11/17/2021 07:00 EST Indiana Pacers @ Detroit Pistons

casimir

Didn't see the game but its nice to find out the Pistons won, even though they haven't been good this year its always a pleasant surprise to see a win against the Pacers. Seems like we always lose to them.

Nothing really stands out in the box score, Cade went 16,8 and 7 but was only 1 of 8 from beyond the arc. No idea what the shots looked like but it could be tired legs as it is his 4th game in 6th nights. Before this year he may not play that many in 2 weeks. 

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Didn't see the game but its nice to find out the Pistons won, even though they haven't been good this year its always a pleasant surprise to see a win against the Pacers. Seems like we always lose to them.

Nothing really stands out in the box score, Cade went 16,8 and 7 but was only 1 of 8 from beyond the arc. No idea what the shots looked like but it could be tired legs as it is his 4th game in 6th nights. Before this year he may not play that many in 2 weeks. 

what stands out in the box score is killian only getting 20 minutes and cade shooting poorly.  but i didnt see the game either so i dont really know what happened.

good to see bey shoot well from 3, i suppose.

Cade was good, I couldn't care less that he shot poor from 3 because I know those shots will start falling. He's doing everything else really well. It's why a box score only tells a small part of the story because you look at the 3 point shooting and assume he sucked but, no.

Also, he came up big in the clutch AGAIN. In a close game midway through the 4th, he drew back in and the first 4 possessions went like this... Cade hits a mid range J, Cade drives past a guy and scores at the rim through contact, Cade drives past a guy and dishes out to CoJo for a three, Cade drives past a guy and dishes out to Frank Jackson for a three. Not to mention that he shut Brogdon down, down the stretch. The kid is good, really good, and is really clutch. Once the threes start falling, he's going to be a load to handle.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 2

Watched the game as usual (I mean, I haven't missed a Pistons game in 20 years now) and it was definitely a fun one.

Cade - This kid is good. As others have already said, he came up huge in this game. Played solid defense, hit shots and made plays in the clutch. Even for all the talk of his "lack of athleticism" I rarely see him struggle to get to the rim or get an open look when he attacks...and we're not even 10 games into his NBA career yet. Also, it's great to see everyone - and I mean everyone - deferring to him already as the primary ball handler.

Killian - That hand is a problem. He's fighting through it and I commend his grit, but he may need to take some time off for it to heal. Also, his defense is next level good. I could see him making first team all-defense at some point in his career. If his 3pt shooting this year isn't a fluke and he continues to improve in that area, there's no reason he can't be a really good NBA player as a 3 and D guard who can be a secondary ball handler. Imagine if Bruce Brown had figured out that 3pt shot and could handle the ball - only I think Hayes may be an even better defender already at age 20. Again, he hasn't even played half of an NBA season yet.

Josh vs Hami - Josh and Hami are a bit redundant in Casey's view, so I suppose only one of them gets to play. Honestly, I'm ok with this. For every good play Josh makes, he makes another bad play. Beginning to feel like Josh is what he is and I see a lot more potential with Hami (if he can ever figure that 3pt shot out). Hami got some run and was neither bad nor good, although it was nice to see someone with elite athleticism out there. He had one block from behind that was just sick.

Frank and Bey - Seem to be finding their shot again. I like Bey and I know a lot of people are really high on him, but I'm seeing him as a Jae Crowder in his prime type of player: Going to get you 14 points, 5 rebounds, good defense, high IQ every night. He's not your #1 or #2 player, and probably not even your #3 player on a championship team, but he could be that 4th guy in the starting lineup who you can't leave open on offense and will be a bulldog on defense night in and night out.

Stewart - Solid comeback game after a pretty bad outing against SAC. I still wonder if he's the right fit as a starting center though. We really need an athletic lob threat, shot blocking, rebounding big. Someone that can make defenses pay in the pick and roll with Cade. Love Beef Stew's effort and ability to switch on defense, but I question his ceiling. Either way, I want him to remain a Piston and I think he could be great feasting on backups as the primary bench big man once we find our Mobley type of player.

CoJo - Finally had a nice game, but I just don't care. Play Saben and develop him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice summary Betrayer, I've only watched like 4 or 5 games this year and when I do Im almost exclusively focused on Cade so I really haven't even paid attention to other guys. 

I think you're write up of Cade is spot on, out of the times I watched him I came away impressed by some facet of his game everytime.

My only concern is that I wonder if he just has an inconsistent outside shot. Like he may shoot 40 to 45% for the year but it will come from shooting 50+ for a couple weeks but 20% for the next couple. 

I say that not only cause of the small sample we have seen thus far but from watching him in college. I watched a game where he scored 40 something and looked like Steph Curry but also watched him score like 4 pts while going Ofer from deep. I know most players can be inconsistent from the outside but some more than others and he may be like that. 

6 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Killian - That hand is a problem. He's fighting through it and I commend his grit, but he may need to take some time off for it to heal. Also, his defense is next level good. I could see him making first team all-defense at some point in his career. If his 3pt shooting this year isn't a fluke and he continues to improve in that area, there's no reason he can't be a really good NBA player as a 3 and D guard who can be a secondary ball handler. Imagine if Bruce Brown had figured out that 3pt shot and could handle the ball - only I think Hayes may be an even better defender already at age 20. Again, he hasn't even played half of an NBA season yet.

Yes, I want to see more out of him before he gets written off.  His rookie season was a tale of two players, and I thought it was interesting how much he looked like a better player after his injury.  All players are different, but maybe sitting gave him an opportunity watch the game up close which could’ve been beneficial for him?  I don’t know.