03/18/2023 1:05 pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs St. Louis Cardinals

casimir

42 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes Davis has been hanging in there.  He can play defense, run the bases, and bat righthanded.  But he isn't much of a hitter.  It doesn't seem that he has any chance to make the team.

I would say he’s probably a better baseball player right now than Miguel Cabrera because he can play defense, he can run bases, and neither is much of a hitter.

Just now, Tenacious D said:

I wonder if Short is being seriously considered for a bench spot?  He’s played well this spring and might be our best defensive SS, especially if they don’t want to keep Kreidler on the bench.  Playing him in LF today makes me think that they are thinking about it.

He’s on the 40, he’s being used in the IF and OF, so I think they’re considering it.

Maybe they should be using Short in CF a bit more to see if he’s a viable RHH CF option if Vierling becomes unavailable.  I’m not sure how much, if at all, he’s been in CF.  Or maybe they’ve seen enough.

32 minutes ago, casimir said:

He’s on the 40, he’s being used in the IF and OF, so I think they’re considering it.

Maybe they should be using Short in CF a bit more to see if he’s a viable RHH CF option if Vierling becomes unavailable.  I’m not sure how much, if at all, he’s been in CF.  Or maybe they’ve seen enough.

what works against Short is that he was already 26 when he got 180 PA in '21 and didn't do much with them, so it fair to be skeptical a ST performance at 28 is going to carry over all that much. He'll have to do a lot to overcome the assumptions in place about him.

Edited by gehringer_2

58 minutes ago, casimir said:

I would say he’s probably a better baseball player right now than Miguel Cabrera because he can play defense, he can run bases, and neither is much of a hitter.

I don't think that anyone will disagree.  Unfortunately Cabrera's roster spot isn't up for debate.

35 minutes ago, Evil Roy Slade said:

At the game, Tigers are looking at best lackluster.

6 minutes ago, Evil Roy Slade said:

Stupid Tigers.Stupid Tigers.

Why are you telling us?  Shouldn’t you be yelling at them?

Could you go down to the dugout and ask Hinch why he’s starting Johnathan Davis?

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

what works against Short is that he was already 26 when he got 180 PA in '21 and didn't do much with them, so it fair to be skeptical a ST performance at 28 is going to carry over all that much. He'll have to do a lot to overcome the assumptions in place about him.

To be honest, I’m surprised he’s still on the 40.

In all honesty, this is a good game to suck.  Get it out of the way.  It’s not on Tiger radio or television.  Boyd gets a clunker out of his system.  Sucks for Evil Roy, but on the other, he’s in Florida in March, so, hey, that ain’t bad.