MLB Network's "Top 100"; and where they are.

Useful Idiot

37 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I also became a fan in '68.  

A few months back, one of your responses to my cynicism was a question asking "how long before I jump ship entirely?" (or words very similar).

Which of course had special meaning that  you at the time likely never intended,  considering my biological clock.  

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Harris seems to be banking on being able to get some of the current players to do better while he puts his systems in place for finding new ones. 

C'mon man. "mastering the strike zone"?  "put the right assets in place that will allow our younger players to reach their FULL potential"?   Can't you tell when someone is playing you?

The 2015 Royals were the fluke. All the jealousy they inspired among other owners believing that smart management could win cheaply, is just self-abuse. And if they don't stop it they WILL go blind... LOL!

21 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

I will say that I am very pleased to see Matt Boyd back in the D, simply because many of you were so enthusiastic about sending him away....that is the one silver lining of the Harris era.

The Harris Era started 5 months ago.   Give him some time

As for your assertion that he did nothing, you are very very wrong.      He totally revamped the scouting and training departments,  made a bunch of minor league coaching hires and approved changes to the ballpark dimensions. 

He needs to see what he has and evaluate what's in the system by his own way of measuring things.  He can't rely on what notes were in place on young players since he is basically scrapping the way Avila evaluated and developed talent.  He's done plenty.   Gotta get the young guys the ABs this year - see what he's got.

Signing a big name on a bad team would have been dumb. 

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

As for your assertion that he did nothing, you are very very wrong.      He totally revamped the scouting and training departments,  made a bunch of minor league coaching hires and approved changes to the ballpark dimensions. 

The lights, don't forget the lights!!  ROFL!!

25 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Signing a big name on a bad team would have been dumb. 

I will admit you are right about that, and using my now infamous "the glass is half empty" brand of optimism, we have enough payroll headroom to sign not just one big name, but several. And they could easily have paid a luxury tax for one year while waiting for Miggy's contract to come off the books!

Think of all the money they saved these past five years  by being frugal. They got room to spend.

Edited by Useful Idiot

2 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Of course for any Tigers fan, spring training is the best part of the experience.  Despite losing ballgame after ballgame,  we  can still find comfort in insisting that it doesn't really matter.

Half the game you're playing guys with uniform numbers in the 70s and 80s,   it really doesn't matter.    

12 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Just think of all those valuable at-bat experiences that he's robbing from our ascendant  kiddie korps?

For the record, I thought his acquisition was fine, although I preferred 4 seasons with a maximum of 5 (maybe as a vesting option) as opposed to a maximum of 6.  The salary seemed fine.  His offense and defense in 2022 were not what was expected, I think we can all agree upon that. 

One thing that strikes me is that his hard hit rate was 38.4% vs a career of 43.7% and a ground ball rate of 50.6% vs a career of 47.0%.  Both are among his worst seasons.  A look at some other ratios suggest that he was beating the ball into the earth when he made contact, not getting quite the angle necessary for line drives.  Given the overall team malaise offensively, I'd guess he fell victim to that, or was a symptom of an overall problem.  A change in hitting coaches may or may not help.

And how that offense might manifest itself defensively (and who knows, it could have been defense affecting offense, or either driving both), I'm not sure.

But going back to my original response, I'm not sure why anybody expected him to be traded. coming off of his 2022.  Who is trading for him and what kind of deal is it?

4 hours ago, casimir said:

For the record, I thought his acquisition was fine, although I preferred 4 seasons with a maximum of 5 (maybe as a vesting option) as opposed to a maximum of 6.  The salary seemed fine.  His offense and defense in 2022 were not what was expected, I think we can all agree upon that. 

One thing that strikes me is that his hard hit rate was 38.4% vs a career of 43.7% and a ground ball rate of 50.6% vs a career of 47.0%.  Both are among his worst seasons.  A look at some other ratios suggest that he was beating the ball into the earth when he made contact, not getting quite the angle necessary for line drives.  Given the overall team malaise offensively, I'd guess he fell victim to that, or was a symptom of an overall problem.  A change in hitting coaches may or may not help.

And how that offense might manifest itself defensively (and who knows, it could have been defense affecting offense, or either driving both), I'm not sure.

But going back to my original response, I'm not sure why anybody expected him to be traded. coming off of his 2022.  Who is trading for him and what kind of deal is it?

I wonder if with that increased GB rate and lack of shift help his BA increases this year if he stays on the same glide path? I have to believe Tork will benefit from it.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I wonder if with that increased GB rate and lack of shift help his BA increases this year if he stays on the same glide path? I have to believe Tork will benefit from it.

I think his rookie season is a combination failure to meet lofty (unfair?) expectations with a bit of bad luck thrown on top.  It was a tough season, but I'm still optimistic about his future.

8 hours ago, casimir said:

Well, you're right in the sense of "who would want him?"  I was perhaps unfairly preoccupied with the irony of having him on a roster where the stated priority is to "master the strike zone"

His talents really don't key into that ethos very well.