Michigan's Hamlet-like debate about its own soul re: transfers and NIL

romad1

22 hours ago, romad1 said:

Because the NFL is superior? 

No, I don't believe that.  I'm pretty sure Harbaugh doesn't believe that.  I don't think it's about being superior - I think Harbaugh may want to try to win at the next level again. I think he sees it as a challenge.

32 minutes ago, djhutch said:

No, I don't believe that.  I'm pretty sure Harbaugh doesn't believe that.  I don't think it's about being superior - I think Harbaugh may want to try to win at the next level again. I think he sees it as a challenge.

he needs to win at this level. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 12:26 AM, romad1 said:

The departure of Schissell seems oddly timed with the departure of Las Vegas Raiders from the playoffs.

I don't think the Board of Regents care nearly enough about football (relative to billions of dollars in ongoing university operations) to nefariously time something like that.

I think a more reasonable theoretical relation between Schlissel and Harbaugh is that if Warde Manual knew there was writing on the wall for Schlissel being ousted, it's possible he and Harbaugh agreed to not finalize anything until MSC was re-installed, so that a disgraced lame duck wasn't signing off on a mega-deal.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

42 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think the Board of Regents care nearly enough about football (relative to billions of dollars in ongoing university operations) to nefariously time something like that.

I think a more reasonable theoretical relation between Schlissel and Harbaugh is that if Warde Manual knew there was writing on the wall for Schlissel being ousted, it's possible he and Harbaugh agreed to not finalize anything until MSC was re-installed, so that a disgraced lame duck wasn't signing off on a mega-deal.

yep

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

quite possible. Or they are just not in any hurry. 

Interestingly enough, straightening out the Athletic dept has been a major success under Schlissel, notwithstanding that he seemed to have little or no interest in it.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

MCS and G2 both of you are in A2 or have some links to the town.  Do people think he's leaving?  My own network seem to think he's staying.  

Harbaugh dances to a tune only he can hear. I don't know whether he is staying or going but I can probably guarantee none of the talking heads out there have any real idea either. I tend to think he stays. I think to Harbaugh, MI feels like his place in the world. Now if something drastic happened - like a situation where the regents or admin put MI in some kind of untenable competitive situation where he just didn't want to coach anymore - sure I could see him leaving, but I don't think the possibility of that, while real, is more than tiny.

57 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Harbaugh dances to a tune only he can hear. I don't know whether he is staying or going but I can probably guarantee none of the talking heads out there have any real idea either. I tend to think he stays. I think to Harbaugh, MI feels like his place in the world. Now if something drastic happened - like a situation where the regents or admin put MI in some kind of untenable competitive situation where he just didn't want to coach anymore - sure I could see him leaving, but I don't think the possibility of that, while real, is more than tiny.

he lives next door to his dad, his kids are in the same schools he went to.  i think that's important to him.

but i dont know anything.  i think michigan will pay him, but whether they change their transfer procedures and nil procedures, they arent going to be able to compete.  harbaugh likely knows that and might bail if he thinks it will be an issue.