11/17/2022 10:30 EST Detroit Pistons vs Los Angeles Clippers

casimir

Going to be a rough couple of weeks.

Road trip
No Cade for at least a couple games
No Stew

Teams might just drop 130 on us every night, especially if we start Bagley next to Bey and Bogey. The three "B"s might be the worst defensive front line in the entire NBA.

I would hope they'd at least give Duren a try in order to have some sort of rim protection and rebounding in there with the starters. And/Or maybe leave Bey in his bench role to get him ready for Stew's return and put Livers in there at the 4. He's not a stopper, but he's a far superior team defender than Bey.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Going to be a rough couple of weeks.

Road trip
No Cade for at least a couple games
No Stew

Teams might just drop 130 on us every night, especially if we start Bagley next to Bey and Bogey. The three "B"s might be the worst defensive front line in the entire NBA.

I would hope they'd at least give Duren a try in order to have some sort of rim protection and rebounding in there with the starters. And/Or maybe leave Bey in his bench role to get him ready for Stew's return and put Livers in there at the 4. He's not a stopper, but he's a far superior team defender than Bey.

This roady is going enhance the lottery chances.

I watched it. Haven't missed a game since around 2001...

...and it was just as ugly as the box score would lead you to believe.

I'd love to say it was a old school defensive slugfest, but it wasn't. Neither team could shoot for most of the game. They could've built a new arena with all the bricks.

It was the perfect opportunity to steal a win on the road trip, but ultimately the Pistons missed open shot after shot to throw it away despite a good offensive game from Bojan.

I can't comprehend what's happened to Bey since his rookie year but he needs to figure his shot out. It's nice that he's getting to the line, but if he can't shoot league average from three it doesn't matter alongside his poor defense and lack of athleticism.

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

... I can't comprehend what's happened to Bey ... It's nice that he's getting to the line, but if he can't shoot league average from three it doesn't matter alongside his poor defense and lack of athleticism.

Can you compare him to Livers?

Livers looks spotty at this point (IMO), at least with regards to shot consistency and floor-IQ (which could be just a lack of playing time/ games)... but, what do you think?

i think its always going to be harder for guys like bey and livers because they are below average nba athletes.  stewart too.

bey is going to have to get more consistent with his shot to be a good role player in the league.  50 point hot games aside, that's his future.  which is not horrible for where he was drafted.  we'll see what his next contract brings to see if weaver recognizes that too or if he's overvalued and overpaid him because that's "his guy."

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Can you compare him to Livers?

Livers looks spotty at this point (IMO), at least with regards to shot consistency and floor-IQ (which could be just a lack of playing time/ games)... but, what do you think?

I think it's more a question of role right now.

Bey isn't providing what the starters need, which is outside shooting and wing defense. I think Livers is currently better suited to that role. He's a better shooter, defensive communicator, ball mover, and team defender. He knows his role. We don't need Bey trying to be a 1-on-1 bucket getter next to Cade, Ivey, and Bojan. We need a guy who can shoot the three when open and play better defense. That's Livers over Bey.

Conversely, the bench needs another guy who can get to the line and maybe bully the opponents second unit. So Bey could flourish in that role. If he figures out his three ball, then maybe you can bring him back up with the starters, but it could be that he's more of the Corliss Williamson off the bench guy rather than the 3 and D Jae Crowder type people thought he would be.

All that said, I just want to see Stew get healthy so we can try out the Stew + Duren (or Bagley for now, I guess) lineup, which would mean neither Livers nor Bey in the starting unit.

Edited by Betrayer

I agree with Livers over Bey. I think I made a Bey = Corliss Williamson post somewhere (or maybe I was just thinking that in my head...). I think Bey has a huge advantage on a second unit but on the first unit just bogs down the offense and is not what is needed. Same as you.

I guess what I am asking more about is "trust factor"... Is Livers ready to make that jump yet, or does he still need to earn some trust factor due to his play on-court? Just your guess on that.

As for Stew, I think he also should be on the second unit. And that Duren should start. But I think having Livers/ Bojan in front creates a rebounding/ defensive weakness and Bagley/ plus one of Livers/ Bojan is the same. Livers/Bojan I'd prefer to keep at SF and Bagley, well, he doesn't D. So maybe Stew at PF? I'd like to find one more guy more talented...

One more 3 & D big should do the trick (either PF or Center... I think Duren could play either spot as a rim runner/ defender and it wouldn't matter which...). 

19 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I guess what I am asking more about is "trust factor"... Is Livers ready to make that jump yet, or does he still need to earn some trust factor due to his play on-court? Just your guess on that.

I don't really trust Livers yet. It's too small of a sample size. But the sample size on Bey is large enough that it's less about my trust in Livers and more about my distrust in Saddiq's outside shot and defense. You've got nothing to lose giving Livers a try with the starters or giving the Stew at PF lineup a try as well. Things aren't working with Bey and Bojan in the starting lineup regardless, so we might as well experiment.

As Del eluded to though, both of those guys are just placeholders. We need a far more talented two way wing at some point if we're going to get anywhere. Good thing we'll have a lottery pick and something like 50M in cap space to try to figure that out this offseason.