Michigan Panthers 2024 season thread

RedRamage

Panthers looked really poor in yesterday's game. 

Kudos to the defense for not breaking... forcing 4 FGs when the Stallions were in or near the Red Zone. But the offense just couldn't get going at all. The OL was so bad that the a Sorsdal with a broken leg would have still been the best player on on that line. Passes were not crisp at all... mostly floater that had as much chance of ending up in the defense's hands as they did in the offense's. The offense has two key turn overs in the game too which killed momentum.

Panthers have never had much of an OL. I strongly suspect that Holmes is casting some sort of Voodoo magic that is draining away OL talent from the locker room during the USFL/UFL seasons and then transferring it to OL players during the NFL season. The Panthers have never had a great QB either... but it's sorta hard to judge how much of that is the QBs and how much of that is the wet paper bags that they are using for OL players right now. I mean serious the Stallions had 7(!!) sacks in the game, and 8 tackles for a loss. The Panther's lost 91 yards via sack or TFL!

The one really star for the Panthers though was of course Bates who had a 62 yard FG to end the first half that went through easily. Late in the 3rd Qtr he was called on again, but this from the chip-shot distance of only 52 yards... which he of course made as well. (Imagine kicking a 52 yard FG and it brings down the average yards per kick of your pro career.)

On 4/7/2024 at 1:30 PM, RedRamage said:

And Bates does it again! 62 yards.

An article in today's Free Press says it's illegal for teams to contact UFL players. Teams are allowed to contact teams about their players but aren't supposed to directly contact any player. 

21 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

An article in today's Free Press says it's illegal for teams to contact UFL players. Teams are allowed to contact teams about their players but aren't supposed to directly contact any player. 

A little more detail would have been helpful. Why would the NFL want to contact the USFL team? Would they sell a player to the NFL?

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

IDK all the reasons. Maybe it's in the players contracts?

Screenshot_20240410_102715_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.6b07d8679726173615bb500d195eadb1.jpg

This makes sense from a UFL stand point. As I've said earlier, Bates is an unusual case because the risk of injury to a kicker isn't super duper high. Obviously it can happen, but it's less likely.

However, a RB, for instance, is a different story. A RB had a few break-out games and an NFL team wants to give him a shot. They're gonna want him to quit the UFL right away, and the player will want that too. Both the NFL and the player would want to remove the chance of injury and a player will immediately jump for the league minimum NFL salary vs. UFL salary.

So I'm sure this is a UFL contract thing that they put in to protect the league. They don't want to see their star players getting poached mid-season.

Edit to add: I'm gonna guess the reason that NFL teams are allowed to talk to UFL teams is two fold:

1. It's a 'neutral' way for the NFL to get more info on a player without the NFL being able to influence the player directly. This helps the perception that the UFL is a way for players to showcase themselves for the NFL and makes players more willing to sign with the UFL.

2. It helps with the perception that the UFL is a minor league for the NFL... assuming they want that perception. If the Lions, for example, are in regular communication with the Panthers about various players they'll start to build a relationship.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

This makes sense from a UFL stand point. As I've said earlier, Bates is an unusual case because the risk of injury to a kicker isn't super duper high. Obviously it can happen, but it's less likely.

However, a RB, for instance, is a different story. A RB had a few break-out games and an NFL team wants to give him a shot. They're gonna want him to quit the UFL right away, and the player will want that too. Both the NFL and the player would want to remove the chance of injury and a player will immediately jump for the league minimum NFL salary vs. UFL salary.

So I'm sure this is a UFL contract thing that they put in to protect the league. They don't want to see their star players getting poached mid-season.

Edit to add: I'm gonna guess the reason that NFL teams are allowed to talk to UFL teams is two fold:

1. It's a 'neutral' way for the NFL to get more info on a player without the NFL being able to influence the player directly. This helps the perception that the UFL is a way for players to showcase themselves for the NFL and makes players more willing to sign with the UFL.

2. It helps with the perception that the UFL is a minor league for the NFL... assuming they want that perception. If the Lions, for example, are in regular communication with the Panthers about various players they'll start to build a relationship.

But it seems like they should be able to purchase a players contract. This guy made 2 more long field goals in his 2nd game. He's going to be kicking for somebody this fall...

Bates was in the Houston Texans training camp this past season and was cut after one game when he missed an extra point. He's also hasn't kicked outside yet this season or anywhere but Ford Field.

I assume once the season is over NFL teams will be allowed to contact him (or his agent) directly. They just can't do it during the season.

Also looking at his college stats at Texas Tech and Arkansas all he did was kick off. There are no FG attempts in his stats. 
But who knows, he could become the next Garo Yepremian

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ufl-coach-accuses-nfl-teams-of-breaking-this-rule-with-standout-ufl-player-theyre-not-supposed-to-do-that/

Edited by CMRivdogs

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Do we know that Bates is a culture fit though? Think of someone like Evan McPherson when he sat on the sidelines to watch the Super Bowl halftime show instead of being in the locker room with his teammates. That would NEVER fly here.

Kickers are always in their own world and McPherson was just young and immature. I don’t think it “flew” in Cincy either but it’s probably something that was hard to believe predict.

21 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

But it seems like they should be able to purchase a players contract. This guy made 2 more long field goals in his 2nd game. He's going to be kicking for somebody this fall...

But it's not in the best interest of the UFL to allow that. This isn't like the Major League/Minor League situation for a number of reasons:

1. The minor leagues aren't relying solely on themselves to be profitable. They are subsidized by MLB to a large degree. They can lose star players without having to worry that the league could fold because not enough people are watching it.
  2. The UFL/NFL seasons don't line up. You can't have a player get his experience playing in the minor leagues and then call him up to the Majors if he's needed.
  3. Football is a much more violent sport and injuries are far more likely. An NFL team isn't going to want to "season" a player in the "minors" in football when there's a relatively high risk of that player's career ending on any given play.

For these reasons the UFL doesn't want players getting poached mid-season and the NFL isn't going to want to sign a guy, but let him still playout the rest of the season in the UFL.

• Like 1

Wasn't able to pay too much attention to the game this week, but here's my summary from what I did see and looking at stats after the game:

Offensively the Panthers finally figured out that you're allowed to score in the first quarter... granted they only got 3 points, but still that's 3 points more than they got in the first quarter in their previous two games. Slow starts for the offense have be a problem with the Panthers, so it's nice to see any points at the start of a game. The 3 point of course came off Jake Bates foot, but it was a paltry 46 yard FG, so nothing special at all. The Panthers got a TD later in the 2nd qtr and finished the half with a 55 yard Bates FG. In the 3rd qtr the Panthers exploded, scoring their 1st of 3 TDs this quarter in the first 23 seconds of the second half. They didn't do much in the 4th qtr but entering that spot they were leading 34 to 14, so it's pretty clear they were trying to milk the clock more than trying to score.

Defensively after a lackluster game last week, they pick thing up quite a bit this week. They did another very good job of stopping the run, allowing just 63 yards on the ground. Only 2 sacks, but 7 tackles for a loss, so that was nice to see. Just like the offense the Panthers were hot in the 3rd qtr defensively. (Maybe Campbell should check in with them... maybe get some tips on 3rd qtr play?) After the Roughnecks got into the RedZone on a great return by the Roughnecks, the defense held them to a FG. On the next drive the defense forced a 3 and out.

The Roughnecks are now 0-3, so the Panther should have beat them, so maybe it shouldn't be considered any great accomplishment. But they handled the opposition well and had a nice solid win. This was a good bounce back game after the shellacking they took last week against the Stallions (3-0). Next week is the first road game of the season for the Panthers. It will still be indoors but we'll see if Bates can keep his kicking game strong when on the road. It's a Saturday Game at 7pm. The following week with be Bates first time kicking outdoors in Memphis.

• 2 weeks later...

Between the draft and just life being busy this weekend, I completely forgot to tune into the Panthers... and it seems that my lack of watching them proved to be bad luck for Bates. 2 of 3 FG attempts were missed. A 58 yarder and 62 yarder were both missed, though he did make a Badgley-range 30 yarder. This was his first time kicking outside in the UFL, and there was a 13 mph wind, so that may have played a part. Next week is back inside at Ford Field.

14 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Probably not great that they're resorting to partnering with timeshares.

Screenshot2024-05-02at1_05_25PM.thumb.png.9c5433cf1c667edc478b27e1bf7f59e2.png

Only 500 club points for the weekend, including a welcome dinner and of course the three hours they hold you hostage for the"presentation".

33 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Only 500 club points for the weekend, including a welcome dinner and of course the three hours they hold you hostage for the"presentation".

It's not a hostage situation...... you just have to say yes..... don't you want to say yes??

4 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It's not a hostage situation...... you just have to say yes..... don't you want to say yes??

It feels like it sometimes when they bring in the third or fourth sales person with a new offer. That said we sign up for it willingly.

Like the helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon and the Skybridge.

Minor downside, I was checking the timeshare website today, three days in Boston with a suite ticket to a Yankee/Red Sox game or a ballpark tour and private box for a RSox/Astros game. Alas, we need to wait six months past the Vegas/Grand Canyon to take advantage.

35 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Where was this being offered? I'm wondering if it's an official UFL or did they just buy the tickets for the game themselves?

I was sent an email from the official Panthers email account server.

Officially speaking, I'm a season ticket holder, so that could be why I got the email. I've not attended a game in my season tickets (have sold each game for profit to help pay for Lions season tickets lol), but they probably don't care about that so long as the seats are being used and the people in them are buying beer and food.

50 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Where was this being offered? I'm wondering if it's an official UFL or did they just buy the tickets for the game themselves?

The resort companies probably team up with other companies all the time. Marriott offers all sorts of "experiences" from sporting events to concerts and even gourmet dinner events.

I know Marriott is offering a couple of game events at Fenway. There is also some golf related PGA events being offered. It's all part of their marketing plan.

I'm sure the UFL or some corporation would offer up a luxury box or suite in exchange for online promotion. Throw in a dinner and pre game sideline passes, not a big deal.