2/9 7PM Red Wings at Flyers

1984Echoes

the wings beating the flyers was the happiest ive ever been as a sports fan.

i was too young for 1984 (only 12).  i remember 1984.  i remember being happy, but was too young to appreciate it because i hadnt lived with the pain of losing (although i do remember losing out in 83 to the orioles and 81 to the brewers).

the bad boys beating the celtics and michael jordan was probably more meaningful than actually winning the title.  the 2004 team was fun but not the same as isiah finally getting them over the hump.

the lions?  well....tbd.

michigan winning in 97 was right up there in great moments, but strangely enough, beating ohio state this year was just as satisfying.  after waiting so long and nobody giving them a shot, to finally do it was very satisfying.

but the wings finally winning it when i was in my mid 20s and had gone through the pain of being so terrible, then be so good and never winning, and then getting manhandled by the devils and upset by the avs and everyone thinking we'll never win and then no one giving them a chance against lindros and the legion of doom and then finally doing it.  that was the best.  the best ive ever felt as a sports fan.

• Like 1

wings carry the play for at least 5 straight minutes then let down and all but give up a goal  in the last minute of the period. There is something wrong with they way they approach period ends and it's been this way for a long time. Either Blash isn't getting the right rotations out there or the team has gotten in the bad habit of letting down or what ever, I'd be surprised if there was a team that gave up more goals in the last 90 sec of a period.

Things that are starting to work...?

Bertuzzi on the 2nd line seems to have perked that line up... Looks like Blash made the right call on that. Tuzz is so dynamic that now Suter and Fabbri with him are starting to gel real nicely together.

Is Lindstrom starting to grow a bit... getting better?

12 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Is Lindstrom starting to grow a bit... getting better?

I realize I'm in the minority here so I usually don't voice this opinion but I think he's generally been pretty solid for what he's asked to do.  He isn't very sheltered by Blashill (Lindstrom starts a larger percentage of his shifts in the defensive zone than Hronek, it's close but that gives you a reference point), and while he doesn't do anything insanely well he does a good amount of little things that often can lead to good results (at least in my opinion).  Things like quick passes in zone to start a transition or being the best defender on the team at getting his shot unblocked and on net from the point (at least from what the advanced stats look like).  I think he can be a solid bottom pairing guy for the team for a bit.

I may be biased because his hockey cards are cheap on the resale market so I have a nice collection going of him 😂

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

I realize I'm in the minority here so I usually don't voice this opinion but I think he's generally been pretty solid for what he's asked to do.  He isn't very sheltered by Blashill (Lindstrom starts a larger percentage of his shifts in the defensive zone than Hronek, it's close but that gives you a reference point), and while he doesn't do anything insanely well he does a good amount of little things that often can lead to good results (at least in my opinion).  Things like quick passes in zone to start a transition or being the best defender on the team at getting his shot unblocked and on net from the point (at least from what the advanced stats look like).  I think he can be a solid bottom pairing guy for the team for a bit.

I may be biased because his hockey cards are cheap on the resale market so I have a nice collection going of him 😂

I agree he looks like he is progressing some, but of course you have to keep the opposition in perspective. Philly made everyone look good last night.