4/1/24 7:00PM EDT Grizzlies @ Pistons

Would love to get Claxton if the money is right.  Huge pass on PG13.

https://theathletic.com/5381228/2024/04/01/pistons-mailbag-paul-george-future-nba/

Another free agent I could see the Pistons going after, and this depends on how patient they want to be with Duren, is Brooklyn Nets center Nic Claxton. He’s a screen-setting, rim-running big on offense who is a plus defender on defense. To me, Detroit has to really prioritize shooting and defense this summer, above all. Ideally, the Pistons land players who can do both, but Claxton still provides what Duren does as a lob threat and is more advanced defensively.

Lastly, and this one is a long shot, can I interest you in Paul George? The 33-year-old, star wing has a player option for next season that myself, and many others, could see him opting out of. For starters, George and the LA Clippers have yet to agree to a contract extension. That’s an interesting sign. George, while he’s getting up there in age, is still a very, very good basketball player and would not only fill a massive void for the Pistons, but would be a tremendous mentor for both Cunningham and Thompson. I also would take 55 games of George, who doesn’t usually string together long seasons due to injuries.

Just to add fuel to the fire here, Detroit general manager Troy Weaver was pivotal in getting George to Oklahoma City back in 2017. So, there’s that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

https://theathletic.com/5381228/2024/04/01/pistons-mailbag-paul-george-future-nba/

you'll get tobias harris on a max deal and like it! 

and then a trade of jaden ivey for draymond green and some second round picks, re-signing james wiseman and quentin grimes, and then trading those second rounders to get back into the first round to nab zack edey, and bringing back rodney magruder.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

you'll get tobias harris on a max deal and like it! 

and then a trade of jaden ivey for draymond green and some second round picks, re-signing james wiseman and quentin grimes, and then trading those second rounders to get back into the first round to nab zack edey, and bringing back rodney magruder.

Not sure If I am depressed because of how bad that is or how probable it is.  

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Wonder what the record is for most players on a roster in a season.

It's 31. Grizzlies have it this season. Pistons are at 30. With this signing, I guess they're now tied.

• Like 1

Also, this game was a masterclass in bad coaching.

Watching JJJ look like Lebron against the Pistons in 07 with no strategy to get the ball out of his hands. Watching both Cade and Ivey sit on the bench at the same time when they were the only ones cooking. How about that play with 33 seconds to go that clearly went off the Memphis player after Jaden tapped it? Nope, no challenge. Pretty sure we could've used an extra possession right there in a 2 pt game. I guess Monty was saving his timeout? Of course, he didn't use that timeout after we secured the rebound with about 8 seconds to go in order to call a play for this young team either.

I keep hearing idiots say, "You gotta give Monty a year with a real team." No. No you don't. Any coach will do better with better players. They'll still play below their potential under Monty because he's a terrible coach. Even worse than Casey, and that's saying something.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2024 at 9:31 AM, Deleterious said:

I'd be happy with Claxton as well but Duren at the 4....is not ideal. I actually think Stewart if his 3 point shooting this season is for real is a better fit alongside Claxton. A Duren/Claxton frontcourt would be too clogged. I'd assume Duren is trade bait if they signed Claxton because it doesn't make much sense otherwise and I'd be fine with that, I bet some team would really pony up for him based on the raw production and athletic profile.

Hell will freeze over before PG13 plays in Detroit so it doesn't matter if the Pistons want him or not.

Edited by NYLion

Sort of a depressing read.  Some bullet points.

He said nobody's job is safe when you are this bad.

He said he feels the likeliest Weaver scenario is he gets a boss.  He thinks Gores might hire a president and take away some of weavers control.

He said it is not a given that Monty is fired.  But he feels his seat is warmer than Weavers.

23 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Sort of a depressing read.  Some bullet points.

He said nobody's job is safe when you are this bad.

He said he feels the likeliest Weaver scenario is he gets a boss.  He thinks Gores might hire a president and take away some of weavers control.

He said it is not a given that Monty is fired.  But he feels his seat is warmer than Weavers.

Hiring a President instead of firing Weaver is idiotic. We don't need more cooks in the kitchen. We've already got Weaver, Gores, and Tellem all pulling in different directions. Just clean house.

Silver lining is that Monty's seat is warm and firing him is a possibility. While it doesn't have as much impact on the long term outcome of the franchise (that's Weaver), it impacts the style of play I have to watch on court, so I'd welcome that change at least.

Of course, if you don't clean house in the front office, I don't know what kind of coach is going to come here. I doubt you're getting Atkinson or Quinn to leave their franchises. Maybe Ollie after the Nets hire their actual coach.

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I wonder who that will be.

Just one game but I wasn't overly impressed with Flagg. I was expecting more considering the massive hype but....just one game so it doesn't mean much. I was more impressed with Harper.

Edited by NYLion

8 hours ago, NYLion said:

Just one game but I wasn't overly impressed with Flagg. I was expecting more considering the massive hype but....just one game so it doesn't mean much. I was more impressed with Harper.

That is what Flagg gets for signing with Duke.

Bailey didn't look good either.  He is the other possible #1 right now.