The most unfairly penalized team ever: Detroit Lions

RedRamage

Not mentioned in this video is the 2014 week 17 game at Lambeau for the division. While there may not be the 1 obvious blunder it is still to this day the most lobsided officiating game I have ever seen. If you look at the box score you'll see 10-53yds for the Lions and 4-40 on the Packers and not think much of it but every single Packers penalty was a pre snap penalty that was so obvious it had to be called, they didn't call a single in play penalty against them despite the mangling of Suh and Fairley on virtually every play or the obvious interference calls against Calvin. It was so ridiculous!

The thing that made the Rodgers thing so bad is that they never call flags on hail mary plays like that, so not only was it a phantom call they called it at a time where they almost always "let them play", of course in Lions fashion they had to have a lapse the next play, if that didn't happen we wouldve forgot about the penalty the next day. 

On a similar note the face mask penalty is one of my least favorites in football, atleast when it's called the way it was on Rodgers.(for argument sake let's pretend he did touch the mask) I understand calling it if a guy grabs the mask and jerks him down with it, essentially using it to make the tackle but if you already have a guy wrapped up and on the way to the ground you accidentally touch or even grab the mask for a second it shouldn't be called. It had no effect on the play and you weren't trying to induce harm on anybody so just let the play go. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The thing that made the Rodgers thing so bad is that they never call flags on hail mary plays like that, so not only was it a phantom call they called it at a time where they almost always "let them play", of course in Lions fashion they had to have a lapse the next play, if that didn't happen we wouldve forgot about the penalty the next day. 

On a similar note the face mask penalty is one of my least favorites in football, atleast when it's called the way it was on Rodgers.(for argument sake let's pretend he did touch the mask) I understand calling it if a guy grabs the mask and jerks him down with it, essentially using it to make the tackle but if you already have a guy wrapped up and on the way to the ground you accidentally touch or even grab the mask for a second it shouldn't be called. It had no effect on the play and you weren't trying to induce harm on anybody so just let the play go. 

NFHS (high school) football still has the 5-yard face mask penalty for inadvertent grasping of the face mask, in addition to the 15-yard penalty for grasping and twisting or grasping and tackling. Allows the official to have more latitude in that penalty for this exact reason.

NFL did away with the 5-yard variety a number of years ago. Beats me why.