4/2 @ 1:05 Orioles @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Sportrac says they own him $28M for this year. He's been under 100 OPS+ the last three seasons.

And any team that picks him up can get him for the ML minimum? Angels would have to pick up the rest? Move Baddoo to CF and use him in LF? Or do we go with H. Castro, Haase or V. Reyes?

I'm fuzzy on the details of Upton's time here.  He had a ridiculous contract from Mike I., but with an opt-out I think?  And he opted out, much to the Tigers' relief, and took a contract from the Angels for less AAV but more years?  I am just trying to remember, if he had not opted out would he still be on the Tigers' payroll in 2022?

10 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I'm fuzzy on the details of Upton's time here.  He had a ridiculous contract from Mike I., but with an opt-out I think?  And he opted out, much to the Tigers' relief, and took a contract from the Angels for less AAV but more years?  I am just trying to remember, if he had not opted out would he still be on the Tigers' payroll in 2022?

We traded him, he didn't opt out.

17 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

yup - we signed him for 6yrs in 2016 so by my math we would still be paying him this year if we still had him. The Angels 'extended' him but that deal was 5 yrs in 2017 so was still only through this season.

In fact looking at it, it doesn't make a lot of sense on the surface. His Det deal was 132M for 6 yrs. A yr later the 'new' LA deal was 106M for 5yrs. Obviously other details may have changed but just on the money it was a non-move.

Edited by gehringer_2

Very likely, Upton will be waived and become a free agent. That's because he's owed $28 million for 2022, the final year of the five-year, $106 million pact he signed with the Angels prior to the 2018 season.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/angels-designate-veteran-outfielder-justin-upton-for-assignment-per-report/

Edited by Sports_Freak