Stop Playing Guys Out-of-Position

bobrob2004

40 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I didn't want to come back with an overly negative post last year about how their were probably a lot of fluke performances.

That's OK.  Buddha took care of that for you.

You are negative, but you are also usually accurate.  So, that's good.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdog said:

The Willi Castro thing is a micro issue that stems from gigantic macro problems within the organization. Trust me, they wouldn't play him this much or out of position if they didn't have to.

All the single-minded kvetching about playing one guy in one position, when the solution is to platoon him out there anyway with a kid who's 0-for-12 lifetime so far, just because the kid can take a slightly better route to the ball, just make me giggle.

But man, you just nailed the issue with a single eloquent paragraph. Kudos.

After watching this year's parade of sub-mediocrity, injury-induced or not, I have come to the conclusion that a good part of the problem has been the philosophy  of drafting pitchers that "can't miss" and "just a guy" position players. Drafting pitchers might be the biggest crap shoot in baseball. Maybe the long term answer is to concentrate on drafting premier position players and concentrate on obtaining pitching through free agency, thereby handing the rehab efforts for the first TJ surgery a pitcher is bound to have.

In the short term, by July 4, this will be a much better team with the return of the walking dead on the IL.

In the long term, I'd be far more concerned about, Funkhauser, Mize, and Manning though. My guess is that we are looking at 3 TJ's right around August 20.

1 hour ago, HeyAbbott said:

After watching this year's parade of sub-mediocrity, injury-induced or not, I have come to the conclusion that a good part of the problem has been the philosophy  of drafting pitchers that "can't miss" and "just a guy" position players. Drafting pitchers might be the biggest crap shoot in baseball. Maybe the long term answer is to concentrate on drafting premier position players and concentrate on obtaining pitching through free agency, thereby handing the rehab efforts for the first TJ surgery a pitcher is bound to have.

In the short term, by July 4, this will be a much better team with the return of the walking dead on the IL.

In the long term, I'd be far more concerned about, Funkhauser, Mize, and Manning though. My guess is that we are looking at 3 TJ's right around August 20.

I've been singing this song since the Cubs broke through with this strategy in 2015.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 12:43 PM, Tiger337 said:

That's OK.  Buddha took care of that for you.

You are negative, but you are also usually accurate.  So, that's good.  

In the interest of less negativity, I think the Tigers got deeply unlucky with the ball changes that killed opposite field power, when almost all of our usable hitters have such power 

That said, a smarter organization probably wouldn't have invested so many resources over a twenty year period on an endless parade of high strikeout low obp guys who would be ruined by any changes to the home run happy era of baseball