NBA Info - March 2023

Just now, buddha said:

youre just making up reasons not to like it before it even starts.  if you want to be a bitter old man who doesnt like any change, have at it.

we'll see how it goes.  you can come on here and not start game threads in protest.  you'll show them for trying to make detroit-houston meaningful!

Wow, you’re awfully charged up today, aren’t you?

1 minute ago, buddha said:

i dont expect you to "give a rip" because soccer does it, i'm just saying other sports do it and its successful and generates a lot of interest.  it gives teams something else to play for.  i know how excited you are in watching the pistons try to lose every game for the last four years.

why would the players care?  $500k per player if you win might do that, dont you think?  not everyone on the league is on a max contract ya know.

I am not opposed to a mid-season tournament.  I am opposed to this stupid format.

Does soccer have mid-season tournaments where they just play their own league teams against each other?  I thought it was always like the FA Cup or UEFA.  You bring 30 teams from Europe here to play in a 60 team single elimination tournament I might watch that.

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

I am not opposed to a mid-season tournament.  I am opposed to this stupid format.

Does soccer have mid-season tournaments where they just play their own league teams against each other?  I thought it was always like the FA Cup or UEFA.  You bring 30 teams from Europe here to play in a 60 team single elimination tournament I might watch that.

Are you talking NBA teams vs non NBA teams?  Now that’d be an interesting wrinkle.

Just now, casimir said:

Are you talking NBA teams vs non NBA teams?  Now that’d be an interesting wrinkle.

Yeah, that is what the soccer teams do.  

The FA Cup is 9 divisions of English soccer teams all in one tournament.

UEFA is a few teams from each European league that come together and all compete to see who the best club team in Europe is.

Take all 30 NBA teams.  Then take 10 from Europe, 10 from Asia, and 10 from South America and have your own March Madness style tournament.  Add or subtract a few teams to make things work numbers wise, but you get the idea.

25 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

the cup tournaments involve teams from all divisions.  top league teams play each other all the time once the initial rounds are over.  its a blind draw.  the finals are almost always top league teams against one another.

it is different because you have more than one league.  it would be if they put college teams and g-league teams in it.

38 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which gets a team...

What?

you win the tournament.

if you win a cup tournament, you win the cup.  i dont get why this is so hard for americans to understand.  its another competition, you play to win it.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Who's gonna tell the owners they've agreed to issue stock in their teams and dilute their ownership?

How does the ownership work with player movement from team to team?  Do Durant and Irving still have stock in the Nets right now?  How does that show up in the various trade machines?  Is it possible Keith Van Horn signs a deal out of nowhere to get traded again?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

In all fairness, nobody knows what the tournament will be.  So it’s a little unfair to be critical of the unknown.

On the other hand, this league is good for some dumb ideas.  So, cynicism shouldn’t be unexpected.

You shouldn't be penalized if you draft and develop three stars in a short period.  And the super-max they are talking about is only for guys coming off their rookie scale contract.  Guys that meet certain criteria to trigger the 35% contract instead of the 25%. 

You could always have 3 veteran guys on 35% contracts on your team, assuming you could make it work salary cap wise.