01/10/2022 07:00 EST Utah Jazz @ Detroit Pistons

casimir

Hopefully Cade can finish this one strong.  Nice to finally see some of that #1 pick potential.  

I love Saddiq but man he is so much better shooting any kind of jump shot than he is going to the rim and shooting some kind of wild runner/layup.  He is a big time weapon though I think with the right players around him.  

Another non impactul game for Hayes.  Let him come off the bench where he can play less of a supporting role.  He just disappears out there next to Cade.  

Diallo continues to play well though.  Low volume since Cade came back but he's at least efficient.  

Edited by Hart

2 hours ago, Hart said:

Hopefully Cade can finish this one strong.  Nice to finally see some of that #1 pick potential.  

I love Saddiq but man he is so much better shooting any kind of jump shot than he is going to the rim and shooting some kind of wild runner/layup.  He is a big time weapon though I think with the right players around him.  

Another non impactul game for Hayes.  Let him come off the bench where he can play less of a supporting role.  He just disappears out there next to Cade.  

Diallo continues to play well though.  Low volume since Cade came back but he's at least efficient.  

saddiq is a 3 and d guy.  stand at the 3 point line and let cade find you.

4-2 in the New Year all without Grant with the young guys driving it (namely Bey and Diallo who have flourished without Grant). I keep repeating myself but I don't see the point in keeping Grant anymore and in fact, I think his return might stunt growth if anything. Sell High Troy, you have a month to do the right thing.

Such a fun game to watch after a really slow start out of the gate. Cade and Bey leading the charge. Diallo was playing well so I was a bit confused about JJ taking his minutes to finish the 4th, but maybe they're trying to move him before the deadline and need to give him some extra time.

Probably need to address the elephants in the room: Hayes and Stew. Time to move Hayes to the bench to run that unit. I was hopeful with his 3pt percentage early on, but he's just a non-factor out there 90% of the time. Maybe running the second unit with less pressure can make him more aggressive. Any of Frank, Saben, or CoJo would be better with the starters.

As for Stew, this team is just better with someone on the court who can be a factor on the offensive end or a threat in the pick and roll. Whether that's Lyles or Kelly (when he comes back), it may be time to move Stew to the bench unit as well. I think that's where he belongs long-term anyway. He's got a great heart, but he's limited simply due to his size, lack of offensive skill, and lack of athleticism.

20 hours ago, buddha said:

saddiq is a 3 and d guy.  stand at the 3 point line and let cade find you.

I agree and would add there are varying levels of 3 and d guys and he should be near the top because he needs so little space to get a good shot up.  There was one play last night Cade kicked it out to Saddiq and it was a bad pass that allowed the defense to recover but Saddiq was still able to get the shot up and knock it down.  

Edited by Hart

8 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Such a fun game to watch after a really slow start out of the gate. Cade and Bey leading the charge. Diallo was playing well so I was a bit confused about JJ taking his minutes to finish the 4th, but maybe they're trying to move him before the deadline and need to give him some extra time.

Probably need to address the elephants in the room: Hayes and Stew. Time to move Hayes to the bench to run that unit. I was hopeful with his 3pt percentage early on, but he's just a non-factor out there 90% of the time. Maybe running the second unit with less pressure can make him more aggressive. Any of Frank, Saben, or CoJo would be better with the starters.

As for Stew, this team is just better with someone on the court who can be a factor on the offensive end or a threat in the pick and roll. Whether that's Lyles or Kelly (when he comes back), it may be time to move Stew to the bench unit as well. I think that's where he belongs long-term anyway. He's got a great heart, but he's limited simply due to his size, lack of offensive skill, and lack of athleticism.

I don't know that Stewart is the long term answer but I don't think he hinders the starters near to the extent that Hayes does.  Hayes needs to go to the bench for his own good because he is basically not getting developed out there with Cade running the offense.  

On 1/11/2022 at 7:39 PM, Hart said:

I don't know that Stewart is the long term answer but I don't think he hinders the starters near to the extent that Hayes does.  Hayes needs to go to the bench for his own good because he is basically not getting developed out there with Cade running the offense.  

I think Hayes with the starters is hurting his own development, but Stew with the starters is hurting everyone else's.

At least 3 of Cade's turnovers in the Bulls game were due to Stew's bad hands and inability to be a vertical threat. Both Cade and Killian were touted as tremendous pick and roll players, but between Coach Casey's terrible "dribble-hand-off into an iso" offense and Stew's lack of ability to be the roll guy when they do try the pick and roll, you've got a developmental mess out there in the starting lineup.

There's a reason why this team has looked so much better on the offensive end when Lyles is out there with the starters, and it's not because Lyles is a good player. It's simply because he's at least a mediocre threat to score.

1 minute ago, Betrayer said:

I think Hayes with the starters is hurting his own development, but Stew with the starters is hurting everyone else's.

At least 3 of Cade's turnovers in the Bulls game were due to Stew's bad hands and inability to be a vertical threat. Both Cade and Killian were touted as tremendous pick and roll players, but between Coach Casey's terrible "dribble-hand-off into an iso" offense and Stew's lack of ability to be the roll guy when they do try the pick and roll, you've got a developmental mess out there in the starting lineup.

There's a reason why this team has looked so much better on the offensive end when Lyles is out there with the starters, and it's not because Lyles is a good player. It's simply because he's at least a mediocre threat to score.

trey lyles might be my least favorite piston since bob mcadoo.  ive never seen a guy be as pathetic on defense and as stupid on offense.  yes, he is a threat to score because he's an ok shooter for a big man, but he's selfish and just does dumb things.

not disagreeing with your post, just commenting on lyles in general.  that bulls game was such garbage play it really pissed me off and soured me even more on this collection of players.

they better get something decent for grant.

22 hours ago, buddha said:

trey lyles might be my least favorite piston since bob mcadoo.  ive never seen a guy be as pathetic on defense and as stupid on offense.  yes, he is a threat to score because he's an ok shooter for a big man, but he's selfish and just does dumb things.

Totally agree. I don't like Lyles at all. Which is why it infuriates me even more that they look better with him on the court than Stew. This team needs a competent pick n' roll big in a bad way.

23 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Totally agree. I don't like Lyles at all. Which is why it infuriates me even more that they look better with him on the court than Stew. This team needs a competent pick n' roll big in a bad way.

that game against the bulls was infuriating.  ayo comes down the court on a breakaway and lyles just reaches out to touch him.  not grab him.  not prevent him from scoring.  not even go for the ball.  he just touches him, giving ayo an easy and one.

it so amazing i almost couldnt believe it.  made me wonder if he had money on the bulls -14.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buddha said:

that game against the bulls was infuriating.  ayo comes down the court on a breakaway and lyles just reaches out to touch him.  not grab him.  not prevent him from scoring.  not even go for the ball.  he just touches him, giving ayo an easy and one.

it so amazing i almost couldnt believe it.  made me wonder if he had money on the bulls -14.

In my mind, the ref called that foul on ill advised intent rather than an actual physical foul.  It didn't appear like there was enough of a "touch" for a foul, but the ref saw what Lyles was doing and thought, "wow, that's pathetic play, pathetic enough that I'm calling a foul on the pathetic attempt itself".

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

In my mind, the ref called that foul on ill advised intent rather than an actual physical foul.  It didn't appear like there was enough of a "touch" for a foul, but the ref saw what Lyles was doing and thought, "wow, that's pathetic play, pathetic enough that I'm calling a foul on the pathetic attempt itself".

but he did reach out and touch him.  he reached out his arms and just made such a feeble attempt to do anything to stop him, but he DID touch him.  it was a foul.  just a ridiculous play by lyles.

cade or hayes was standing right there and gave lyles a look like "wtf are you doing?"

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

Isn't that Olynyk?

I mean I get that he's injured... but he's the starter if he's healthy and that solves the Stew issue. Yes, Stew should be coming off the bench as the "energy guy"...

But it's Olynyk that would solve the PnR problem... aside from health that is...

43 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Isn't that Olynyk?

I mean I get that he's injured... but he's the starter if he's healthy and that solves the Stew issue. Yes, Stew should be coming off the bench as the "energy guy"...

But it's Olynyk that would solve the PnR problem... aside from health that is...

sort of.  he'll be better - and smarter - than lyles.  but what they really NEED is a rim runner who can catch lobs from cade and hayes.  and that aint olynyk.  he's a pick and pop guy.

he'll help, but not as much as a a 7 foot guy with long arms who can jump.  which isaiah stewart is not.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, buddha said:

sort of.  he'll be better - and smarter - than lyles.  but what they really NEED is a rim runner who can catch lobs from cade and hayes.  and that aint olynyk.  he's a pick and pop guy.

he'll help, but not as much as a a 7 foot guy with long arms who can jump.  which isaiah stewart is not.

This 100%.

And they need that same guy for rim protection and competent rebounding on the other end too.