you the text and refuse the image, you just get a blank area and have to double click in the empty field to get it to load.

I found the source of the problem: it was because of an add-on called DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials. There is a specific setting within that blocks the rendering of tweets on other websites within Firefox:

image.thumb.png.1e6d7aa2ef8e8a9bddcf90e0bd957de1.png

Change the setting and the tweets are allowed through.

So ... there you go.