3/10 Red Wings vs Wild 7:00 pm et (ESPN+, HULU)

I was actually interested in seeing a Vrana-Veleno-Zadina line... I think I called for that quite a while ago... Just want to see if they gel together or can be productive at all. And that's with two minimally productive (Veleno-Zadina) guys there... If they actually do something: Vrana is a superhero.

I'm assuming Namest is on the top line only due to Bert being out... well, I mean, obviously...

Wanna bring up a point: My interest in trading for Chycrun (not going to happen, at least 99.9%, except ya never know what Stevie Y has up his sleeve...):

But... I have a certain logic to wanting him. Which is: the desire for having two effective blueliner tandems. If you like someone a whole lot more than Chycrun, just replace him with Insert Name Here: ____________.  

Now, I'm excited for Edvinsson to make the Red Wings in 2022-23 as much as anyone (hopefully he breaks camp with the Wings with minimal to zero time spent on the Griffins). In making up defensive pairings (I think buddha opined that he wants our best two as a pairing in order to have a dominating pair. I don't mind that idea, it sounds awesome. Except I think I prefer...) to maximize the time that EITHER Seider or Edvinsson are on the ice at any point in time, or both. So let's say they both are on the ice for 22 min's/ game, and Hronek & Chycrun (humor me for now...) are on the ice 16 min's/ game... on average. I want Chycrun paired with Seider and Edvinsson paired with Hronek for 16 minutes per game. Seider and Edvinsson get 6 minutes per game exclusively with each other (power plays, penalty kills, or just 5-on-5's...), so there is time for domination. BTW: Chycrun & Hronek probably make for a pretty nice 2nd power play pairing... but I wouldn't let them near any penalty kills...

But anyways... that's my reasoning. I want two effective pairings, and time managed/ or protections for the weaker links (Chycrun & Hronek) in those pairings whilst the dominant D'men (Seider & Edvinsson) play in all situations, get the extra time together, etc. In this type of plan, Seider and/ or Edvinsson are on the ice 38 minutes per game, as opposed to 22 minutes with a much weaker 2nd & 3rd pairing soaking up all other D minutes. I prefer the 38 mixed minutes.

Now... I drew it up on the board... anyone else agree? Disagree? Why?

I don't know if I have a 1 for 1 option besides Chychrun but I also don't want him because I think he'll cost more than he's worth.  I see your reasoning for sure, it wouldn't be a bad thing to add him to the team.  But I think that they'd need to give up a lot to acquire him, more so than the value he would bring to the Wings.  If he were more stout in the defensive zone and had a more consistent offensive output across his career I would be more excited to give up the assets to get him.  Just looking over potential free agents I don't see anyone realistic to get excited about (but I also looked really quickly).  I guess Klingberg is the alternative on the trade market as far as who seems available?  Unless Chychrun is cheap for some reason I think I would just wait and see what emerges from Edvinsson, Sebrango, and McIssac.  Grab some depth in free agency if you can for a year or two.  Also I would imagine more trade options would open up in the offseason so who knows what you can do there.

Wallinder and Johannson are probably a few seasons away.  You hope that one of those two and like Viro turn into something nice from their farm system.  Buium and Wallinder are the wildcards on defense, if they hit it would be huge for the team. 

Who is actually a viable internal option on the future team outside of Edvinsson?

How would you rank, and what % chances given to make the NHL, and which line projection (1st-2nd-3rd pairing potential) upside (none of us might have (I certainly don't) any "scouting" level ability to actually make those projections... just asking for anyone's thoughts):

Sebrango, McIsaac, Buium, Tuomisto, Wallinder, Viro, Johannson, (anyone else?) Maybe even include Lindstrom...

IE:

1. Lindstrom, 100%, 2nd pairing upside

2. Sebrango, 80%, 3rd pairing upside

3. Johannson, 75%, 2nd pairing upside

Anyone wanna take a stab?

2 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

I don't know if I have a 1 for 1 option besides Chychrun but I also don't want him because I think he'll cost more than he's worth....

This part I get. That's why I put 99.9% unlikelihood.

But then again...

Never know what Stevie Y is going to pull out of his...

Hat.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Who is actually a viable internal option on the future team outside of Edvinsson?

How would you rank, and what % chances given to make the NHL, and which line projection (1st-2nd-3rd pairing potential) upside (none of us might have (I certainly don't) any "scouting" level ability to actually make those projections... just asking for anyone's thoughts):

Sebrango, McIsaac, Buium, Tuomisto, Wallinder, Viro, Johannson, (anyone else?) Maybe even include Lindstrom...

IE:

1. Lindstrom, 100%, 2nd pairing upside

2. Sebrango, 80%, 3rd pairing upside

3. Johannson, 75%, 2nd pairing upside

Anyone wanna take a stab?

I feel like every one of these predictions will probably be wrong but:

Lindstrom 100%, 3rd pairing upside - think he's about there now, won't wow you but has a decent first pass out of the zone and can get shots on net from the point

Sebrango 40%, 3rd pairing upside - has turned some heads playing in the AHL earlier than anticipated and looked good at the WJC where he didn't seem out of place on either end of the ice.  His pedigree before this and his lack of offensive upside is why I land here.  If he keeps making steps at the same speed he has his percentage to make the NHL will shoot way up of course.  I just have no idea what his ceiling is

Johannson 55%, 2nd pairing upside - I think he has all the physical tools to be a solid second pairing guy and he can really pop on tape.  It seems like his IQ maybe wasn't up to speed against men yet and is having a good season.  It is still tough to jump to the NHL even after having solid SHL seasons.

McIssac 50%, 3rd pairing upside - I could see McIssac not doing much more than a coffee cup in nhl guy because of his injuries/development.  I hear he has really strong stretches in the AHL so I would say it is a coin flip if he puts it all together to be a NHL regular

Buium 40%, 1st pairing upside - started playing defense late, seems like a plus plus athlete with all the tools.  Just made the All Rookie team on a stacked Denver team (along with Mazur).  Does he keep going in his progression or does he hit a wall?  I think he could land almost anywhere in the end

Tuomisto 10%, 3rd pairing upside - You never hear anything about him anymore, it sounds like his skating still is rough.  He's apparently solid in college in his own end but that's likely size against lesser skilled players.  Was a bit of a reach at the time based around projection and I don't think he's progressed a ton

Wallinder 50%, 2nd pairing upside - He's a lot like Johannson to me but with probably better skills but bigger question marks.  Supposed to be a big project but he's really had a good season this year from what I've read.  He's taller than Johannson as well i believe, but I don't think he is a bruiser at all

Viro 30%, 3rd pairing upside - Haven't seen him play a lot but he was the captain at WJC and supposedly is solid in all zones.  Doesn't sound like he's going to turn into a super star but he could be smart enough to play a low event role in the NHL if all things go right

Alex Cotton I think was an overager pick.  He didn't pop when I saw him in Traverse but I don't think he had played in a while.  Supposed to be an adventure in his own zone.  Ceiling is probably AHL.

I honestly feel like I might be too optimistic with the above because it is tough to be a NHL player but who knows.

I think Leah Hextall is bad luck, in addition to just being bad. It's a toss up between her and Buccigross.  ESPN finally gets hockey back and this is what we get?  Longing for the days of Tom Mees, Gary Thorne and Dave Strader.