2022 Preseason Thread

slothfacekilla

they got dominated, but that's to be expected considering who is on the wings and who pittsburgh is playing.

zadina with some nice work to get the puck and was one on one with jarry and...shot it right him.

kubalik with a bomb for the wings goal and he looks like their best player.  lots of speed.

soderblum is so freaking tall but is having a hard time keeping up.  fell down once but still was able to get the puck to the net.  not bad for a first period.

I'll quit spamming but at first intermission, I thought Zadina did some great things but also did a lot of the stuff he usually does that makes you smack your head.  Ugh.  Highest point was definitely the Kubalik one timer on the power play, I didn't realize his shot was that heavy.

Soderblom is fun to watch so far, he's still learning what moves he can and can't make against NHLers I think.  I would say both he and Zadina of all people probably took the body the hardest in period one.  Elmer legit just has to put his entire body into checks and it looks pretty gnarly though.

If anyone was on the fence about watching this I would say...skip it.  I think the Penguins will eventually run away with this and it is a Penguins radio feed (they routinely call the Wings by the wrong names so it is very disorienting) announcing using the Jumbotron feed for video so replays play over live stuff sometimes.  Not the best but hey I'm happy to watch some hockey lol.  1-1 after 1.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

cossa immediately gives up a goal on a nice play by rust.

berggren was really good in that period.  set up soderblum for an open net.  got the puck into the zone and maintained possession for the 4th goal.

Guessing that was a goal that Cossa hasn't had many WHL players score on him, coming in at speed and putting it over his shoulder on the backhand.  Hopefully he learns going down and relying on his height won't work in every situation, I think he looked pretty good otherwise.

elmer getting an early promotion!

he didnt look out of place against pittsburgh, just a little slow.

btw, i wouldnt take a ton away from that pitt game.  the penguins had the puck for a lot of the game but just couldnt find the net.  the wings played a lot of smash and grab hockey and, for a lot of the game, had a lot of trouble simply exiting their own zone, not to mention getting into pitt's zone and maintaining possession.  the pens had 9 power plays!

tonights game should be different with the hawks sending the b team.  although part of me thinks the b teams have a decent shot because they'll be trying to impress and trying hard while the a teams dont care because its a preseason game.  something to think about.

looking forward to edvinsson tonight.  i want to see less casual puck play and less turnovers.  more of a sense of urgency.  i would also like to see him man the point on the power play.  similarly, lets see if soderblum can be a top pp holmstrom type?

id like to see more of soderblum on the pk too.  i know he doesnt skate the best, but he has such a long reach and really good hands, he could pose some issues if he's up top using his length.  

2 hours ago, buddha said:

id like to see more of soderblum on the pk too.  i know he doesnt skate the best, but he has such a long reach and really good hands, he could pose some issues if he's up top using his length.  

Plus on pk he's already on defense.

He doesn't have the issue of being late/ slow getting back because he's already there...

He seems like a guy who looks very gifted to me... but you protect him as much as possible with situational ice time...