12/23/2022 7:30 EST Detroit Pistons vs Atlanta Hawks

casimir

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i hated the hawks when i was young.  seemed like they were the first team the pistons had to beat before they slew the celtics beast.

The Hawks have had some good seasons, but just never quite good enough.  Or their record was a mirage and the house of cards eventually fall apart in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

i hated the hawks when i was young.  seemed like they were the first team the pistons had to beat before they slew the celtics beast.

Wow... The Hawks were so unmemorable to me that I totally forgot them. You are 100% absolutely correct.

I don't think I hated them... but they were the first hurdle to get over. And it took you mentioning them just now to jog my memory...

8 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

We traded for Noel.

The Knicks wanted/needed to clear cap space to sign Brunson.  We used our cap space to take on Burks and Noel so NY could create that space for Brunson.  They also sent us two second round picks and we sent them four second round picks.

that doesnt sound like a net positive...

2 hours ago, buddha said:

that doesnt sound like a net positive...

I guess that would depend on your opinion of Burks. I think getting a 40% three-point shooter for two second round picks + paying Noel for a year is pretty good value. 

Noel also has a little trade value at the deadline and/or end of the season.  The Pistons have a team option on Noel for next year so they can cut him this summer for nothing.  A team looking to dump salary could be interested in trading for him to do so.  Assuming they have something Detroit wants or will take on for picks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I guess that would depend on your opinion of Burks. I think getting a 40% three-point shooter for two second round picks + paying Noel for a year is pretty good value. 

Noel also has a little trade value at the deadline and/or end of the season.  The Pistons have a team option on Noel for next year so they can cut him this summer for nothing.  A team looking to dump salary could be interested in trading for him to do so.  Assuming they have something Detroit wants or will take on for picks.

if the goal is to lose as many games as possible, then whatever they've done has been a great success.

after this season is over, do the pistons buy a free agent?  is there anyone left to buy after this season?

or do they run it back and continue to draft high forever?

1 hour ago, buddha said:

if the goal is to lose as many games as possible, then whatever they've done has been a great success.

after this season is over, do the pistons buy a free agent?  is there anyone left to buy after this season?

or do they run it back and continue to draft high forever?

Eh, free agents are tough for a bad team.  No max player is coming here.  Anyone else will need to be overpaid so you have to be careful you don't end up with a Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva situation.

They might be better off continuing to take on contracts for assets like they did with Burks.