11/12/2023 7:00 EDT Chicago Bulls vs Detroit Pistons

Tigeraholic1

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I suppose the theory is a great athlete may learn to shoot but a plodding shooter will never become athletic. If you like theory.....

i have no problem with them picking ausar.  i think he's already a great defender and a smart player.  you can see it when he cuts and when he passes.

he is going to be a very good - maybe even great - nba defensive player.

however, he cannot shoot at all.  he makes killian look like a deadeye marksman.  i think it will get better, but not appreciably better and that limits the type of player he can be.

if he could do all that he does AND shoot, he would have been the #2 pick in the draft and be a generational player.  as it is, he looks like he could be a generational defender.  a shorter, weaker dennis rodman; or a scottie pippen type without the offense.  nothing wrong with that for a ceiling.  especially at #5.

i think he's ultimately a winning player, but he'll always be a role player and a drag on the offense in a modern nba predicated on shooting.

i am interested to see if they match ausar on lavine full time tonight or split it with killian/cade.  i hate to see cade guarding the other team's better offensive players.  wastes his energy sibce he has to take all of the offense all by himself.

they really need a win tonight, but i wouldnt be surprised if the bulls are looking for a little revenge after last time.  if duren isnt healthy enough to go full speed i expect the bulls to win.

its hard to see the pistons winning many games with this current lineup and half their team injured.

53 minutes ago, buddha said:

i have no problem with them picking ausar.  i think he's already a great defender and a smart player.  you can see it when he cuts and when he passes.

he is going to be a very good - maybe even great - nba defensive player.

however, he cannot shoot at all.  he makes killian look like a deadeye marksman.  i think it will get better, but not appreciably better and that limits the type of player he can be.

if he could do all that he does AND shoot, he would have been the #2 pick in the draft and be a generational player.  as it is, he looks like he could be a generational defender.  a shorter, weaker dennis rodman; or a scottie pippen type without the offense.  nothing wrong with that for a ceiling.  especially at #5.

i think he's ultimately a winning player, but he'll always be a role player and a drag on the offense in a modern nba predicated on shooting.

I am optimistic he can become enough of a shooter that he needs to be defended honestly.

It’s been brought up before that Cunningham needs shooters around him.  Well, I think the same would work for Thompson.  With his athleticism and his willingness to cut to the basket to rebound, it should work where, if they can get 3 shooters on the court, he can dive to the bucket without the ball while Cunningham handles it.

Ideally everyone on the roster develop enough skills to the point where they are problems for the opponent in multiple facets.  Take Stewart.  He still needs work, but his 3 point shot is getting better.  And please, for the love of everything holy, shoot from there rather than try to back your defender down from there, ok, Stew?

3 hours ago, casimir said:

I am optimistic he can become enough of a shooter that he needs to be defended honestly.

It’s been brought up before that Cunningham needs shooters around him.  Well, I think the same would work for Thompson.  With his athleticism and his willingness to cut to the basket to rebound, it should work where, if they can get 3 shooters on the court, he can dive to the bucket without the ball while Cunningham handles it.

Ideally everyone on the roster develop enough skills to the point where they are problems for the opponent in multiple facets.  Take Stewart.  He still needs work, but his 3 point shot is getting better.  And please, for the love of everything holy, shoot from there rather than try to back your defender down from there, ok, Stew?

why are you optimistic he can shoot?  

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

why are you optimistic he can shoot?  

from what I could find he was 32% from 3pt in the OTE league and he's a decent FT shooter so at least he's not shot impaired the way a Rodman or Drummond were. At 20 you can hope there is upside but who ever knows?

Edited by gehringer_2

wiseman checks into the game, immediately goes 0-2 on stupid one on one moves where he refuses to pass, then fumbles the ball out of bounds, gets worked in the paint by drummond of all people.

fortunately the bulls bench sucks, sasser is playing well, and the pistons cut into the lead.

wiseman might be my least favorite piston of all time.