Media Guides

I've got a bunch of research projects on the side and I've found the Tigers media guides to be wealths of information. I've found a bunch on Amazon and Ebay for super cheap. The Tigers used to post them, as well as archives back to 2008, online. They took those down a few years ago. Searching around the web, I've found most back to 1961, but am missing a few.

Does anybody have digital copies of any of these, pulling them down when they were available? Much appreciated if so. Some things I'm trying to gather and share:

• Granular transaction data (promotions/demotions/injuries... things not covered by BR/Retrosheet)
  • Archived Tigers Coaching Staffs, major and minor leagues, scouts, and front office.
  • International Signings

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Thanks guys. A bunch did just come from Ebay and reek of cigarette smoke to the point I'm not sure they are usable.

Gil Hodges died of a heart attack age 47.  I remember having a baseball card of him and thinking how old he looked as a manager. 

Gil-Hodges.jpg?resize=593,576&ssl=1

By the way, the end goal is a comprehensive transaction and team personnel database, something that isn't really out there. Step 1 is attempting to put an index of every Tigers amateur international signing together.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2024 at 2:57 PM, Edman85 said:

I've got a bunch of research projects on the side and I've found the Tigers media guides to be wealths of information. I've found a bunch on Amazon and Ebay for super cheap. The Tigers used to post them, as well as archives back to 2008, online. They took those down a few years ago. Searching around the web, I've found most back to 1961, but am missing a few.

Does anybody have digital copies of any of these, pulling them down when they were available? Much appreciated if so. Some things I'm trying to gather and share:

• Granular transaction data (promotions/demotions/injuries... things not covered by BR/Retrosheet)
  • Archived Tigers Coaching Staffs, major and minor leagues, scouts, and front office.
  • International Signings

I've uploaded 2014 through 2017 for you. I'll see whether I can locate any more.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I've uploaded 2014 through 2017 for you. I'll see whether I can locate any more.

Awesome!!!!

(Also, I didn't realize I gave write privileges. Don't be offended if I take those away. I fear accidental deletions)

Edited by Edman85

TRIVIA!

Who was the first player signed by the Tigers out of the Dominican Republic to play in the major leagues?

They were the 24th of 26 teams to produce a big leaguer out of the DR. The Mariners' first debut was right after the Tiger's guy. The Cubs weren't until three years later.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

TRIVIA!

Who was the first player signed by the Tigers out of the Dominican Republic to play in the major leagues?

They were the 24th of 26 teams to produce a big leaguer out of the DR. The Mariners' first debut was right after the Tiger's guy. The Cubs weren't until three years later.

Danny Bautista

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I've got a chart of analytics positions I'm putting together, and that department has grown from two in the late Dombrowski era to at least 37 (that I know of) analytics or analytics adjacent staffers.

If you assume a cost of $200K per person, including salary,benefits, taxes, that’s  $7.4M a year. I would think that more than pays for itself with average results. 

20 hours ago, Edman85 said:

If I was sure it was a $200K a year job, I would have sent Menzin my resume already...

I have always assumed that these baseball analytic jobs don't pay well since there is probably a large pool of qualified and interested candidates.  

anytime we budget a head we use close to that figure.  It’s not their salary but the total cost involved of having an employee or consultant/contractor.   It’s just for very high level ballpark estimates. 

23 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I have always assumed that these baseball analytic jobs don't pay well since there is probably a large pool of qualified and interested candidates.  

Also, baseball doesn’t pay basic analysts well since they bring in people right out of college for it. These are stepping-stone jobs with a lot of turnover. I would not be surprised to learn they make less than $50K. 

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

Also, baseball doesn’t pay basic analysts well since they bring in people right out of college for it. These are stepping-stone jobs with a lot of turnover. I would not be surprised to learn they make less than $50K. 

Yes, I have noticed that some of the jobs specifically ask for a college student or very recent graduate.  

22 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, I have noticed that some of the jobs specifically ask for a college student or very recent graduate.  

One job the Tigers posted this year, "principal analyst," required a PhD. Most of their analytics hires do tend to be recent grads, converted interns.

I will say in my job, we have had more success molding younger folks than taking on people with experience.