08/16/2023 1:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Minnesota Twins

casimir

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

That popup that dropped between him and Haase was something he hopefully learns from. Making mistakes isn't an issue if it teaches a lesson and doesn't happen again. Maybe neither player picked up the ball in the high sky...

Is that the catcher's call?  Haase waved his arms about as if he'd lost the ball, I'm guessing around when the ball was close to its apex.  The problem is that Vierling is probably looking at the ball and not at Haase.  They've got to audibly communicate there.  I would think calling it should have been heard by the other, but I don't know.

I think some miscues should be expected with Vierling for now.  It's going to happen, he's getting used to new territory.  OK, fine.  The problem is that the rest of the defense has looked a bit ragged lately.

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

Is that the catcher's call?  Haase waved his arms about as if he'd lost the ball, I'm guessing around when the ball was close to its apex.  The problem is that Vierling is probably looking at the ball and not at Haase.  They've got to audibly communicate there.  I would think calling it should have been heard by the other, but I don't know.

I think some miscues should be expected with Vierling for now.  It's going to happen, he's getting used to new territory.  OK, fine.  The problem is that the rest of the defense has looked a bit ragged lately.

Lack of effective communication between players who have not played next to each other much is inevitable and largely self-correcting with more time together (one of the constraints on constantly mixing and matching), but it's a different issue from the player's ability to execute plays at the position.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, casimir said:

Seems like a popup between 3rd base and catcher should be caught by the 3rd baseman. The catcher has all that gear on and he's using a catchers mitt. It looked to me like they both lost it in the sky but I could be wrong. Vierling needs to take charge on plays like that and call the catcher off. As for the rest of the defense? It's actually looked decent, that 9th inning catch by Baddoo in LF may have saved the game for us.

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Seems like a popup between 3rd base and catcher should be caught by the 3rd baseman. The catcher has all that gear on and he's using a catchers mitt. It looked to me like they both lost it in the sky but I could be wrong. Vierling needs to take charge on plays like that and call the catcher off. As for the rest of the defense? It's actually looked decent, that 9th inning catch by Baddoo in LF may have saved the game for us.

Agree with the catching gear and all of that.  Plus the catcher is focused so much on catching a pitch whereas a fielder is waiting for the ball to come off of the bat.

But we’ll have to disagree on the Tiger defense as a whole lately.  It ain’t been good regardless of some fine individual plays.