NBA Info - March 2023

NBA Mock Draft: Victor Wembanyama still on top; a lot at stake in pre-draft process

1. Detroit Pistons - Victor Wembanyama | 7-4 center
  2. Houston Rockets - Scoot Henderson | 6-2 lead guard
  3. San Antonio Spurs - Brandon Miller | 6-9 wing
  4. Charlotte Hornets - Amen Thompson | 6-7 lead guard
  5. Orlando Magic - Cam Whitmore | 6-7 wing
  6. Washington Wizards - Ausar Thompson | 6-7 wing
  7. Portland Trail Blazers - Anthony Black | 6-7 guard
  8. Indiana Pacers - Jarace Walker | 6-8 forward
  9. Orlando Magic (via CHI) - Taylor Hendricks | 6-9 forward
  10. Toronto Raptors - Cason Wallace | 6-4 guard

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36025332/nba-nbpa-agree-new-7-year-collective-bargaining-agreement

The in-season tournament could arrive as soon as the 2023-24 season. The event will include pool-play games baked into the regular-season schedule starting in November -- with eight teams advancing to a single-elimination tournament in December. The Final Four will be held at a neutral site, with Las Vegas prominent in the discussion, sources said.

Each in-season tournament game would count toward regular-season standings; the two finalists would ultimately play an 83rd game that would not count in the regular season. Winning players and coaches will earn additional prize money.

I don’t like the concept of a mid season tournament.  I am probably just being an old man that is set in the ways of a regular season leading to the playoffs leading to a championship.  But I guess I am not sure how a mid season tournament enhances that flow for me as a fan.  I completely understand how this might generate more revenue, and surely that’s the output driving the input, so to speak.

I’ve heard the minimum games played qualifier a bit the past year or so, and I like the idea.  I don’t know how much it helps reduce “load management”, but it seems like a step in the right direction.

So, now, how will these two parameters play with one another?  Does a team like the Bucks give a rip about a mid season tournament when the ultimate goal is later on in the season?

I know, I know, we just need to wait for the details to be announced.

32 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t like the concept of a mid season tournament.  I am probably just being an old man that is set in the ways of a regular season leading to the playoffs leading to a championship.  But I guess I am not sure how a mid season tournament enhances that flow for me as a fan.  I completely understand how this might generate more revenue, and surely that’s the output driving the input, so to speak.

I’ve heard the minimum games played qualifier a bit the past year or so, and I like the idea.  I don’t know how much it helps reduce “load management”, but it seems like a step in the right direction.

So, now, how will these two parameters play with one another?  Does a team like the Bucks give a rip about a mid season tournament when the ultimate goal is later on in the season?

I know, I know, we just need to wait for the details to be announced.

you hate the idea of a mid season tournament because youre worried about the "flow" of a detroit-charlotte match in february?  why not add a little extra spice to a game that both teams would normally sleepwalk through?

soccer runs three or four other tournaments during the regular season.  its fun.  american sports could benefit from something similar.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

you hate the idea of a mid season tournament because youre worried about the "flow" of a detroit-charlotte match in february?  why not add a little extra spice to a game that both teams would normally sleepwalk through?

soccer runs three or four other tournaments during the regular season.  its fun.  american sports could benefit from something similar.

Yes, I hate the idea.  I might have to watch it now.

14 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

What do the fans get?  Why are fans going to get excited about these games?

I think the concept is that now Detroit vs Charlotte means something more because there is a regular season tournament.  I’m just not sure that idea actually has merit beyond theory.  Maybe it will work, I don’t know.

Look, sports leagues ain’t looking for us necessarily.  We’re already invested/addicted.  Maybe they’ll get a few extra bucks from us via betting or whatnot.  But they’re after the less invested fans right now.

I still don’t see how the Bucks or Nuggets would care about a mid season tournament.  If their main players are questionable, they ain’t playing in a mid season tournament, but they will in the playoffs/finals.  So, with that in mind, I agree, what do you or I care about it?  Why do I give a rip of soccer does it?

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think the concept is that now Detroit vs Charlotte means something more because there is a regular season tournament.  I’m just not sure that idea actually has merit beyond theory.  Maybe it will work, I don’t know.

Look, sports leagues ain’t looking for us necessarily.  We’re already invested/addicted.  Maybe they’ll get a few extra bucks from us via betting or whatnot.  But they’re after the less invested fans right now.

I still don’t see how the Bucks or Nuggets would care about a mid season tournament.  If their main players are questionable, they ain’t playing in a mid season tournament, but they will in the playoffs/finals.  So, with that in mind, I agree, what do you or I care about it?  Why do I give a rip of soccer does it?

i dont expect you to "give a rip" because soccer does it, i'm just saying other sports do it and its successful and generates a lot of interest.  it gives teams something else to play for.  i know how excited you are in watching the pistons try to lose every game for the last four years.

why would the players care?  $500k per player if you win might do that, dont you think?  not everyone on the league is on a max contract ya know.

Just now, buddha said:

i dont expect you to "give a rip" because soccer does it, i'm just saying other sports do it and its successful and generates a lot of interest.  it gives teams something else to play for.  i know how excited you are in watching the pistons try to lose every game for the last four years.

why would the players care?  $500k per player if you win might do that, dont you think?  not everyone on the league is on a max contract ya know.

But the players the drive the league are max contract type players.  So what does $500K means to them?

Just now, casimir said:

But the players the drive the league are max contract type players.  So what does $500K means to them?

youre just making up reasons not to like it before it even starts.  if you want to be a bitter old man who doesnt like any change, have at it.

we'll see how it goes.  you can come on here and not start game threads in protest.  you'll show them for trying to make detroit-houston meaningful!