Michigan Panthers 2024 season thread

RedRamage

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I was sent an email from the official Panthers email account server.

Officially speaking, I'm a season ticket holder, so that could be why I got the email. I've not attended a game in my season tickets (have sold each game for profit to help pay for Lions season tickets lol), but they probably don't care about that so long as the seats are being used and the people in them are buying beer and food.

Okay, well then yeah... that's an official partnership and yeah that's not a great sign if they're desperate enough for money that they'll partner with a timeshare.

On a completely side note: has anyone ever gone to one of these timeshare sales pitch thingies? I sometimes thought about taking one of these vacation deals, then just trying to find someone local and paying them to sit through the presentation so I didn't have too. 

12 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

On a completely side note: has anyone ever gone to one of these timeshare sales pitch thingies? I sometimes thought about taking one of these vacation deals, then just trying to find someone local and paying them to sit through the presentation so I didn't have too. 

We have a Marriott Vacation Club membership. The sales meetings are a pain, but we've learned how to endure them over the years. Just stick to your budget. They'll keep bring other offers, one time weekend deals and such, it's just a matter of saying no unless you find something you really enjoy.

I'm not sure it's much cheaper than a motel for vacation but a one or two bedroom apt for several days is a significant upgrade especially if you use it off season. Hilton Head Nov-February is a great getaway. We've also done Spring Training in AZ that way as well as Park City, Ledson, UK (Hadrian's Wall), Paris and next week Vegas with a helicopter trip to the Grand Canyon.

I haven't done the math, but I figure it's about the cost of buying an RV, without the upkeep and noisy neighbors right next to you

They also check for ID 

55 yard successful kick from Bates. It doesn't count because defense jumped offsides and that gave the Panthers first down.

Panthers gain 12 yards and stall our again, just Bates kicks it from 43 and this one will count.

53 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

55 yard successful kick from Bates. It doesn't count because defense jumped offsides and that gave the Panthers first down.

Panthers gain 12 yards and stall our again, just Bates kicks it from 43 and this one will count.

have the Lions signed Bates yet?

2 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

have the Lions signed Bates yet?

No... there's a rule in the UFL that NFL teams can not talk to the players or the players' agents in season. So, no NFL team can sign him right now.

32 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

No... there's a rule in the UFL that NFL teams can not talk to the players or the players' agents in season. So, no NFL team can sign him right now.

you'd think he would be on the short list atleast

He better be!

I don't know that there's any connection with the Lions beyond that he's playing Detroit and I'm sure many (if not all) of the other NFL teams will at least have some level of interest in him. So I don't think it's automatic that he comes to the Lions but I certainly hope that he enjoys playing in Ford Field a lot.

Bates today:

50 yarder: Good, but a penalty gave the Panthers a first down so didn't count.
43 yarder: Good
60 yarder: Good
39 yarder: Good
49 yarder: Good

47 yarder: No Good, but a penalty nullified the play
42 yarder: Good

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

How do UFL playoffs work? Do we play the undefeated Stallions? Or any chance of hosting a playoff game?

Top 2 teams from each division play each other, so we know we will be playing the Stallions. There is an outside chance we could host the game, but exceedingly unlikely.

The UFL Championship, like the Super Bowl will be played at various member teams home stadiums. This years Championship will be at "The Dome at America's Center" home of the Battlehawks.

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Not a great look. I’m not sure what the conflict is at Ford Field on 6/8. Nothing is on their public calendar until a Zach Bryan concert on June 20th.

I agree it's not a great look, but probably won't matter. Birmingham is 7-0 with 3 games left. This week they face a very weak team in the Roughnecks. If they win that they can't finish worse than tied for the USFL conf. lead. I don't know that there's been an official release of the tie-breaker rules for the UFL, but the speculation is that they'll follow the the USFL rules:

1. Overall Record
2. Head to Head Record
3. Conference Record
4. Strength of Victory

1. Again, assuming the Stallions win tomorrow, then we'd need them to lose their next game (at Brahms, currently 5-2) and then lose their final game again the Panthers. The Panthers would need to win all of their remain 3 games, and that just gets us both tied 8-2, so over all record is the same.

2. Head to Head would be an even split. They beat us earlier, we would beat them in the last game in this senario.

3. Conference Record: Assuming Stallions win tomorrow and lose to us in the final game, their conference record would be 5-1. Assuming we win out our conference record would be 5-1. Another tie.

4. Strength of Victory: The Stallions current .347 SoV is much higher than the Panthers .314. It's possible that winning out could boost us, but I don't know if it would boost us enough.