04/07/2023 7:00 EDT Detroit Pistons vs Indiana Pacers

casimir

I cannot believe how much the technique on Ivey's shot has improved since his days at Purdue.  And even it seems like since the beginning of the season.  I never thought it would get this far.  I was always kind of hoping just for a Shawn Marion type deal where it looks ugly but can at least be somewhat effective at times.  But it seems like it can be much more than that now.  It's actually a decent looking stroke now.  

Edited by Hart
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Hart said:

I cannot believe how much the technique on Ivey's shot has improved since his days at Purdue.  And even it seems like since the beginning of the season.  I never thought it would get this far.  I was always kind of hoping just for a Shawn Marion type deal where it looks ugly but can at least be somewhat effective at times.  But it seems like it can be much more than that now.  It's actually a decent looking stroke now.  

Without a doubt. Ivey has improved a ton this season. His 3-ball, free throws, mid-range game & decision making, screen navigation, and passing.

He's shooting 34% from three on the year and 37% since the All-Star break.
He's averaging 5.3 assists per game on the year and 7.3 since the All-Star break.
He's averaging 15.2 points per game, 19.4 since the All-Star break.
Even his FT% has gone up significantly into the 80% range over the past two months.

I know a lot of people checked out on watching games after February, but much like Cade did last year, Ivey has shown huge growth. Can't wait to see those two together next year.

Yeah I rarely watch full games anymore but I tune in basically every game for stretches and I've been really impressed with Ivey's play atleast on the offensive end. Admittedly I'm not the best at gauging defense unless it's something that is completely obvious so it's hard for me to comment on that but by most accounts its where he struggles. Is there any hope that he can atleast be adequate there in the future?

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I rarely watch full games anymore but I tune in basically every game for stretches and I've been really impressed with Ivey's play atleast on the offensive end. Admittedly I'm not the best at gauging defense unless it's something that is completely obvious so it's hard for me to comment on that but by most accounts its where he struggles. Is there any hope that he can atleast be adequate there in the future?

I have definitely noticed improvement in his defense over the course of the year. Not saying it's good, or even neutral yet, but it's been getting better. During last night's broadcast they highlighted a play where Ivey cut off his man's dribble drive twice on that play. So, there are flashes. They interviewed his mom in the pregame and she mentioned his improvement on defense as well.

So, it's clearly something he's working on, but he's got a long way to go. This team desperately needs to add some strong defenders at the Forward positions along with continued improvement from Duren.

7 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Without a doubt. Ivey has improved a ton this season. His 3-ball, free throws, mid-range game & decision making, screen navigation, and passing.

He's shooting 34% from three on the year and 37% since the All-Star break.
He's averaging 5.3 assists per game on the year and 7.3 since the All-Star break.
He's averaging 15.2 points per game, 19.4 since the All-Star break.
Even his FT% has gone up significantly into the 80% range over the past two months.

I know a lot of people checked out on watching games after February, but much like Cade did last year, Ivey has shown huge growth. Can't wait to see those two together next year.

They just need the right coach to make sure Cade and Ivey gel.  

I do think you need to take these games with a grain a salt because there is a lot of very lax defense being played.  But the skills are definitely there to be a great backcourt combo for a long time. 

As far as Ivey's defense, at some point we need to see consistent good effort there to know if he can even be a good defender.  You would think with his physical gifts, it would be a no brainer.  But given he was not known for his defense in college either, I am a little concerned about that side of the ball long term for him.