03/14/2023 1:05 pm EDT Boston Red Sox vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

46 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Hard to overreact to much of anything in Spring Training, but not loving all the walks the past couple of games

I think that K and BB rates do have some relevance in Spring training.  First, K rate and BB rate normalize pretty quickly.  Also, BB rate can be about approach rather than ability.  It seems like something that players can work on without a change in physical ability. I don't think one player can dramatically change his BB rate, but a bunch of players can combine to achieve a team level increase.         

Just now, Tiger337 said:

I think that K and BB rates do have some relevance in Spring training.  First, K rate and BB rate normalize pretty quickly.  Also, BB rate can be about approach rather than ability.  It seems like something that players can work on without a change in physical ability. I don't think one player can dramatically change his BB rate, but a bunch of players can combine to achieve a team level increase.         

Oh, I didn't see the "not" in your post.  LOL  I thught you were talking about hitters.  I guess a similar thing can be said abut pitcher BB/K rates except it would be a negative rather than a positive.