1/3 9PM Detroit Pistons @ Utah Jazz

38 minutes ago, buddha said:

hey adam silver, force the franchise to make changes! 

This is why he doesn't have to do anything. They can just remove the game from national tv and move right along.

As a side note, this is why I've been so against NBA expansion. The stars aren't just going to spread out for fun. You'll still have the same number of really good teams and just more bad ones. There will just be more teams like the Pistons, Wizards, and Spurs and that means less competitive games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I didn't watch. Why is Ivey only playing 22 minutes in an OT game where he shot 4-8 from the field and 2-3 from three. Did he get roasted on defense?

dunno.  burks and bogey shot really well.

as you might imagine, defense was optional.  an option the pistons chose not take.

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I didn't watch. Why is Ivey only playing 22 minutes in an OT game where he shot 4-8 from the field and 2-3 from three. Did he get roasted on defense?

He was actually pretty solid and was hitting shots on offense. But Burks was absolutely on fire and so was Bogey. You aren't taking Cade out, and Utah plays with two bigs, so Ivey didn't really get any minutes in the 4th or OT so they could keep Duren and Livers out there for some size. Not that Livers played well, but it was basically him or Knox at the 4 all night.

21 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

"I didn't even think about it"

Pretty much sums up his coaching career in Detroit.

btw, Livers is shooting 25% from 3 and Ausar is shooting 15%, so neither are spacing the floor. Which guy would you rather have out there when the other team is scoring at will and getting way too many offensive rebounds?

Unfortunately, Monty also hasn't even thought about how to use Ausar. Why not use him like GS uses Draymond who also can't shoot, but plays defense, rebounds, and makes the right passing reads.

21 hours ago, buddha said:

dunno.  burks and bogey shot really well.

as you might imagine, defense was optional.  an option the pistons chose not take.

The Jazzes chose to not play defense as well.  In fact, this was the highest scoring total for the Pistons in Salt Lake City in the history of ever.

8 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Unfortunately, Monty also hasn't even thought about how to use Ausar. Why not use him like GS uses Draymond who also can't shoot, but plays defense, rebounds, and makes the right passing reads.

Sure, that'd be great once the Pistons get Thompson surrounded by the kind of scoring talent that Golden State has.

8 hours ago, Betrayer said:

"I didn't even think about it"

Pretty much sums up his coaching career in Detroit.

btw, Livers is shooting 25% from 3 and Ausar is shooting 15%, so neither are spacing the floor. Which guy would you rather have out there when the other team is scoring at will and getting way too many offensive rebounds?

because he's not making the right passing reads.  he's turning the ball over a lot.

the pistons roster doesnt suit ausar.  you can have one non-shooter on the floor, but multiple non-shooters is offensive death.  ausar plus killian or ivey or stewart or duren or wiseman or livers is death.  the pistons simply dont have enough nba caliber players to play with ausar.

i agree with your overall point about monty not finding decent ways to use ausar, but i think the bigger point is that weaver has put him in an untenable position with his terrible roster construction.

but im not as high on ausar as everyone else here seems to be.  i am skeptical he will ever be able to shoot at an acceptable nba level.  i think his most likely career outcome is matthias thybulle or tony allen rather than draymond greene or dennis rodman.

4 hours ago, buddha said:

you can have one non-shooter on the floor, but multiple non-shooters is offensive death.  ausar plus killian or ivey or stewart or duren or wiseman or livers is death.  the pistons simply dont have enough nba caliber players to play with ausar.

yup. It keeps coming down to this. You can take each of the Piston's misfit toys and make a case in vacuo that they could be useful (except maybe Wiseman - 🤣), but not all or even more than one on the same team. It's the roster construction that is the even bigger fail than any of the individual players, and the that goes straight to Weaver's incompetence as a GM.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 hours ago, buddha said:

because he's not making the right passing reads.  he's turning the ball over a lot.

the pistons roster doesnt suit ausar.  you can have one non-shooter on the floor, but multiple non-shooters is offensive death.  ausar plus killian or ivey or stewart or duren or wiseman or livers is death.  the pistons simply dont have enough nba caliber players to play with ausar.

i agree with your overall point about monty not finding decent ways to use ausar, but i think the bigger point is that weaver has put him in an untenable position with his terrible roster construction.

but im not as high on ausar as everyone else here seems to be.  i am skeptical he will ever be able to shoot at an acceptable nba level.  i think his most likely career outcome is matthias thybulle or tony allen rather than draymond greene or dennis rodman.

I've watched all of these games and Ausar is very good at passing and making reads. He has a very high BBall IQ. His turnovers come from trying to do too much off the dribble, which is totally different. His handle is loose, but I'm not asking him to play PG.

Draymond isn't great at dribbling either and he's often playing alongside Looney who's not a shooter (like Duren) and Wiggins who's shooting 30% from three. They use him in DHOs or at the elbow while guys are screening and cutting. Obviously, we don't have Curry, but imagine Ivey zooming around off-ball screens. Bogey is also very good at shooting off of screens. If Duren's defender tries to step up on Ivey/Bogey, he's got a easy cut to the rim with a lob. Not saying they'll be GS 2.0, but it would certainly be better than what we're seeing.

Of course, that would require Monty to be creative offensively and he's trash. There's no off-ball movement, cutting, he can't even figure out something as basic as Ausar in the dunker spot on a Cade/Duren pick and roll. Or that same play inverted.

There are VERY basic ways to use Ausar's strengths in the offense rather than stick him in the strong side corner where his man can easily double with no penalty. This coaching is criminal.

And even for this hopeless offense that Monty is running, is playing Livers a better idea? He's gives you far less in every other aspect of the game, isn't a cornerstone of the team, and his shooting is M.I.A. (25% from three).

• Like 1