2022 FIFA World Cup of Marketing (with soccer tournament)

Hongbit

They need to find a striker.  Their style was ineffective without anyone there to finish in the box.   They also need to identify just one person in America or with American blood that can play center back better than Walker Zimmerman.   That shouldn’t be too hard.  

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This Berhalter clown show needs to end today.  US Soccer leadership has no stones and even less accountability and will keep him on for another 4 years to ruin this generation.   

berhalter's brother is a us soccer high up official.  i doubt he goes anywhere.  in fact, id be stunned if they fired him.  after all, he did his job, they got out of the group (thanks to england playing for a tie).

19 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

This Saturday’s France-England quarter is giving me a Michigan-Ohio State vibe. I think it’s England’s time, they will break through and knock out the defending champs.  No one in the tournament, apart form Brazil, is in the same talent league as these two countries. 

half of france's team is injured so i'm not sure why theyre thw favorite.

other than the fact that france's reserves are as talented as 3/4 of the teams in the tournament.  in fact, missing pogba and kante and kimpembe probably make them better.  missing benzema really hurts but france actually seem to work better as a team with giroud in the lineup.  giroud clears out space and helps mbappe by being a set up guy.  benzema and mbappe tend to run into each other's way.

but if you need a last minute inspiration to win you a game, you cant do better than benzema.

i remember being in a bar in chicago in 2004 when zidane scored twice in the dying moments for france to beat england 2-1.  the bar owner had to step and keep the one french fan (other than me) from getting pummelled after the game.  owner was irish so he didnt mind england losing.

and it was all the sweeter because gerrard was the one who fucked up and lost the game.  liverpool loser.

France/England will be epic.  Shame they had to meet this early.   Mbappe is at another level and Giroud has turned back the clock. He’s exactly the type of striker a team like the US was missing.   Engerland has the pieces but they need their top game to show up under pressure.

I am just as excited for Argies/Oranj.  Argentina is more talented but Holland has been playing superb.  They put on a clinic for most of the US match.

Put a few dollars on S.Korea to pull the upset over Brazil today.   Won’t happen but I liked the odds and thought I’d give it a go.