Spring Training 2022

Jim Cowan

13 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Hinch says he isn't planning on carrying 5 "outfield only" guys.  So if Greene makes the team, there are only 2 jobs for Baddoo, Hill, Cameron, and Reyes.  Which means there is one job for Hill, Cameron and Reyes.  

don't see much of a chance for Cameron - I think he's going to have to put up some good numbers at Toledo for a while to prove his bat before he gets a call. Reyes and Hill will be good competition. Reyes had a good off season and you pretty much know what you've got - it ain't gonna be a lot but he can OPS 850 against LHP so he's a good pair with Baddoo.  Hill has the higher ceiling but the bat has to be there right now. I think he can win the job coming out of the gate if he hits well in ST but whichever of them wins it. the other is only the 1st slump away from swapping places so I don't see it as a very big deal whichever comes north in April. As per this link   Baddoo, Reyes, Cameron & Hill all have options remaining so they will be free to bounce them around.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

don't see much of a chance for Cameron - I think he's going to have to put up some good numbers at Toledo for a while to prove his bat before he gets a call. Reyes and Hill will be good competition. Reyes had a good off season and you pretty much know what you've got - it ain't gonna be a lot but he can OPS 850 against LHP so he's a good pair with Baddoo.  Hill has the higher ceiling but the bat has to be there right now. I think he can win the job coming out of the gate if he hits well in ST but whichever of them wins it. the other is only the 1st slump away from swapping places so I don't see it as a very big deal whichever comes north in April. As per this link   Baddoo, Reyes, Cameron & Hill all have options remaining so they will be free to bounce them around.

Cameron put up very good numbers in Toledo last season (though less than 200 AB’s).  He’s ready to be pushed, though might get squeezed instead.  I’d platoon Hill and Baddoo, and start Cameron and Reyes in Toledo.  Reyes only gets the call in case of injuries.

Cameron , perhaps as I am beginning to think, will prove to be the Great White Whale of Tigers Baseball. Like Melville's creation in "Moby Dick", the appearance of his vaunted production may prove to be elusive. I hope he puts it all together, as his past flashes of brilliance are exciting.