Ranking each MLB team's TV broadcast team.

HERE are my ratings for th 2022 Major League Baseball Team Announcers.

Rating : WAY BETTER than Detroit’s TV team

Better

Same   “

Worse  “

Arizona

TV: Steve Berthiaume, Bob Brenly

SAME - Berthiaume and Brenly offer nothing extraordinary, which is strange considering Brenly’s background as a catcher and manager.

Atlanta

BETTER - TV: Chip Caray, Jeff Francoeur

Caray is solid, not quite the chip of the ol’ block, smooth and rah-rah.

Baltimore

BETTER - TV: Kevin Brown, Jim Palmer or Ben McDonald

Brown is solid, while Palmer has become a grumpy old guy talking about the good old days.

Boston

WAY BETTER - TV: Dave O’Brien, Dennis Eckersley

O’Brien is good, very professional. Eckersley is someone out there, but enthusiastic.

Chicago Cubs

BETTER - TV: Jon “Boog” Sciambi, Jim Deshaies

Sciambi has a entertaining sense of humor

Chicago White Sox

SAME - TV: Jason Benetti, Steve Stone. Benetti falls in love with his own sense of irony and humor. Stone, once solid and informative, has totally sold out his perspective.

Cincinnati

BETTER - TV: John Sadak, Barry Larkin or Chris Welsh. Solid broadcast with knowledge from Larkin and Welssh.

Cleveland

BETTER - TV: Matt Underwood, Rick Manning. Underwood has a tendency to yell too much. Manning is understated.

Colorado

BETTER - TV: Drew Goodman, Jeff Huson or Ryan Spilborghs. Listened to Goodman a lot having lived in Salt Lake City. He’s solid and always in the situation.

Houston

BETTER - TV Todd Kalas, Geoff Blum. Kalas is cool and calm, but allows the action to dictate his call. Blum is one of the new breed that offers non sequiturs in attempts to be humorous.

Kansas City

BETTER - TV: Ryan Lefebvre, Rex Hudler. Lefebvre is smooth and lets the action dictate his volume. Hudler is really enthusiastic. I like him a lot.

Los Angeles Angels

SAME - TV: Matt Vasgersian or Patrick O’Neal, Mark Gubicza. Vasgersian depends on his script (calls by rote) to call games. Yells too much. O’Neal and Gubicza are boring.

Los Angeles Dodgers

BETTER - TV: Joe Davis, Orel Hershiser. Like Hershiser, which I never thought I’d say.

Miami

DON’T KNOW - TV: Paul Severino, Tommy Hutton or J.P. Arencibia. Haven’t watched one of their games yet.

Milwaukee

BETTER - TV: Jeff Levering or Brian Anderson, Bill Schroeder. WAY BETTER WITH ANDERSON at the mic. Anderson is a regular for MLB Playoffs on TNT as well as NCAA college hoop.

Minnesota

SAME - TV: Dick Bremer, Justin Morneau. Bremer is mister obvious.

New York Mets

WAY BETTER - TV: Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez and/or Ron Darling. Cohen is a good listen while Darling and Hernandez are the best color guys.

New York Yankees

BETTER - TV: Michael Kay or Ryan Ruocco, David Cone and/or Paul O’Neill. Solid team. Like Cone and O’Neill

Oakland

WORSE - TV: Glen Kuiper, Dallas Braden. Plain irritating.

Philadelphia

SAME - TV: Tom McCarthy, John Kruk and/or Ben Davis

Pittsburgh

BETTER - TV and Radio: Greg Brown or Joe Block, Bob Walk or John Wehner. Brown is way laid back, allowing his “experts” to diagnose the game.

San Diego

WAY BETTER - TV: Don Orsillo, Mark Grant or Mark Sweeney. Orsillo was run out of Boston for reasons unknown to me. He and Grant, another one with the glut of non sequiturs, are entertaining as hell.

San Francisco

BETTER - TV: Duane Kuiper, Mike Krukow Kuiper makes up for always being a super homer with solid information.

LIKE DETROIT and MILWAUKEE the best announcer is on radio.

Seattle

BETTER - TV: Dave Sims, Mike Blowers. I believe Sims is the only African-American play-by-play guy for MLB.

St. Louis

BETTER - TV: Dan McLaughlin, Brad Thompson or Jim Edmonds

Tampa Bay

BETTER - TV: Dewayne Staats, Brian Anderson. Staats is a longtime veteran, while Anderson is nutty.

Texas

SAME - TV: Dave Raymond, C.J. Nitkowski

Toronto

WAY BETTER - TV: Dan Shulman and Buck Martinez. Shulman is dead solid. Good voice without overdoing it and Martinez brings his knowledge to the game.

Washington

SAME - TV: Bob Carpenter, Kevin Frandsen. Carpenter tends to go over the top with his calls.

Just say you don't like Matt shepherd.

It was a lot of words for that. To say chip carry, who we all remember from game 163, is better is laughably stupid. There are a number here that are worse but you came in with a bias idea.

The whole post is silly 

Shep is terrible, not sure he's the worst, but I don't watch a lot of other broadcasts. It does sound like the Angels broadcasts have been a struggle this year. I do watch some White Sox broadcasts and to put Benetti among the worst is laughable.

I've watched quite a few different broadcasts since having the MLB.TV subscription.

I agree with some of what was written, but a few disagreements:

White Sox - Benetti is actually pretty good. Stoney? Ehh, he may be mailing it in some, but to me they are the best broadcast in the AL Central.

Orioles - The comment about Jim Palmer is sort of unfair... he does talk about the past some, but he's still pretty well read and up to date on today's game as well. Usually learn something from listening to him and he clearly puts in the work, which compares favorably to Jimmie P.

Diamondbacks - Don't care much for Brenly but Steve Berthiaume is way better than Shep IMO. He's come a long way since Sportscenter.

Padres - Its an interesting pairing, Orsillo is great but overall Mark Grant is a bit too much of a clown for my taste. They find themselves at times talking about anything but the game. Particularly when the Friars are losing.

Just a few thoughts, others who know otherwise may disagree.

The real frustration is seeing the Appletv broadcast with that exquisite image or seeking the 4K broadcast of some other team's games (Boston and LA come to mind) and then seeing BSD or Directv squeeze the compression of their broadcast so it looks like crap.

I realize that the gambling interests who control MLB don't care about our franchise or fans but it would be nice if our team mattered as much as these others.

Edited by romad1

I just don't know how you can make that determination without hearing them all and numerous occasions, but ours is bad.  Just boring as hell.    Bring bad Rod & Mario.   They may not have been friends, but they got along well enough for several years to have an interesting broadcast.      So what if they had a tussle.  Guys do that sometimes.   They were just FAR more entertaining than what we have now.  

Regarding Oakland's terrible broadcast.    Does that ownership do anything to make their fans happy?    I really hate what that team is doing to it's fans.  It's just wrong and I hate Rob Manfred for allowing it to happen.    From my experience, when the A's are run correctly, those fans  have been fantastic and they LOVE their A's and this ownership wants to hurt them to get the city to cave into them.  It sucks and it's wrong.      I wish there could be a law in this country that if you want a stadium for your team YOU have to pay for it.   You'll still get funds for construction and infrastructure, but you build it.  John Fisher is an asshole. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

The real frustration is seeing the Appletv broadcast with that exquisite image or seeking the 4K broadcast of some other team's games (Boston and LA come to mind) and then seeing BSD or Directv squeeze the compression of their broadcast so it looks like crap.

Bally's presentation across all of their markets is terrible, not just Detroit. Especially when compared to the ROOT Sports/ATT Sportsnet markets like Houston or Seattle or Pittsburgh. For whatever reason, they all seem to invest more in presentation.

Apple's biggest problem is the announcing. I can ignore all the gambling stuff, but they are just the perfect marriage of great presentation and truly terrible announcing. Particularly in the early slot.

The Apple broadcasts are terrible. Pink hair nose ring lady for one, then Katie Nolan in the other crew has no business doing baseball. Throw in the bogus probabilities they flash on the screen and it's... well, at least I was able to knock out Ted Lasso.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/how-good-are-those-probabilities-on-the-apple-tv-broadcasts/

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/effectively-wild-episode-1853-what-are-the-odds/

Edited by Edman85

Watching the Astros-Mariners game right now and reminded that the Astros announcer, Todd Kalas, is the son of Harry Kalas, who did radio for the Phillies and was the voice of NFL Films for years. Like his dad, he has the deep voice and is pretty enjoyable to listen to

Edited by mtutiger

39 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The Apple broadcasts are terrible. Pink hair nose ring lady for one, then Katie Nolan in the other crew has no business doing baseball. Throw in the bogus probabilities they flash on the screen and it's... well, at least I was able to knock out Ted Lasso.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/how-good-are-those-probabilities-on-the-apple-tv-broadcasts/

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/effectively-wild-episode-1853-what-are-the-odds/

the first season of ted lasso was really good.  second season not so much.