11/27 Sabres @ Red Wings

1984Echoes

1 hour ago, buddha said:

they beat a bad buffalo team in ot at home.

i like this team and think they will be good in a couple years, but lets not get too excited just yet.  its buffalo.

St. Louis is a good team. The Wings have beaten a few other good teams this season: Washington, Vegas, Edmonton. 

Yeah, they're not legit playoff contenders yet, but if you take care of business against bad teams and win the odd home game against good teams you can probably hang around the fringe of the playoff race until the February Olympic break.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

they beat a bad buffalo team in ot at home.

i like this team and think they will be good in a couple years, but lets not get too excited just yet.  its buffalo.

Yzerman has hit homeruns with Raymond and Seider and maybe with Edvinsson, but we're going to need to get more than one guy from those drafts...

8 hours ago, buddha said:

... its buffalo.

I'm not excited about Buffalo.

I'm excited about the young kids that have graduated to the Red Wings (Bertuzzi, Raymond, Seider in particular), been traded for (Vrana, Ned, even Fabbri to some degree), and are still on the way, hopefully arriving soon.

And not all of them need to be stars. Effective 3rd-liners are just as valuable at building out a contending team as your top-shelf talent.

And pretty much all due to Yzerman.

I'm excited about the general direction of the team and I don't even care about the playoffs... this year. But I love the team-building aspect of watching a team grow into a contender... and I love watching lots of young kids coming up and infusing the team with talent, energy, and excitement.

So... should I be excited about that?

Am I allowed? (said with a wink 😉 , not necessarily snarkiness).

11 hours ago, lordstanley said:

St. Louis is a good team. The Wings have beaten a few other good teams this season: Washington, Vegas, Edmonton. 

Yeah, they're not legit playoff contenders yet, but if you take care of business against bad teams and win the odd home game against good teams you can probably hang around the fringe of the playoff race until the February Olympic break.

i think they will hang around the edges for a while unless they suffer some injuries to key guys like larkin or bertuzzi.

i think the wings should be back to being good in a couple years and their prospects are exciting.  i trust the yzerplan.  but its going to take a while.  i think we're finding out just how little he was left to work with when he got here.

43 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

How long is Vrana expected to be out?

Surgery near the end of September, about 4 month estimated recovery.  So ideally looking like end of January?  The word has been quiet, I know one of the announcers mentioned seeing him high fiving in the room after a game and he said he was hoping to return quicker than 4 months.  But I would say no news is probably bad news and he's still rehabbing.  I'm intrigued to see how he fits to the lineup, adding a dangerous shot is always nice.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Surgery near the end of September, about 4 month estimated recovery.  So ideally looking like end of January?  The word has been quiet, I know one of the announcers mentioned seeing him high fiving in the room after a game and he said he was hoping to return quicker than 4 months.  But I would say no news is probably bad news and he's still rehabbing.  I'm intrigued to see how he fits to the lineup, adding a dangerous shot is always nice.

Earlier this month Blashill said something to the effect of even under the best of circumstance they would run into the Olympics before he could be ready but even then he didn't say anything in particular about how Vrana was doing.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

I wonder if the NHL will go to the Olympics. Controversy about the WTA player and other politics, appears China can’t ice a competitive team so might be frozen out, and Covid is causing some cancellations most recently of NYI games. 

I was excited to see NHL players at the Olympics again but it feels like it may not happen with how things are trending.