Bagley and Livers traded

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

This trade is not about Gallinari and Muscala.

It's not about winning the trade.

It's certainly not about defense. Or a bright future (for the guys we traded for).

It's not even about dumping Bagley's contract.

And maybe they (Danilo and Muscala) can find a little extra gas and hit some 3's at better rates than they have this season... or maybe not. I'm not wishful thinking at all about this.

This trade is SOLELY... about developing Cade-Ivey-Duren-etc. Maybe Danilo doesn't do any better than Livers. And Muscala doesn't do any better than Bagley. But on a WAG: I think it helps those guys and the other kids a WHOLE lot better than Bagley & Livers. I think it will help floor spacing (I obviously think the two will start shooting better... with more floor time) which will help the kids. And maybe it even gets an extra couple wins... So I'm certainly not saying WOW! I'm not. I just think it helps the kids more, and maybe gets a couple wins for the team instead of another 20-something losing streak. 

Muscala is the bench Center, BTW. Wiseman is now garbage-time Center. Only. IMO.

this trade has nothing to do with this season.  its about getting expiring contracts and using those contracts to either 1) use money in free agency or 2) use it in a trade for someone else's big contract they no longer want.  

like zach lavine.  or maybe jerami grant.  or maybe someone else this summer when teams are trying to avoid the tax/apron.

it has nothing to do with those players making a difference this year.

if it DID, i would really question the front office's acumen.  actually, if it DID, i would really start to think they were intentionally trying to lose in order to get fired.

If reporters are right and this was a trade to set up something in the future.  I doubt these guys ever see much time here.  These guys are trade chips, actually their contracts are.  Combined they provide $10m in expiring contracts which could be attractive to a team looking to cut salary.  

Knowing Weaver and his love of reclamation projects, keep an eye on Patrick Williams from Chicago.  His salary?  $9.8m.

23 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I vote for using the offseason cap room on a "poison pill" offer to an RFA.

My recommendation: Offer a $35Mill 2024 salary to Tyrese Maxey. With a lower salary thereafter. Can that be done in the NBA?

Absolutely.  But it seems unlikely a guy like Maxey would sign that type of deal.

He will get a max contract which means his first year salary will be 25% of the cap.  We would then be asking him to lower his salary each year while every other team would be increasing it.  

Who cares about this trade, it's a nothing. The 2nds are nothing, the expiring contract players are nothing, Bagley's contract is something bad but his contract also wasn't preventing them from doing anything because all they have is cap space even with him so that's a nothing. It's a deck chair shuffling.

The moral of this story is that they're loading up to add mediocre players being paid much more than mediocre money. Blake Griffin Part 2 is coming, you know, I know it, we all know it. Just prepare for the worst so you're not surprised when it actually happens. The question is, who will be the mediocre player? LaVine? Tobias? Anybody want to interject a player to throw on the giant pile of mediocre? Jerami Grant? That would be best case scenario and he's vastly overpaid although a good player. It ain't gonna be Siakam and even he's getting on the wrong side of his prime.

Edited by NYLion

17 hours ago, buddha said:

this trade has nothing to do with this season....

Gores said otherwise.

But...

I mean... I do get what it does for the team in the offseason. 

But...

Also, Tom Gores DID say he wanted changes, and he wanted them "NOW". Which... I am taking to mean this season.

8 hours ago, NYLion said:

Who cares about this trade, it's a nothing. The 2nds are nothing, the expiring contract players are nothing, Bagley's contract is something bad but his contract also wasn't preventing them from doing anything because all they have is cap space even with him so that's a nothing. It's a deck chair shuffling.

The moral of this story is that they're loading up to add mediocre players being paid much more than mediocre money. Blake Griffin Part 2 is coming, you know, I know it, we all know it. Just prepare for the worst so you're not surprised when it actually happens. The question is, who will be the mediocre player? LaVine? Tobias? Anybody want to interject a player to throw on the giant pile of mediocre? Jerami Grant? That would be best case scenario and he's vastly overpaid although a good player. It ain't gonna be Siakam and even he's getting on the wrong side of his prime.

That's why I'd rather hunt RFA's... who will be young enough to actually have a future (and hopefully some high-end talent as well...).

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

That's why I'd rather hunt RFA's... who will be young enough to actually have a future (and hopefully some high-end talent as well...).

Restricted free agency is generally a bad idea.  You almost always have to overpay so their current team does not match.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Gores said otherwise.

But...

I mean... I do get what it does for the team in the offseason. 

But...

Also, Tom Gores DID say he wanted changes, and he wanted them "NOW". Which... I am taking to mean this season.

if that were true its just more evidence that tom gores has no ****ing clue.

i cant believe ANYONE on this board thinks the corpse of danilo galinari is somehow a "win now" move.  

1 hour ago, buddha said:

if that were true its just more evidence that tom gores has no ****ing clue.

i cant believe ANYONE on this board thinks the corpse of danilo galinari is somehow a "win now" move.  

It's NOT a win now move. IMO. I already stated that.

It's a "help Cade-Ivey-Duren now" move IMO. 

Even the corpses of Danilo Galinari and Mike Muscala should help spread the floor more, to those 3 guys benefit, than Livers and Bagley. Which is all I've ever said.

Yes?

No?

22 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Even the corpses of Danilo Galinari and Mike Muscala should help spread the floor more, to those 3 guys benefit, than Livers and Bagley. Which is all I've ever said.

Yes?

No?

it has nothing to do with that.  youre just looking at what you think danilo galinari is (tall, can shoot 3s) and thinking "hey, the pistons need shooting and floor spacers so that will help."

yet, he doesnt shoot 3s much anymore.  he doesnt play much anymore.  he cant defend anyone who can move anymore.  like isaiah stewart, teams arent likely to defend him much on the perimeter because his shot is inconsistent and he cant make an offensive move once teams close down.

in theory, this is better than marvin bagley.  in reality, this means even more james wiseman at the 5 and less offense than what bagley brought (bagley was actually decent on offense this year).

i understand what you think galinari is, but i dont think he is that player anymore.  its like joe harris: he used to be good.  he is no longer that player.

this move was made for contracts with an outside idea of galinari getting playing time so he can possibly get a contract next year (the boss' son is his agent.  see trading three second round picks to take deivydas).

not to mention trading away two second round picks to make this move, one of which is the pistons 2025 pick which will be very high on the draft board.  once again, a terrible use of assets by a gm who has made a career of terribly using assets.

• Like 1

This move has nothing to do with playing Gallinari or Muscala or them helping the team this year. It was Weaver trying to get off the Bagley contract he shouldn't have signed and get more expiring contracts so he can be a player when someone else wants to sell their overpaid "Star".

Problem is he's terrible at asset management so he got fleeced again.

He gave up draft picks to get Bagley and now had to give up 2 more to move off of him. And before we say that 2nd rounders don't mean anything, they actually have more value with the new cap rules because apron teams can't add players the way they used to. Also, the 2025 pick is the Piston's own, meaning it'll be a good one.

On top of that, if you look at what the Wizards community is saying, both of these guys were potential buy-out candidates.  They're healthy DNPs on the wrong side of the their career who are shooting terribly this year. So the Wizards got 2 first round picks for nothing and all we got was 1 less year of the Bagley contract that shouldn't have existed.

The scary part of it is we all know Troy doesn't play in Free Agency. This money isn't going to be here for the next GM. He's going to use a huge chunk of it in trades before the deadline or before free agency. Get ready for moves from a bad GM trying to save his job. Here comes Blake Griffin again.

This trade really means nothing other than proving Troy's poor asset management skills yet again, but the thing that makes me the most sad is that we made a trade and yet Killian and Wiseman are still on the team getting significant rotation minutes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 11:39 AM, 1984Echoes said:

Yes?

No?

20240208_204432.jpg