08/16/2023 1:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Minnesota Twins

casimir

39 minutes ago, Dave Christian said:

I'm hoping that Torkelson stays on this power surge through August 26th when I bring my seven year old grand son to Comerica wearing his Torkelson jersey to watch the Astros.

It would also be nice if he held it through the Tigers weekend visit to Chicago in early September lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Yep, on pace for 27 homers and 88 RBIs. Pretty sure his current OPS of .734 is his season high. Even if he ends up with say, 25 homers and 80 RBIs, I’d have gladly take it at beginning of the year as a big step forward. 

Edit: now on pace for 28 HRs, 89 RBIs, current OPS of .740 is his season high. 

3 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

They continue to make adjustments to the league which is a really good sign. They can afford to give some September call ups a taste of the majors, even if they have to cut some dead weight to free up playing time.

Torkelson hit two breaking balls for HRs, then hit a 95 mph fastball to the wall in the 9th. Yeah - he's adjustable. 😉

Rogers hasn't done much with the bat this week but what a huge play that pickoff throw was in the second inning.  The score was already 4-0 when he erased a baserunner, added an out, and they never scored again until the 9th.  You might very well describe that as the turning point, when the Tigers got up off the mat. That's why he needs to catch 5 games a week, 125 for the year.  That should have been obvious in April.

He would get about 425 PA's batting 9th, and he would hit 25 home runs from that 9 spot.  I always thought he could hit .240 but that seems unlikely now, so getting on base at even a .300 pace will not happen.  So what we have is an elite defensive catcher who hits 25 home runs a year for the next 4 years and I am very pleased about that.

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

How can they have spent the whole season not knowing Vierling is their best 3b and it's not even close?

And TBH, his bat is pretty marginal for the OF unless he is in center, and that isn't going to happen with Riley here and Parker Meadows likely on the way.  So he's more valuable at 3B anyway.

I'd say keep him there for the rest of the season.  There will be the random Greene off day and Vierling will be in CF for that, and that's fine.  But leave him at 3B.  Let's see what happens.

5 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Rogers hasn't done much with the bat this week but what a huge play that pickoff throw was in the second inning.  The score was already 4-0 when he erased a baserunner, added an out, and they never scored again until the 9th.  You might very well describe that as the turning point, when the Tigers got up off the mat. That's why he needs to catch 5 games a week, 125 for the year.  That should have been obvious in April.

He would get about 425 PA's batting 9th, and he would hit 25 home runs from that 9 spot.  I always thought he could hit .240 but that seems unlikely now, so getting on base at even a .300 pace will not happen.  So what we have is an elite defensive catcher who hits 25 home runs a year for the next 4 years and I am very pleased about that.

I don't know.  Haase had two pretty decent offensive seasons heading into this one.  Rogers played all of 0 games in 2022 due to Tommy John.  I think there was justification early on for Haase to be the primary catcher and for Rogers to be brought back into live game play slowly.  Sure, there was spring training to do that, but its probably a different animal than regular season games.

Going forward, Rogers should be the primary catcher.  I don't think there's any question about that.  The question is do they bring Haase back for another season?  Does Sands or someone else replace Haase as the back up?

I think they’re in a bit of a tough spot with Jake. He’d had a pretty good run beginning in early June, starting 26 of 40 team games and slashing .307/.371/.557. They may have been trying to ease him into a heavier #1 catcher’s load role as he played in 13 straight games starting July 28, starting nine of them. It was the longest stretch of games he’s been basically in that role.

But since that date, Jake has slashed .128/.160/.298 in 50 plate trips, so I can see why they’ve eased up on him the last few days. If Harris and Hinch were to commit to playing him three of every four games regardless of such results and damn the torpedoes, there would be a lot of torpedoes launched, including from here. Jake might be one of those many, many big leaguers who are fine when you play them part-time, but give them a full-time job and then you see everything they can’t do all the time. There are way more guys like that than there are legit everyday players.

As for his future, Jake’s already 28, so there’s only so much future you can expect from him. It’s probably 50-50, at best, that he makes it to the next playoff team. So it will be interesting to see whether Harris makes a big catcher move this winter, or else we roll the dice with Jake as the primary for another year.

Edited by chasfh

17 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

How can they have spent the whole season not knowing Vierling is their best 3b and it's not even close?

And TBH, his bat is pretty marginal for the OF unless he is in center, and that isn't going to happen with Riley here and Parker Meadows likely on the way.  So he's more valuable at 3B anyway.

That popup that dropped between him and Haase was something he hopefully learns from. Making mistakes isn't an issue if it teaches a lesson and doesn't happen again. Maybe neither player picked up the ball in the high sky...