Need a new Goalie (work with me here)

Ok, just curious. Like I mentioned in another thread, I don't know jack about NHL.. But when it comes to baseball, I'm pretty in tune I think. So applying the same logic of trading prospects for an established player.......

If we wanted a good true #1 goalie lets say Andrei Vasilevskiy, what would we have to give up in terms of prospect value? Using NHL.com's prospect list (and thehockeywriters.com), what would it cost for him???....

1. Simon Edvinsson
2. Marco Kasper
3. Nate Danielson
4. Axel Sandin Pellikka
5. Carter Mazur
6. Albert Johannson
7. Cossa
8. Wallinder
9. Dmitry Buchelnikov
10. Amadeus Lombardi

Would Edvinsson and Carter Mazur and Cossa be enough? Or would it cost more or less (is there a combination of our top 10 that would be enough)? Just trying to gauge value. Thanks.

It is a bit tough to say since "true" #1 goalies don't get traded very often.  I think your proposed deal is too rich honestly, probably looking at a first round pick + a mid tier prospect.  Edvinsson to me is worth more than their current first round pick since he's NHL ready and still on his ELC.  I'm sure the Wings would rather include someone like Johannson or Wallinder along with a pick since they have a decent amount of defense in their system.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/transactions/_/start/2021-05-28/end/2024-06-11/position/g/type/traded

Darcy Kuemper at the 2021 deadline got a 1st round pick + a former second round pick.  Probably the closest thing I saw at the above link.  If you go back to the Leafs acquiring Freddy Andersen a while back he fetched a first and second round pick.  Markstrom is probably the best goalie available but he has been pretty up and down and is already 32 years old (older than both Kuemper--though he was 31--and Andersen for those trades).  A bunch of other teams are rumored to be interested as well.  With Cossa having a very strong back half to last season and Augustine waiting in the wings, I would be shocked if the Wings ponied up for a goalie via trade especially in a bidding war. 

Brossoit could be a decent option on the free agent market.  I expect the wings to sign someone like Stolarz to pair with Lyon for a season then Cossa in the NHL the following year, something along those lines.

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

It is a bit tough to say since "true" #1 goalies don't get traded very often.  I think your proposed deal is too rich honestly, probably looking at a first round pick + a mid tier prospect.  Edvinsson to me is worth more than their current first round pick since he's NHL ready and still on his ELC.  I'm sure the Wings would rather include someone like Johannson or Wallinder along with a pick since they have a decent amount of defense in their system.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/transactions/_/start/2021-05-28/end/2024-06-11/position/g/type/traded

Darcy Kuemper at the 2021 deadline got a 1st round pick + a former second round pick.  Probably the closest thing I saw at the above link.  If you go back to the Leafs acquiring Freddy Andersen a while back he fetched a first and second round pick.  Markstrom is probably the best goalie available but he has been pretty up and down and is already 32 years old (older than both Kuemper--though he was 31--and Andersen for those trades).  A bunch of other teams are rumored to be interested as well.  With Cossa having a very strong back half to last season and Augustine waiting in the wings, I would be shocked if the Wings ponied up for a goalie via trade especially in a bidding war. 

Brossoit could be a decent option on the free agent market.  I expect the wings to sign someone like Stolarz to pair with Lyon for a season then Cossa in the NHL the following year, something along those lines.

So someone once posted a graph that shows the results of NHL players being drafted by rounds that make it to the NHL. It was something rediculously stupid that like 90% of all players that make it to the NHL are 1st and 2nd rounders. Why wouldn't Steve just offer their 1st this year, 2nd next and Cossa for the best Goalie in the league? It'd be overpay but it'd serve the price and that goalie should last until Augustine is ready anyway right? Seems like draft picks are kind of useless if they aren't a 1st or 2nd rounder for the most part..........

1 minute ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Isn't Cossa 2-3 years away realistically?

???

2-3 years away?

He was the starter in Grand Rapids this year, with a .913 save percentage that was better in the 2nd half than in the 1st half.

No.

Trade Husso (which would actually COST us so I don't see that realistically happening) and give the backup job to Cossa who can, if he plays as well in Detroit, take over the starting job from Lyon. And even if we don't trade Husso in the offseason, they can bring up Cossa more slowly, for games here and there (as Husso or Lyon get nicked up for a few games (which happens often, with Husso at least) or just to slowly beak him into the NHL...).

Also, and this is a key point: The goaltending can get better if the defense gets better. And that means both forwards and defenseman. I would work on THIS first... which allows time for the team to bring up Cossa and see if he can cut it in the NHL and take over as a #1, and it also allows time to work Husso out of that contract. AFTER the defense improves (both forwards & defenseman)... THEN a better analysis of goalie needs can be determined. It's hard to see how good or bad our goalies are when we are playing too much subpar defense. So, IMO, defense first, and then goalie afterwards. Which might be Cossa. And if it isn't, THEN we look for a goalie upgrade. It MIGHT be possible that Cossa makes that... moot. So... we'll see. But again: defense first IMO, then goalie.

That's just my 2 cents.

18 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Isn't Cossa 2-3 years away realistically?

If Holland were still the GM I'd agree that he's probably 2-3 years away. Holland left Tomas Tatar in the pressbox until he was 23 and Gustav Nyquist in Grand Rapids until he was 24. But I don't think Yzerman is going to wait until Cossa is 23-24 to promote him like Holland did with Nyquist and Tatar. I think there is a chance we see Cossa up next season actually.

Vasilevskiy is not available but the emergence of Jeremy Swayman has made put the 2023 Vezina winner, Linus Ulmark on the market. The Wings won’t and shouldn’t pony up the cost but he will get moved this summer.  

32 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Vasilevskiy is not available but the emergence of Jeremy Swayman has made put the 2023 Vezina winner, Linus Ulmark on the market. The Wings won’t and shouldn’t pony up the cost but he will get moved this summer.  

markstrom likely to get moved too.  but i dont want the wings to pay for it.

They have 2 very promising young goalie prospects.  Cossa is 2 and maybe even 3 years ahead of Augustine and will get the first shot.  I think he’ll be given the chance to play some this year and maybe even take the reins as the top guy if he’s able to take advantage.   If not then it’ll be next year for sure.

Either way, it’s important to give Cossa a really good look over the next two seasons.  If he steps up a becomes the guy for the future, they can figure out what do with a super talented young Augustine.  If not, they can repeat all over again with Trey and hope for a better result . It’s definitely a good problem to have.  

Edited by Hongbit

• 2 weeks later...