07/29/2023 4:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Miami Marlins

casimir

Two opposite HR's by the Tigers. What's funny is on a Marlin's message board, they were claiming the Tigers{not Miami} were benefited from some juiced balls, courtesy from the League to maybe help Miggy hit a home run. they say the two hr's were helped and the Marlin's balls died at the warning track. Damn. they may be right..

7 hours ago, kdog said:

Brieske will open; Wentz will be the second guy. Do something outside this afternoon lol. 

I watched the first 3 innings outside.  Caught the rest inside.

Hey, the sun got hot.  What else was I s’posed to do?

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Akil with the 3 run bomb! Maybe some of the posts recently on here(including some by me) about him lit a fire under him!

I was watching FS1 and they mentioned how, per Hinch, Baddoo had gotten a little pull happy the pitch or two before the home run.  It was well timed.

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why the **** is there replay if you don't want to hurt the home plate umpire by overturning him?   He didn't touch short and neither did the strings of his glove   Total **** call. 

I’m not sure it was conclusive.  I think it was one of those plays that don’t get overturned no matter what the original call was.  I do think he was safe.  I think there was a slight bit of movement of the mitt, but I don’t know if that was from a tag or the progression of a catch and attempt at a tag.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Haase definitely deserves to be sent down but I guess since its a lost season now might as well keep him up IF the young pitchers are comfortable with him and/or he "calls a good game" to help them out. We better look for alternatives in the offseason though cause he is just killing us, -1.3 WAR in only 77 games played thus far. 

Sure, they could call up Sands and his sub .700 OPS.

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Cabrera hits a two-out single - that's 2 hits today - and then Rogers pinch runs for him.  That seems like a strange choice.

Yes, I thought Ibanez might have been the pinch runner.

But, hey, Cabrera had a vintage line drive to RF for a double.  Gotta think he’s relishing his opportunity this weekend.  And the Miami crowd has seemed really receptive to him.  It’s a nice personal series for him.

I may be in the minority, but I like Cueto’s approach on the mound.  Yes, he’s old, his stuff ain’t what it used to be.  But he augments what he has with variations on the mound.  Moving around on the slab.  Quick pitches and slight delays in his deliveries.  Adding some of those little things to add discomfort to the batter to try to make up for the aging stuff and movement.  Just trying to get whatever advantage he can from pitch to pitch.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I may be in the minority, but I like Cueto’s approach on the mound.  Yes, he’s old, his stuff ain’t what it used to be.  But he augments what he has with variations on the mound.  Moving around on the slab.  Quick pitches and slight delays in his deliveries.  Adding some of those little things to add discomfort to the batter to try to make up for the aging stuff and movement.  Just trying to get whatever advantage he can from pitch to pitch.

He's had a good career with it. But I would guess he's an exception to the rule. For the average pitcher the cost in lost delivery reproducibility/command is like as not going to be greater than the advantage gained against hitters. 

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

He's had a good career with it. But I would guess he's an exception to the rule. For the average pitcher the cost in lost delivery reproducibility/command is like as not going to be greater than the advantage gained against hitters. 

Sure.  Athletes are probably too much into the repetitive nature that what Cueto does can’t be attempted by all.  I would think it takes a certain mindset and lots of tinkering along the way to be successful with it.

I don’t know if it’d be similar, but Scherzer’s varying tosses to 1B to keep the running game in check comes to mind.  He’s never really had a good pickoff move.  But what he did learn along the way was to adjust his timing if he did throw over in order to keep the runner more honest about taking off.