The best Lion DE since...

Just thought this might be something interesting to do during the off season. Let's start a discussion about some of our players. The point here isn't to say that player-X is the best Lion ever or that he's the best player in the NFL ever, or even necessarily the best player in the NFL right now. It's more of a talk like: "I haven't see the Lions field a player of that quality since the 80s..." or something like that.

We'll start with Hutch:

Hutchinson is the best DE the Lions have had since __________________________ .

Oh man, I completely forgot about Ansah. Yeah, health was an issue for him. Only two years did he play all 16 games.

Porcher is who I was going to say too. I just looked back on this guys career briefly... poor dude probably thought he was coming into the Lions at just the right time.

1991: Lions make it to the Conference Championship
1992: Lions draft Porcher, but then go 5-11... okay, well, bad seasons happen...
'93, '94, '95: Made the playoffs but bounced in out in the first game. Still, Lions did make the playoffs...
1996: Missed the playoffs, Fontes fired.
'97-00: In and out of the playoffs under Ross, who quits mid-season. Then in comes Millen... 

Poor guy thought he was coming into an up and coming team which just sat in "middle of the pack limbo" for most of his career before bottoming out at the end of it.

30 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

...Porcher is who I was going to say too. I just looked back on this guys career briefly... poor dude probably thought he was coming into the Lions at just the right time.

1991: Lions make it to the Conference Championship
1992: Lions draft Porcher, but then go 5-11... okay, well, bad seasons happen...
'93, '94, '95: Made the playoffs but bounced in out in the first game. Still, Lions did make the playoffs...
1996: Missed the playoffs, Fontes fired.
'97-00: In and out of the playoffs under Ross, who quits mid-season. Then in comes Millen... 

Poor guy thought he was coming into an up and coming team which just sat in "middle of the pack limbo" for most of his career before bottoming out at the end of it.

I was surprised at his stats.  In the 6 years of play between '96-'01 he had 68 sacks.  That's top notch.

Edited by KnoxP
typo

10 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

In five years with the Lions Baker had 74 sacks. ...56.5 in his first 3 years. I knew he had a lot of sacks because I watched him play..had no idea he had so many

Baker was a little before I started watching football so didn't ever see him play, but yeah... 23 sacks in his rookie year? Looks like he might have gotten hurt in '81? His stats started dropping. Had a few decent years with St. Louis after he left the Lions, but was never the same as those first three years in Detroit.

image.png.35f7e15180154e10f27d764da049cdeb.png