Wings @ Blackhawks

Stan Bowman out!

https://chicago.suntimes.com/blackhawks/2021/10/26/22746928/blackhawks-fire-stan-bowman-al-macisaac-bradley-aldrich-sexual-assault-investigation-results

Stan Bowman’s 12-year reign as the Blackhawks’ general manager and hockey operations president is over.

Bowman and right-hand man Al MacIsaac, formerly the two most powerful people in the Hawks’ hockey operations, were forced out Tuesday.

Their departures headline an organizational overhaul enacted after releasing the results of an investigation into the handling of allegations that former video coach Bradley Aldrich sexually assaulted two players shortly before the 2010 Stanley Cup championship.

convenient for the hawks as an excuse to get rid of bowman.

i'm not saying he shouldnt have been forced out, i'm saying he was doing a bad job and this provides a different reason to let him go other than their poor start, hellish cap situation, and dim future.

kinda hurts their stance in the lawsuit.  but i guess that's why he "resigned" rather than being let go.  

This guy kept going down the ladder.  Between 2010 to 2014 NHL to USA team to Notre Dame, to Miami (Ohio) to high school in Houghton where he committed 4th degree sexual assault and was sentenced to 9 months in jail and a 5 year probation.    That is a very fast fall there.  If the Blackhawks hadn't covered it up, that high school kid probably has a better life right now.  

How many of these sick fucks are out there and why do these powerful organizations keep protecting and enabling them.  

Why is the Bo statue still standing?   

Do you ever feel lucky that this thing never happened to you as a kid (or at least I hope it didn't)?     

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Just had to comment on what a colossal piece of shit Jonathan Towes is.  He couldn't have made himself look any worse and was so obviously lying.

Jackie Redmond of the NHL Network ripped him a new one in an epic takedown.  If I was more tech savvy, I'd post the video.  It's worth the watch.

7 hours ago, buddha said:

what was toews supposed to do?  i dont understand?

I think if you watched the entire interview with Kyle Beach (Rick Westhead deserves some kind of journalism award for exposing this, btw) and then watch the entire Toews press conference, the contrast is just so striking.

As LS referenced, he spent most of his time pitying Bowman and Mac Isaac, how they will lose their livelihoods, how great they were to him and for the team.  They were just focused on hockey.  He had no idea who the player was.  I was just waiting for his nose to start growing.  When you look back and see all that the organization to did to protect Patrick Kane during that time from all his shenanigans, and the see how their inaction lead to others being abused.  Hard not to be infuriated by it.

i dont have a real issue with what kane or toews said.  i am interested in how their agents allowed them to talk without vetting what they would say, especially in the social media environment.  regardless of how they feel personally for stan bowman, you issue a generic statement condemning what happened and saying how you feel bad for beach.  you dont open them up to questions from "journalists" who are looking for click baity headlines to stoke the moral outrage machine.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i dont have a real issue with what kane or toews said.  i am interested in how their agents allowed them to talk without vetting what they would say, especially in the social media environment.  regardless of how they feel personally for stan bowman, you issue a generic statement condemning what happened and saying how you feel bad for beach.  you dont open them up to questions from "journalists" who are looking for click baity headlines to stoke the moral outrage machine.

Yeah - it's a beyond unfair that we expect everyone to have professional media relations skills. Toews is a hockey player, it's dumb to expect him to be a font of finely tuned current cultural wisdom. But you hit the nail on the head - you have to know when to just make a perfunctory statement without saying anything.

I disagree with the notion that you have to be some East Cost intellectual communication savvy expert to simply act like a professional and a decent human being.  

I thought this article dissected the situation well.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/blackhawks/2021/10/28/22751091/jonathan-toews-stan-bowman-kyle-beach-blackhawks-sexual-assault-patrick-kane-jeremy-colliton

13 hours ago, buddha said:

what was toews supposed to do?  i dont understand?

Maybe tell his teammates not to chase Beech around saying homophobic slurs?  Maybe stepping up and saying wait one of our players got sexually assaulted and nothing is being done this isn't right?  Maybe not focus on himself and his experience with the executives, praising them for being good people when they covered up sexual assault so they could win a Cup?  Maybe not give quotes acting annoyed that players are speaking about the abuse now?  If you have to be media savvy to be a decent human being then that is fucking sad.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kacie said:

I disagree with the notion that you have to be some East Cost intellectual communication savvy expert to simply act like a professional and a decent human being.  

I thought this article dissected the situation well.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/blackhawks/2021/10/28/22751091/jonathan-toews-stan-bowman-kyle-beach-blackhawks-sexual-assault-patrick-kane-jeremy-colliton

but there is still an even more general point. We don't pay our pro-athletes to be great people, we pay them to be great athletes. You could pick any day of the weak and find reasons to pick out athletes and dump on them for not being saints.  That's just the way it is. We seem to have enough trouble holding those accountable who actually do the bad stuff. Spending a lot of energy on judging other peoples reactions about it seems unproductive.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

but there is still an even more general point. We don't pay our pro-athletes to be great people, we pay them to be great athletes. You could pick any day of the weak and find reasons to pick out athletes and dump on them for not being saints.

he didnt say enough politically correct tag lines of sorrow and remorse, so he gets dragged.  again, he should have done what debrincat did and basically throw bowman and everyone else under the bus to save himself.  that's what you do.  and he should have had someone there to tell him to do it.  that was my point.

toews is a public figure, and to keep his reputation in tact, he needs to keep his public image.  and that means throwing all the blame on bowman et al even if bowman is his friend.  bowman would probably understand.

that's how the game is played.

If I find out my friend covered up a sexual assault we won’t be friends anymore.  There really isn’t any wiggle room here.  To me it’s like saying, “what about all the good things Hitler did?”  Doesn’t matter.  Of course Toews didn’t just find out.  He knew about it while it was happening.  He’s a piece of shit.  We need hold people accountable for their actions, or inaction in this case.  If he’d learned from his mistake and grown then there is some leeway.  He clearly hasn’t as he’s mourning what the perpetrators have lost.

• Thanks 1