"Most Affordable Premium Sports Experience"....?

Useful Idiot

9 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

spacer.png

How about that?  Over the past 5 years they sign one contract in excess of $20 million/year, and already they are calling themselves "premium".

How' s food work out on those suite leases? Is the grub included in the price of the room, or is that extra? (serious question)

Is this a problem for anyone?  Universal Studios charges extra for a "premium park experience" and yet movies tend to be repetitive CGI crapola.  

If you or your business has the money to spend and are going to get a half or full season anyway, I understand it. Games played before June have the potential to be 50* or below, games played during and after June have the potential to be rainy and miserable when the sun goes down. Games with either won't do well on the resale market (though any of the included concerts will). You might as well have an enjoyable indoor experience at the ready.

They used to have an All-You-Can-Eat Suite sold to the general public. I remember going with the family to Opening Day in 2010(?) in one of those. Probably closed it the next day after losing money to me and my dad.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I remember being knocked out by going to an Orioles game in a suite when I worked in Baltimore, picking up the food menu, and seeing a dozen crab cakes selling for $108.

Not so bad, you might say? Well ... that was a quarter of a century ago, in 1996.

Crab cake sandwiches in the lower level tunnel were running something like $15 last summer. They were ok but not that great

Just looked at a menu from Nicks, $17. So $8 in 1996 really isn’t bad

7 hours ago, romad1 said:

Is this a problem for anyone? 

Mostly, I was just musing over how quickly they changed their spiel once they spent a little money on payroll. Personally, I don't believe that adding one above average player  and one average player to last year's roster justifies the sobriquet "premium", so I was  just wondering if there were other perks "built in" that might validate their boast. (the food pictures appear enticing)

So, I was just curious.

Thanks to all who responded. 

Seems a  bit odd, I'll have to say, that some of the food cost is not built in to the suite.  

For instance, if the offerings are that overpriced, what happens when they set up a food service IN EACH SUITE, and hardly anybody buys anything?  Seems like an opportunity for a loss, unless they cover some base minimum through the suite rental.

I can't speak for Comerica but about 13 years or so ago we did a "wedding rehearsal" party at the Frisco Roughriders park in Texas. We were given a few food options for catering in the suite. It was extra of course. The food was included in the final bill.

I would assume it would be the same way in a suite at Comerica. The few times I had the opportunity to go to the game in a suite there was a small spread. Or maybe they had a menu that the hosts could order from. Food would be extra but it would be a poor host if a party, or business manager not to include food for the guests.

About 25 years ago I had a golf club membership for a couple of years.  You paid your annual membership dues and then, on top of that, they billed you $500 for restaurant food whether you ate there or not.  So you tried to make sure that you ate at least that amount each summer, but you paid for the beer and wine separately.  I always felt I was getting screwed on that.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2021 at 8:13 PM, CMRivdogs said:

I would assume it would be the same way in a suite at Comerica. The few times I had the opportunity to go to the game in a suite there was a small spread. Or maybe they had a menu that the hosts could order from. Food would be extra but it would be a poor host if a party, or business manager not to include food for the guests.

I guess you are right on about that.  Contemplating it from a "food value received, for the dollar spent" is likely the wrong way to look at it.  If you are running a business, and are renting the suite to entertain/bribe clients, it's more a matter of the influence you are buying for the dollar spent...and the food (from your perspective) is just schwag. 

The extortionate pricing may be in part why, during my days as a media client, many of the vendors who invited us to suite games laid out only boiled hot dogs, one-ounce bags of Lays, and Miller Lite. I remember Diamandis (Car and Driver, Road & Track) use to spring for really nice spreads with dogs, brats, sliders, chicken tenders, several brands of beer, even liquor.

But no matter what, every suite experience culminates in the dessert cart. Mmmmm …

• Like 2
  • Haha 1